Engine Swap Question

ninetyfourintegra

I will apologize for the ignorance of the question but I am only just learning about Miatas.

Will a complete engine (and/or Engine and transmission) from a 1992 Miata bolt into a 1999 tub? Engine has a Supercharger and megasquirt, so I'm assuming all electronics will/can be accounted for, will it bolt in or is there a conversion kit/mount required?

My thinking is that it will, as I see comments about swaps going the other way but see that FlyinMiata has some conversion kits (http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=67).

Let me know,

Thanks

Ron

• Members

The 1992 Miata had a 1.6L motor. The 1999 had a 1.8L engine. While the motor will technically fit (will bolt up to the transmission and will fit under the hood), you will have other issues, including wiring.

Wouldn't recommend attempting this.

Also, you posted this in Spec Miata. That swap would not be legal in that class.

Understood on legality, the car would actually be destined for PT. I figured I would post in SM forum due to knowledge of Miatas of the people looking at this forum.

Thanks.

Not sure why you'd go down to a 1.6 liter from a 1.8 liter '99 engine that has valve timing enhancement. You'll lose a lot of power in n/a form. You can add superchargers to the 1.8 liter motors as well. Plus the 1.6 is obd 0 and you'd have to convert it to obd 2.