18x9.5 vs 18x10

almost heaven

Similar but different to recent question on track wheels for corvette... I searched and didn't find anything on this topic... Assuming all things equal (i.e., discount weight and cost), is an 18x9.5 or 18x10 wheel going to be better on the track? Is bigger always better? I think there's a limit to that... My Mustang has a fairly modified suspension and about 3 degs of camber from the strut mounts; I can get more with camber bolts. But only 300 rwhp and 320 ft-lb, so power is ok but not tremendous. Planning on the PF01's so big brake clearance not an issue. I'm also going to autocross with them, so I'm leaning toward the 18x10 unless there is a big drop in handling in high speed handling on the track. Thanks.

The tire size is what is relevant to the discussion. If both those wheel sizes fit the desired tire properly, run the smaller one for less weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, so as far as the better tire size, is a 295 better than a 275?

Dunno if this ever got answered so I'll throw in my 0.02...

The question isn't so much "which is better" but "what two work better together?" A 9.5 will work with the 275 but you'll get better contact with a 10" wheel. More grip is more grip, but potentially at the cost of weight, which seems to be your concern. Though, with a car like a Mustang, I'd lean towards more contact patch. Hard to say either is "better" because 275s are more common and easier to get ahold of, and usually for cheaper. If you plan on competing, cross-check the max tire size rules first. You may end up sitting at 285.

If you wanna go fat, 18x 10's will fit a 305 (at least in Perelli slick sizes) and work under stock bodywork if you have the offset right and possibly a spacer. (reference the BBS-sourced BOSS 302S wheel)