E36 reinforcements, similiar to the E46 subframe issue

99MPower

When I read F, I take it to mean that you do have to take additional points (on top of the +3 for reinforcements) for adding the 4 point subframe/tie-bar/cross brace. Am I understanding this correctly or do the +3 cover the cross brace on the e36?

I'm not sure what you are reading that gives you that impression. The +3 points that you are taking should also cover the "X" brace. None of the four other rules that I listed above apply.

Thanks for the clarification Greg. After re-reading I'm not sure why I was confused either, but glad to be sure. Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

For clarification, on the e36, if the front subframe had cracked and was repaired with a plate welded underneath the cracked area where the motor mounts sit (this is not a reinforcement kit from Turner, etc just a piece of metal replacing the stock location which broke off) does this repair require points be assessed?

Yes, that's points.

To be points free I'd look for an unrepaired stock version that's in good shape and swap it in.

• 1 month later...

So I'm sitting here staring the rear-end I just dropped. Now I have to decide if I should make this *permanent* change that'll more than likely bump me (and any future owner) out of my base class. I'm new to TT...actually aren't even there yet, but the spirit seems to be that points are assessed for items that are essentially bolt-on's. I'll have to re-read, but every example I saw in the formal response was something that could be reverted one way or another. This allows for a bit of tinkering amongst classes, which I think is the point in the first place. It's also evident that some of the rules/exceptions address specific cars, though the make/model isn't called out directly. That itsself weakens the 'pick the frog' argument. That's my high level take at least.

The other issue I see is the prevalence of cars. It's pretty obvious by looking at the rosters what models are prevalent. Yes, there may be a slippery slope. However, if there is say a spec class for a car, I think all involved would think it's fair for car specific exceptions to be made. Not being fair to some for sake of being unfair to all is IMHO not an overall positive approach. My personal approach would be to make reasonable exceptions where appropriate and if things get out of hand then and only then pull the plug. Some things may be judgement calls and unpopular (baggage of leadership), but with a well informed reason I'm sure it would be respected. Just not, if I do this all hell will break loose, etc.

That said, there is also something to be said for maximizing the points you take. However, for something like this what are the options? Can someone provide some examples other than the x-brace of what I might consider doing using these points to actually increase my times? I'm seriously looking for guidance here because at this point I see no other option but to take the points. If I didn't and something bad were to happen, an 'in hindsight' excuse doesn't fly.

Look at the top cars in your class and build your car the same way. If none of them have chassis stiffening then having it won't make you competitive. If none of them have the same make and model as you, do thorough research on your own chassis to see if it was ever (or will ever be) competitive. Most of the best builds are optimized for tires first, shocks/springs second and a dash of whatever is left third.