HDPE car numbers

drano38

New guy here.

I might attend a NASA HPDE this summer, and want to verify car number requirements.

I found the Club Codes and Regulations, and 11.4.15 Car Numbers, says "should exhibit" its car number.

So are car numbers encouraged but not required for HPDE? Or am I lawyering it too much, and in fact I need them?

I'm also running a PCA event in a few weeks, and need numbers, so I want one set to meet all club requirements before I have them made.

If I attend a NASA HPDE, it would be at Motorsport Park Hastings, NE.

Thanks

11.4.15 Car Numbers

The vehicle should exhibit its assigned car number (if any) on both sides of the car. The

numbers must be at least ten (10) inches tall and be of a contrasting color. No numbers

may be placed on the side windows. Numbers on the front or rear of the car are

recommended but not required.

I haven't yet heard of a NASA region/event that doesn't require car numbers. They are how the cornerworkers identify you (because there could be five black Corvettes on track simultaneously and yours is the only one producing smoke in left turns, etc.) Best to check with those in charge of the event you plan to attend...

Your reading too much into it. I started HPDE last spring and LOVE IT!!! I too was concerned about how things worked and read all kinds of stuff. It's not that difficult! You do need numbers so they can identify your car but painters tape, vinyl decals, etc work fine. I bought a sheet of white magnetic material that attaches to your door, the stuff used to print advertising signs on. Only I didn't print anything on it. I cut out 2 sets of 3 numbers and simply attach them to the car in the order of my number. If it's taken one event I can re-arrange the numbers.....that's never happened and so far I've hit 142 mph and they stay attached.

What color is your car?

I've used and have seen lots and lots and lots of 1" blue painters tape used for car numbers.

As long as your car isn't Blue it is readable by the corner workers.

The green frog tape can be used on clors where the blue doesn't stand out.

...or just regular tan colored masking tape on blue cars.

(In case the OP didn't know: masking/painters tape is the preferred method for cheap numbers because it leaves no residue on paint or glass.)

Central region it sounds like.

Yep, you'll need a number on your car of some sort. Legible contrasting color tape works just fine though, cheap & easy. If you want to be fancier, go for it

Before you go buying magnets and numbers, keep in mind your car # can be different from one DE event to the next. It's usually a 1st come 1st served mentality for assigning #s in DE.

If you do buy numbers, just be sure to sign up early for your events to secure the # you have.

I've gotten into HPDE too. Went with tape the first time but decided to buy a vinyl static cling roundel with a number on it. It was pricey (compared to tape) but it is reusable. I got a number that can be turned upside down to make another number i.e. 86/98. If I sign up for an event where these are taken, I'll use tape again. The static cling stuff goes on fairly easily and comes off very easily and no chance of damaging your paint. It will not come off on the track if applied correctly. Plus, for those who care, the roundel looks real nice too.

I wouldn't spend any money on this sort of thing until you've done it at least once and have an idea that you want to keep doing it.

Went with tape the first time but decided to buy a vinyl static cling roundel with a number on it. It was pricey (compared to tape) but it is reusable. I got a number that can be turned upside down to make another number i.e. 86/98.

Do you have a source/link for those?

Went with tape the first time but decided to buy a vinyl static cling roundel with a number on it. It was pricey (compared to tape) but it is reusable. I got a number that can be turned upside down to make another number i.e. 86/98.

Do you have a source/link for those?

http://www.cobracountry.com/opsplus/

The quality is good and prices are lower than most. I got the black trim ring/border but would not do it again as it makes the roundel a little harder to apply.

This PDF explains how to install them:

http://www.xlprints.com/support_files/StaticClingApp.pdf

I just get a bucket with warm water, add a little dish washing liquid. Dunk the sticker in the water and place it on the car. Use a squeegee and/or towels to get all the wrinkles and bubbles out.

To remove, just peel off. Store them on the paper they come on.

I think anyone willing to spend the money on a static cling roundel (like me) mostly just likes the way it looks. I'm in HPDE purely for the fun of it and having my car look like a racecar while I'm out there driving slow and apexing too early is just part of the fun.

Here's a great tip for numbers.

I can not take credit for it, I read it someplace, maybe even here.

Go to Home Depot, or Lowes,

Buy a roll of "Shelf Paper". Its the stuff that your Grandmother used to line the kitchen shelves with.

They make it in all sorts of colors.

I bought a 35 foot roll for about 7 bucks.

Then, go to your computer, choose a font you like, and print the numbers on white paper.

Simply use the printout as a template, and cut out your new numbers.

Shelf paper is made to peal off very easily. I've done this many many times.

Works like a charm, all for about 7 bucks.