Right-side net requirements

Keith

I was going over my car in anticipation of my annual tech and saw something that I was curious about in the CCR:

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact

All vehicles must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with

a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A

side-impact head-net restraint system, such as shown in picture 15.17.9-2 below, is also

acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quick-release

mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the passenger side. Does

not apply to formula cars or sports racers.

Note- it is recommended that a side net wrap around the seat and function to help stop

the shoulders, head bolster (if applicable), and seat from moving sideways in an impact.

It is best to follow the manufacturer’s suggestions for installation of any safety device.

However, in lieu of suggestions, or in addition to, it is recommend that the lower strap of

the side net run parallel with the fore/aft center line of the car and be low enough to

support the shoulder area as well. Furthermore, it is suggested that the top strap follow

a path through the center of the helmet, when viewed from the side. Reference Diagram

15.17.9-1.

In the past, I seem to remember (maybe my memory is flawed) that the right-side net had an SFI requirement and an SFI date requirement. I don't see this in the above. Has these requirements been modified recently and, while a right-side net is required, there are no SFI or SFI date requirements anymore?

Thanks.

I *think* my Schroth right side net has an SFI rating and date. However, like you mentioned, the CC&R do not specifically state whether that is needed or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I *think* my Schroth right side net has an SFI rating and date. However, like you mentioned, the CC&R do not specifically state whether that is needed or not.

Schroth nets do come with the SFI tag.

date isn't mentioned in the CCRs, thus, it seems to me it won't automatically expire but might not pass once it starts to look ratty and deteriorated...