Schlepping track tires in/on a 2009 Mustang GT

angrytick

I got hooked on road racing after my first HPDE last year, and I have signed up for a total of 7 track days this year. After blowing through an expensive set of Michelin PS2s (only 3 track days!!), I invested in some dedicated track wheels and tires (Enkei PF01s with Nitto NT01 tires -- woohoo!!).

I can squeeze them into my 2009 Mustang GT, but "squeeze" is the key word here. With the rear seats down (which comes out next week anyway) I can get 3 in the back, and I have to give the 4th one a ride in the passenger seat.

This works, and will get me to the track alone, but I am trying to talk my GF into coming to the HPDE days with me, so I need to figure out a way to free up the passenger seat. Now, on older 'stangs Ford manufactured a luggage rack that goes over the back trunk. I'm looking for a way to tie the 4th wheel to the top of the back trunk, and while I can do this with bungie cords, and some kind of padding to avoid scratching the car out of the trunk.

Has anyone else dealt with this challenge? I didn't meet a single Mustang driver at the 3 HPDE events I've been to who does this. All the guys who were bringing track tires IN their car were BMW or Corvette drivers, IIRC.

I've hunted the web for an S197 luggage rack, but haven't found one yet, and since I've never *SEEN* one, I'm guessing there might not be something ready-made. I can't be the only guy driving his Mustang to the track with dedicated track tires....

P.S. Please don't tell me I need to buy a trailer and a pick up truck, 'cause I'm stupid enough to go out and blow the money, and I have NOWHERE to park it at home

Some people put a hitch on their car and tow a little utility trailer with their wheels in it. I can't afford to do enough track weekends to worry about it yet.

Some people put a hitch on their car and tow a little utility trailer with their wheels in it. I can't afford to do enough track weekends to worry about it yet.

This. Harbor Freight has a simple tow-behind for cheap. Add hitch = done.

I'd argue that after only one year of HPDE - you are not ready for r-comps or semi r-comps from a driver education standpoint. R-comps hide a lot of mistakes and let you get away with more than you really can (false security).

I'd get a set of 200 treadwear Extreme Performance Summer tires (Z1*, RS3, AD08) that can be driven to the track for the day and home. Then swap back to your daily driver set of wheels/tires.

I do this for my STX autocross Mustang.

I started HPDE last summer and agree with the advice about tires. I've asked alot of people and 100% of them tell me to stay on "summer tires" and learn. I've done 5 events and have been using my daily driver Vredesteins knowing they won't last as long as the last set (no road racing on those). I do want to get another set of wheels so I can continue to run these tires down below the tread level I'd be comfortable on the street though.

I second the little trailer. Last month on the way to the track I saw a miata towing a little trailer with 4 wheels/tires and a tool box. I assume he had jacks, tools, etc in there.

That harbor freight trailer looks absolutely perfect!! Guess I'll have to get a hitch, but obviously that's no big deal.

Thanks for the pix!! That really does look like the perfect solution for me.

That harbor freight trailer looks absolutely perfect!! Guess I'll have to get a hitch, but obviously that's no big deal.

Thanks for the pix!! That really does look like the perfect solution for me.

etrailer is probably your best bet for a hitch. Used them for a hitch for my 2000 mustang (RIP)

• 1 month later...