nooby checking in

Fr3AkAzOiD

Just wanted to say hi.

I'll be lurking around sucking up as much info as possible from the forums.

Just got the wife a new car and they wouldn't offer me squat for her old one as a trade in so I'm keeping it and I figured I'd try it in a HPDE. It's an '05 Chevy Malibu V6 auto. :\

As it's my first time out I'm not looking to put up much money. Figured instead of buying a helmet I can rent one for $75 from racesuitrental.com. Has anyone had any experience with them or can offer any alternatives?

I'm going to flush the radiator and change my brake fluid and make sure I get the car inspected before hand but should have enough in the pads for a single day out.

I've been doing indoor kart racing for a number of years but I doubt much other then finding racing lines and knowing when to pass will translate over to a HPDE.

It's hard for me to get weekends off work but there is a weekday HPDE in August at VIR.

Been running VIR with a Jetta TDI on iRacing to get a hang of the layout. Though I'm not sure if that will help or hurt me once I get to the actual track.

I have a feeling I'm going to get hooked on HPDE days though.

• 4 weeks later...

I need some opinions on what to do.

First time HPDE (end of August), should I do one day knowing I'll kill my brakes and rotors. They are fine for a single day but two days and I may end up replacing them in the hotel parking lot prior to driving home.

Then if I get hooked just go into my second HPDE event (which may not be till next season) with fresh upgraded brake rotors and pads.

OR

Pay a bit extra so I can go into the first event with better brakes and then pay the bit extra for two days vs one on the track.

It's very much a pay me now or pay me later, either way you are going to pay scenario.

I just hear how people are saying they are wiped after their first weekend HPDE and figured it may be worth just doing it as a one day thing.

Also any opinions on racesuitrental.com, was thinking of renting a helmet from them?

• 3 months later...

More experienced NASA folk, please correct me if I'm wrong, but a Snell M2005 helmet should be acceptable. I've seen several at pawn shops for 50-75 bucks. If you're looking at going uber cheap protecting your melon, why rent?

• 2 weeks later...
More experienced NASA folk, please correct me if I'm wrong, but a Snell M2005 helmet should be acceptable. I've seen several at pawn shops for 50-75 bucks. If you're looking at going uber cheap protecting your melon, why rent?

For helmets I think you have to check with track rules too. I bought a Snell M2005 helmet to do HPDE's at Watkins Glen since I thought that was OK by NASA rules, and the first time I showed up with it they said they don't like the M helmets, I managed to get two uses out of it before I had to upgrade to SA instead. Not sure what VIR rules are but its probably good to check with them before you buy.

• 3 weeks later...

A Snell helmet rating is good for 10 years. You can use a Snell SA2005 until 2015, and a Snell SA2010 until 2020. When you get to 2015, I am not sure if it expires 1/1/15 or 12/31/15 though. Snell recommends replacing a helmet after 5 years, but I assume that will depend on how much you use it. I only use mine 3 or 4 weekends a year and I doubt the materials degrade that fast sitting in the closet the rest of the time. I use a head sock to help keep my helmet from getting nasty, which I am sure is also preserving the linings.

For helmets I think you have to check with track rules too. I bought a Snell M2005 helmet to do HPDE's at Watkins Glen since I thought that was OK by NASA rules, and the first time I showed up with it they said they don't like the M helmets, I managed to get two uses out of it before I had to upgrade to SA instead. Not sure what VIR rules are but its probably good to check with them before you buy.

You are better off buying an SA helmet from the get-go. The SA helmet will be accepted anywhere; M helmets are not always accepted.

You are better off buying an SA helmet from the get-go. The SA helmet will be accepted anywhere; M helmets are not always accepted.

Go ahead and bite the bullet and get a sa2010. It's a little more, yea, but then you're done and can concentrate your budget on other things that you will constantly need while progressing; pads, rubber, fluids, cooling, other safety, etc. This hobby requires enough spending w/ out having to go back and "re-buy". Do it right the first time and don't think about it again. You will be much happier in the long run. It's tough but this is the philosophy that those that have been through it seem to always echo. I'm only DE1/2, depending on track/car, so I don't intend this to sound like its coming from an "expert". Just trying to give back as others have done for me. Hope it helps!

These seem to be popular and is what I bought (no affiliation with site).

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1349285040.298&product=helmets_bell&pid=1072

I'm sorry to thread-jack but I thought it was a better option than starting a new thread with a very similar topic.

I'm looking to sign up for HPDE-1 in a few weeks at the Thunderbolt raceway in NJ. The car that I'm planning on bringing is my current daily driver, a 1999 Acura 2.3CL manual transmission with 180k miles. The car will be retired around the time of the event, so I'm not overly concerned about it surviving the beating.

• My understanding is that I cannot bring my 2002 BMW 325cic manual transmission because it is a convertible without a roll cage. Is that correct? If not, should I just bring my beater anyways since I'll be learning and might hurt the car?

Should I do the one or two day package? I've never taken any type of lesson but I am anxious to learn. It's the weekend after my birthday so I'm sure that I can get my wife to accept me leaving her with a 1-year old overnight.

Can I rent a helmet from NASA or at the track? While I'm sure that I'll enjoy HPDE-1 and want to continue, I'm not sure that I'll have a car of my own to bring on the track.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm signed up and my plan is to bring my beater Acura. I've been told that I can rent helmets at registration. I decided to do just one day but I'll bring enough cloths in case I get hooked and there is room on second day.

Probably fine to rent a helmet for your first time around. I was able to borrow one my first time. I was also hooked after the first time so I went ahead and bought the basic Bell Sport (from Discovery Parts who are great to deal with):

http://www.discoveryparts.com/

I think taking the Acura is the way to go. In fact, since it is up for retirement it seems to me it would be a great starter dedicated track day car!

I'm still fairly new at this too (6 events) but I would strongly recommend getting your brake system flushed and filled with high temp brake fluid. ATE Super Blue is fairly inexpensive and can be purchased on line easily. I would also recommend something other than OEM brake pads. This can get pricey but still worth it in my opinion. (EBC Yellowstuff pads are a decent 'track' pad that can be used on the street. They don't have the grip of true track pads but they stand up to the heat pretty well and are relatively affordable.) Ask around about true track pads. If you can't afford track pads, make sure your OEM pads have plenty of life in them.

If you can't do pads and fluid it is not the end of the world but you may have to keep things a little slower if your pads and/or fluid are getting too hot.

You can save a lot if you can do the pads yourself. You may already know how, but it can look daunting at first when in fact it is really very easy and a skill you will need if you plan on doing this more. I can change mine with only a 14mm wrench and a c-clamp. I suspect it would be similar on your Acura.

Finally I found a intro thread. I was just unable to find any intro thread on the forum. Anyhow

Hello guys

kelvin is here from ON, Toronto. Its my first time to using this forum. So I suggest that first I should Introduce my self. My age is 22 year and I am a student + Employee. My Interests are Playing Video games, spending time with my friends and driving madly. My favorite car is Ferrari Spider. Currently I am driving Honda Civic 2006.My purpose of joining this forum is to expend my knowledge about cars. I hope it will be a good time with you guys.