GTS Weekend Update: Mid-Atlantic @ Summit Point

Eric W.

• Members

This weekend was an interesting one. The weather ended up being totally dry despite the repeated forecasts that said it would be raining. There was no need to wait around on jackstands wondering which tires to run. Much to the delight of some, there were a few odd cases hoping for the wet stuff. They shall remain un-named.

GTS1:

This weekend's field consisted solely of Porsche 944s. On Saturday, after a slose qualifying between Joe Boschulte and David Gibson, Joe would end up winning the race as David pulled in early. Jack Higginbotham would end up taking second in the Team PRS guitars 944 followed by Bill Repass in third. Sunday, with Gibson close behind, Boschulte didnt let up and took the win again with Gibson and Repass rounding out the top podium spots.

GTS2:

Again, the GTS2 field was super competitive this weekend. DJ Fitzpatrick was wrenching on his car with help from multiple sources and somehow managed to get his car on grid before the race. He would have to start from the back. Jesse Clark had the pole and despite an early charge from Jeff Emanuelson, took the lead and never looked back. He snagged the GTS2 track record too with a 1:22.482. The fight for the last podium spots were intense. Ron Hougham battled early with Donnie Weymer and got around. As DJ was making his way through from the back of the pack, he would have to battle Jim Khoury as well. Unfortunately, Khoury suffered a mechanical with a steering issue. DJ would eventually make his way up to third. Emanuelson was able to make his MCoupe extra wide and preserved the 2nd place finish.

On Sunday, Clark turned the reigns over to Eric Wong. He qualified third behind Hougham and Fitzpatrick. The finishing order remained the same despite constant pressure on Hougham. Wong was bumper to bumper with Hougham most of the race but could not get a pass attempt to stick. Fitzpatrick would check out due to the ongoing Wong/Hougham battle and also take the track record that Clark had just set the day before with a 1:21.596. Amazingly fast times and with everyone's mechanicals being fixed, Hyperfest should be a good rematch for all.

GTS3/GTS4:

After qualifying on the pole with track record pace, Eric Wong easily cruised ahead in Saturday's race. The main battle would be behind with Greg Shaffer driving a VW R32. Scott Bresnahan in his 996 would battle Shaffer for almost the entire race. Shaffer would eventually get by. Due to a spinning car on the last lap of the last corner, Wong had to take evasive action allowing Shaffer to take advantage for the win. Wong did, however, set a new GTS3 track record at 1:19.396. Omar Lopez took the win in GTS4 in his Porsche.

Sunday's race was exciting as Wong and Bresnahan mixed it up in the early part of the race. With some side by side racing, Wong would eventually come through and take the lead. Bresnahan stayed close, but with traffic getting mixed inbetween and a red flag incident freezing all the positions, Wong would take the win. Bresnahan maintained 2nd and Nathan Beck in his VW R32 would take the final podium spot. Omar Lopez again won GTS4 cruising to victory nursing some corded tires!

This weekend was a blast. The next race scheduled is Hyperfest. With big fields and big competition, GTS will be the place to be for tight, close, competitive and fun racing. Don't delay, register now as the event usually and WILL will up.

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=1342

I will admit, I am the odd case.

You forgot to mention I put a nice hole in my block, and got a nice view of the passes under breaking into turn 1. I learned about everyone's braking and turn in also.

As always, was great to see everyone.

Nice write-up Eric... Sorry I missed the fun. I did the lightning race with the NE crew the week prior and wifey doesn't let me race more than once a month. I'll try to make it down to mix it up with guys at Hyperfest.