• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D_Eclipse9916

• dans2k

• kbrew8991

• Balroks

I have forwarded this link to Greg, and it could be interesting, as the current BFG R1 tires are already +13 due to consistent oversizing relative to their sidewall-marked widths.

Mark

205/50-15 R6 and A6- Section width- 8.7" tread width- 8"

205/50-15 BFG R1 and R1S- section width- 8.4" tread width- 8"

The difference being I have to use my spare 3 points to run the R1, or spend the 3points and 60$ more per tire to run the A6. Seems the R1 isn't as fast as an A6, but lasts longer. If I'm not winning contingency, kind of hard to stay with hoosiers, but in certain sizes, the rules are biased towards the hoosier.

That is from the spec sheets, I think the decision was based on actual measurements of tires mounted on rims.

I'll measure the R6's I currently have mounted and if i do run the R1 for my next set of tires I will definitely measure them as well and provide that data to my local coordinator and Greg if there is not a difference in size, or if the size difference goes in favor of the hoosier.

I also believe some of the larger sizes in the R1 are much larger than their Hoosier counterpart. The 275 Hoosier is much smaller than the 275 R1. I saw them side by side un-mounted. I think the R1 is 10.9" wide and the A/R is 10.3".

Seems like that is not true for the smaller ones though. If that is the case, I don't see why they all have to be 13 points.

I also believe some of the larger sizes in the R1 are much larger than their Hoosier counterpart. The 275 Hoosier is much smaller than the 275 R1. I saw them side by side un-mounted. I think the R1 is 10.9" wide and the A/R is 10.3".

Seems like that is not true for the smaller ones though. If that is the case, I don't see why they all have to be 13 points.

Agreed. For a lot of us, it's between a 13pt A6 or 13pt R1 - not a difficult choice for TT.

For PT though, it's a different story. And according to the specsheets, both the A6/R6 vs the R1 in a 245 are nearly identical - but the R1 has a much better contingency.

Agreed. For a lot of us, it's between a 13pt A6 or 13pt R1 - not a difficult choice for TT.

For PT though, it's a different story. And according to the specsheets, both the A6/R6 vs the R1 in a 245 are nearly identical - but the R1 has a much better contingency.

I just mounted a set of 245 R6s and put them side by side a set of r1s on the same size rim, and they look and measure identical... I just sucks I can't use the R1s! There's no way they should be the same as a R6, especially with a new compound coming out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Until further notice, we will allow the R1S to compete as a +15 point tire. This is merely a very temporary points assessment pending further decisions on tires.

• National Staff

We need more data. Also, with the slower R1 at +13, we don't have much choice but to start at +15 and see if we can move it down. Also, with only 33 pages on the +13 point tire thread, I'm not sure that we will be able to make any decisions in June. I was hoping for at least another 60 pages.

At least it is now legal for competition.

• National Staff

Dan, we are going to try and have our decisions made in June for 2013, not for 2012. So, you are good to go on the A6's for the '12 Championships.

• 2 weeks later...
ok great i think I read that already but forgot too many beers and blows to the head

Quit hitting things with your car...

I think they're getting slapped with +13/15 due to marketing, real world feedback I've read has them right in the same ballpark as +10/13 Hoosier A/R respectively. Lighter cars being a little slower with em, heavier cars doing a little bit better.