BGF goodrich auto-x tire? +13?

dans2k

feedback on if a tire works for cars similar to yours is useful no matter what club logo is on the side...

Just ordered a set. Will be comparing side-by-side with a sticker set of A6s to get accurate results for a GTS2 E36 m3.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D_Eclipse9916

• dans2k

• kbrew8991

• Balroks

feedback on if a tire works for cars similar to yours is useful no matter what club logo is on the side...

Just ordered a set. Will be comparing side-by-side with a sticker set of A6s to get accurate results for a GTS2 E36 m3.

Nice, look forward to it - helpful informative person whom doesn't whine like Ken

you're the one going all "ohhh man I can't find any info from people that run these tires" when you're not even really looking (because the info IS out there, useful info too, and doesn't take long to find). Sorry for pointing that out and calling YOU the whiner

Seriously Matt, I'd be listening to a guy with an SCCA T2 Evo on which tire seems to work better, tire pressures to start with, etc before I listen to a GTS2 BMW. Not that the BMW is bad or whatnot, but...

Well i'm not debating that, just curious on how the compound holds up regardless and maybe to stir up what was a good conversation here or the SE one but that died. In the beginning of the year people HERE claimed to begin testing it, but it's gone quiet....hence. BTW i've read all that and sounds promsing, or else I wouldn't have brought it up....HERE.

you're the one going all "ohhh man I can't find any info from people that run these tires" when you're not even really looking (because the info IS out there, useful info too, and doesn't take long to find).

Show me. I have searched for hours trying to find definite back-to-back testing. Would save me tons of time/effort/money if I knew which tire to run. All I have seen is conjecture and "I went faster on the BFGs this event than last event with hoosiers, oh but I also changed my spring rate". I am looking for back to back with minor changes in the same day, same conditions, same track, same car, same driver. Otherwise the information is absolutely worthless.

Please oh PLEASE let there already be a good comparison out there, would literally save me over $1000.

Please oh PLEASE let there already be a good comparison out there, would literally save me over $1000.

So, you're looking for the guy who already spent the $1000 to compare the BFGs to Hoosiers with no other changes. Maybe you're that guy now...

Mark

So, you're looking for the guy who already spent the $1000 to compare the BFGs to Hoosiers with no other changes. Maybe you're that guy now...

Mark

Damn...

Well just got in the BFGs R1S today, here are a few quick pics compared to a hoosier A6 of the same size (245/40/17) Remember these are unmounted!

598852_10100632718029869_51959924_n.jpg

BFG on left, Hoosier on right.

556789_10100632744322179_424111807_n.jpg

523597_10100632746712389_1234004257_n.jpg

Can you stack 4 A6's next to 4 R1S's (unmounted) and take some pics?

Yeah, sorry this was during my lunch break, Ill also pull out the ruler.

if Eclipsor00 is gonna run these in TTC I think they should get some extra points because hes driving too fast

I wouldnt run these in TT, BFG doesnt offer contingency . The A6 at +13 points is well worth it! The big question is, 225/40/17s are not all that much smaller than the 245s for Hoosiers... And you get 4 points back... I guess the even bigger question is if I will be running in TT for Nationals, I signed up for GTS2 for right now.

Stack height of tires. After putting these all together, ruler measurements were almost worthless, there is very little different in stack height unmounted.

BFG on left, Hoosier on Right.

598430_10100633547926749_1657123218_n.jpg

Stack height of tires. After putting these all together, ruler measurements were almost worthless, there is very little different in stack height unmounted.

Exactly - they don't run big in all sizes, contrary to what people thought when they got branded the +13 crap.

I dunno if it's the same in other regions, but in my region people are a lot more inquisitive about the BFG's this year since Hoosier dialed back the TT contingency. It's very difficult to get 5+ in a single TT class; and nobody that's running for season pts will switch. So the thought process has been; if I'm not winning tires, I might as well try out something different.

That's just the vibe... my .02

The BFGs are cheaper in my sizes, and appear to be the same width as the R6. I have three points to spare, so I'll probably run the R1 in place of the R6 even though it costs more points. Only been one or two events where TTE payed out contingencies for us. Would much rather see the R1 a +10 and the R1s at +13 in the smaller sizes as they don't appear to run larger, and i've not seen any reviews that it is a faster tires. Sounds like it does last longer, but isn't faster.

Exactly - they don't run big in all sizes, contrary to what people thought when they got branded the +13 crap.

I dunno if it's the same in other regions, but in my region people are a lot more inquisitive about the BFG's this year since Hoosier dialed back the TT contingency. It's very difficult to get 5+ in a single TT class; and nobody that's running for season pts will switch. So the thought process has been; if I'm not winning tires, I might as well try out something different.

That's just the vibe... my .02

I've noticed that, too. Only a select amount of the BFG sizes are bigger. The 275/35/18's are definitely larger. I've seen them compared to the Hoosier 275/35/18 unmounted and the BFGs are much larger. I think the 265 is pretty large, too. Some of the smaller sizes are not over-sized though.

Perhaps they should ding the larger sizes just like they did the Hoosier 255/35/18 instead of all R1 sizes.

BFG R1 275/35/18 = 11.0"

Hoosier 275/35/18 = 10.3"

if Eclipsor00 is gonna run these in TTC I think they should get some extra points because hes driving too fast

I wouldnt run these in TT, BFG doesnt offer contingency . The A6 at +13 points is well worth it! The big question is, 225/40/17s are not all that much smaller than the 245s for Hoosiers... And you get 4 points back...

Yea going by the numbers you wouldn't think the 245 is much better my car is pretty happy on the 225's.

I run the 225 on a 9" rim and I would say its starting to look a bit stretched. I remember looking at mine sitting next to a TTB s2000 with the 245 on 9.5" wheels - the 245 looked a good bit wider.

I think the sidewalls on the 245 are stiffer vs the 225 thats from driving on the 245/40/17 R6. My times between scrubs 245/40/17 R6's and scrubbed 225/40/17 A6's are similar but the 245 feels sharper even thought is heavier/wider/bigger.

My feeling is on a heavier car (3000lbs+) the 245 on a 9.5"+ is gonna be the best choice but you could probably make a 225 work not far off at least for 2-3 lap runs.

Okay, so got weights. It is not a verified scale, so do not take the absolute weights, but we verified multiple times using weights that it produces repeatable results. Looks like the BFG and Hoosier are pretty much identical for all intents and purposes in weight despite the BFG being "slightly" larger unmounted.

Hoosier

403566_10100634865795729_1100663466_n.jpg

BFG

600934_10100634865351619_1261727360_n.jpg

Pictures mounted, both on 17x9s verified with ~40psi (just after mounting). There is very little height difference if any at all. BFG on left, Hoosier on right.

521477_10100639057555409_2142201437_n.jpg

534075_10100639067255969_1074163821_n.jpg

So are certain size R1S tires back down to +13?

What this shows is that in the 245/40/17, the argument for BFGs to be higher points than their Hoosier counterparts based on size alone is a misnomer. There is no "significant" size difference.

What remains to be seen is the effective grip of the tire, Friday ill be doing back-to-back testing and analyzing both on feel/times and avg peak lateral grip.

I thought that all the soft/auto-x tires were +13 regardless of relative grip to the other +13s and that the only reason the BFG's got bumped was because of measured size differences. Am I wrong on just one of those assumptions or both?

Anything to report back about these?

Getting all the data together.

Initial Impressions:

Scrub in - The Hoosier A6 on a scrub in lap is fast, its there, and it feels great! Comparatively to the BFGs that felt "sharp" on turn in, but had 80% the grip of the A6.

After completing scrub in on both tires, both sets were covered and stored for 24 hours.

Ill reserve my judgement on running on them until the data is sourced through. Shouldnt be much later this week; but initial impressions were the BFG was faster, and possibly by more than .5 second in my case. They are two totally different driving tires though. Hoosiers love slip angle, the BFGs do not!

• 1 month later...
Anything to report back about these?

Getting all the data together.

Initial Impressions:

Scrub in - The Hoosier A6 on a scrub in lap is fast, its there, and it feels great! Comparatively to the BFGs that felt "sharp" on turn in, but had 80% the grip of the A6.

After completing scrub in on both tires, both sets were covered and stored for 24 hours.

Ill reserve my judgement on running on them until the data is sourced through. Shouldnt be much later this week; but initial impressions were the BFG was faster, and possibly by more than .5 second in my case. They are two totally different driving tires though. Hoosiers love slip angle, the BFGs do not!

Any update on the BFG?