vented bodywork question

stevevetter

I'm reading up for an anticipated H1 build for 2013 and have a question about bodywork. The rules appear to only allow holes in bodywork for brake ducts, driver fresh air and pressure relief in rest bumper cover. Buy what about the very common vented hood? Louver vents in the trunk (long story, don't ask )?

Just hoping to minimize replacements.

Steve

AP1

Okay, just to keep me from asking annoying questions in the future....

The way I read the rules hood vents are not okay. So am I reading them incorrectly, or is this just an allowance that has been disseminated through informal means such as this board?

So just to clarify -- I can run an aftermarket hood of any origin but i CANNOT stamp louvers or otherwise vent an OEM hood skin?

I'm glad this thread popped up because I was just about to send my gutted OEM hood out to be louvered.

Okay, so JeremyC's responses caused me to reread the rulebook looking for the basis for those responses. Thank you JeremyC.

I did see the entry below more clearly, though I guess I would expect (for an S2000 in H1) that venting a stock hood would be considered 'removal of material' per 9.4c below. I have my answer, however I'm trying to make sure I understand the rulebook philosophy.

9.4 Chassis and Body Preparation- H1 Only

a) Batteries are unrestricted in size, type and weight and may be relocated. Batteries located inside

passenger compartment must be mounted in accordance with the CCR.

b) Headlights and any associated attaching hardware may be replaced, substituted with any material, or

removed. Location may be used to pickup air for brake cooling, engine cooling, or air intake only.

c) Hood, trunk, rear hatchback, bumper supports, and the front bumper cover may have material removed

or replaced with a substitute of unrestricted material. (Composite materials are allowed for those items.)

d) Front fenders may be replaced with a substitute of unrestricted material but must retain the style (no air

relief's) and dimensions of the OEM fender (flares are not permitted).

• National Staff
So just to clarify -- I can run an aftermarket hood of any origin but i CANNOT stamp louvers or otherwise vent an OEM hood skin?

I'm glad this thread popped up because I was just about to send my gutted OEM hood out to be louvered.

Here's the answer for H2. Sorry if my answer was confusing.

10.2 H2 Limited Preparation Vehicles Only

h) Non OEM hoods of unrestricted material are permitted. OEM hood, OEM Trunk and OEM rear

hatchback may have material removed for the purpose of weight removal but must remain in place unless otherwise specified in these rules. Outer-skin of trunk/hatchback must not be altered. OEM hood “venting” is permitted.

• National Staff
Okay, so JeremyC's responses caused me to reread the rulebook looking for the basis for those responses. Thank you JeremyC.

I did see the entry below more clearly, though I guess I would expect (for an S2000 in H1) that venting a stock hood would be considered 'removal of material' per 9.4c below. I have my answer, however I'm trying to make sure I understand the rulebook philosophy.

9.4 Chassis and Body Preparation- H1 Only

a) Batteries are unrestricted in size, type and weight and may be relocated. Batteries located inside

passenger compartment must be mounted in accordance with the CCR.

b) Headlights and any associated attaching hardware may be replaced, substituted with any material, or

removed. Location may be used to pickup air for brake cooling, engine cooling, or air intake only.

c) Hood, trunk, rear hatchback, bumper supports, and the front bumper cover may have material removed

or replaced with a substitute of unrestricted material. (Composite materials are allowed for those items.)

d) Front fenders may be replaced with a substitute of unrestricted material but must retain the style (no air

relief's) and dimensions of the OEM fender (flares are not permitted).

Yes, you can remove material from the hood, so vent it how you'd like. Same goes for the aftermarket hoods.