Wheel/Tire Questions

JDCathers

Will BFG have a supplier on site for events/anybody have an idea of how much the spec R1's are going to run per tire? I know the R1's are pretty well reputed for good wear, but I'll be curious to see if a set will be competitive for more than one weekend (assuming they wont be, but..). Anybody know how quickly these tires heat-cycle out?

Wish they had a 17" option, would help the budget.

A portion of an email from Jackson Motorsports..

If you haven’t yet purchased your tires, we can help with that too. Jackson Motorsports Group in partnership with BFGoodrich has a racer program that allows us to offer these tires at a discount to racers. Our price for the tires you’ll be running (MSPN 74887 – 275/35-18 – BFG R1) is $285.00 each plus tax and our shipping cost is only $10 per tire. We also offer Michelin and BFGoodrich race and Ultra High Performance tires at discounts to our racers. If you have any additional questions about pricing or availability, you can call us at 800-RACE-BFG.

Also talk with Phils Tire Service, a great track side tire and support supplier for NASA

If you are in the Northeast Or Mid Atlantic we are the BFG track support. We ship nationally also. Heat cycle too. Wheel and tire packages.......and so on.....

If you are in the Northeast Or Mid Atlantic we are the BFG track support. We ship nationally also. Heat cycle too. Wheel and tire packages.......and so on.....

we have got a few sets of tires from Phils in the past. great shop to deal with and great customer service, and they do some very nice shave work

Just curious to ask why the Enkei wheels are allowed and not any others that are the same weight? Is there a contingency from Enkei? If not it doesnt make sense to allow this wheel and not others the same weight. Thanks.

It is a spec series!

Just curious to ask why the Enkei wheels are allowed and not any others that are the same weight? Is there a contingency from Enkei? If not it doesnt make sense to allow this wheel and not others the same weight. Thanks.

Good answer for most questions

It is a spec series!

• 4 weeks later...

No...any wheel that meets the standard weight minimums and sizes maximums are legal

just one type of Enkie wheel gets a waiver on weights....the RPF1

Wheels

a) Any eighteen (18.00) inch diameter rim, with a maximum width of nine (9.00) inches front, and a

maximum width of ten (10.00) inches rear may be used.

b) No wheel permitted for competition use can weigh less than eighteen point five (18.50) pounds

with the exception of the Enkei RPF1 being specifically permitted for competition use.

c) Wheels must be one piece. (i.e. No multi piece bolted, riveted, or welded wheels.)

d) Aftermarket wheel studs, lug nuts, and wheel spacers are permitted.

we have got a few sets of tires from Phils in the past. great shop to deal with and great customer service, and they do some very nice shave work

Thanks - it's what we do...

I just got a quote from Phil for R1s on a set of RPF1s... good price - very responsive - thanks!

One question for those who are already running RPF1s - what size spacers are you using and is it just for clearing the brembo calipers?

My current 20" street rims (not SpecZ legal) clear the front brembos (barely) with 15mm spacers... not sure what the enkei's work best with.

And (since I'm asking) I am guessing you've rolled the fenders?

Thanks in advance!

I just got a quote from Phil for R1s on a set of RPF1s... good price - very responsive - thanks!

One question for those who are already running RPF1s - what size spacers are you using and is it just for clearing the brembo calipers?

My current 20" street rims (not SpecZ legal) clear the front brembos (barely) with 15mm spacers... not sure what the enkei's work best with.

Thanks in advance!

20mm......

Thanks in advance!

Yes, just to clear the Brembos. I run 20s all around, but less can be run in the rear for sure if desired. I think less may be run in the front as well, I'll have to look back at my notes. You got the 9/10 combo in +35 and +38?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, just to clear the Brembos. I run 20s all around, but less can be run in the rear for sure if desired. I think less may be run in the front as well, I'll have to look back at my notes. You got the 9/10 combo in +35 and +38?

Actually I am planning on 9's all 'round to run square... wish we could run 10's all round but hey... its a Spec series so guess it doesn't really matter too much.

Thanks!

Actually I am planning on 9's all 'round to run square... wish we could run 10's all round but hey... its a Spec series so guess it doesn't really matter too much.

Thanks!

A square setup isn't optimal for Spec Z. Running the 10" max on the rear rims will have an effect. It changes the shape of the contact patch of the 275/35-18 R1s and will offer an advantage in the Z's handling.

• 3 months later...

Just mounted my RPF1's up front (18x9 et35) with a 20mm spacer and noticed they have a very aggressive fit. They clear the Brembo's but it looks like I'm going to have issues rubbing the fenders with any compression of the front springs. Anyone else having this problem? More negative camber would help but with the stock settings I can't seem to get more than -1.5.

Note: One issue i had was that after I pulled them out, they would go back to the original position. I may need to add some support where the front bumper cover meets the fender to keep them pushed out / flared....

RPF1 18x9 ET 35...with a 20 MM spacer

But my car has been raced for ~ 5 years in PTB...so it isn't Exactly "square" anymore...and I was runnin 17x10 ET 25 5Zigens and a 5MM spacer w/Hoho 275-40-17...didn't have a clearance issues then...

• 4 months later...

A square setup isn't optimal for Spec Z. Running the 10" max on the rear rims will have an effect. It changes the shape of the contact patch of the 275/35-18 R1s and will offer an advantage in the Z's handling.

What's the advantage for the larger rear contact patch? It seems most of us are battling excessive understeer ? . ?

What's the advantage for the larger rear contact patch? It seems most of us are battling excessive understeer ? . ?

Make sure you are running enough air in the rear tires