Thunder Roadster - HPDE - how can you learn without instruct

Capt Slow

How in the world can anyone learn to drive a thunder roadster without an instructor??? I see folks driving them in HPDE all the time. I'd love to get one myself, but having done only 1 hpde it would seem that I would be setting myself up for a horrific crash. I guess they are for more experienced drivers that don't need general racing instruction, only to learn the characteristics of the car?

This is just my $0.02 - take with heavy grain of salt

Learn to drive your street car in HPDE.

Save some pennies up to go to Skip Barber school or equiv that uses a similar car to the thunder roadster.

Rent one for a track weekend (you should be in HPDE2 or 3 by then)

If you like the car buy one, attend a few HPDEs' with it. There are other organizations that will do lead-follow in HPDE.

Then take your comp school

Have a blast!

Some orgs will do lead follow instruction. Maybe NASA is one of them. If not, you could get training with another org and then "transfer" to HPDE3 or whatever the instructor free class is.

However, I've been driving thunder roadsters a few times, and although it is a very cost effective car, it sure isn't very easy to drive. If you have one, I'd consider putting in an open rear end or spring for a limited slip while you're learning to get it to behave a little more sane. The welded rear end makes for some pretty bizarre handling.

When you say "How to drive one", What exactly are you asking?

How to steer? How to go faster? Shift gears? (they are sequential are they not?)

How to race??

Really, what exactly do you want to know? it is after all, "Just a car"

No disrespect to TR Guys. I totally love them, but never driven one.

I"m sure they take a lot of practice to be competitive.

• Members

I was one of the TR "newbs" out there in the Lightning race at Savannah and I realized that I have a lot to learn about the car. They are a complete blast to drive but you have to be at least HPDE 3 or above to truly drive them as they need to be driven. I would recommend that you use your street car thru HPDE 2 and when you get into HPDE 3 stop by the TR paddock at the track. I am sure they will arrange for you to drive one in one of your HPDE 3 sessions. They have been digging them up from various other racing organizations for a few years now and are always looking for more cars to race against. They know that once you drive one you'll be hooked

-Jim

ThunderChicken coming soon...