Looking to start

FootofLead

Hello all, been lurking around the board and am looking to get my start in racing. I've been to several events down in Texas at TWS to watch older brother race while I was still in college, but have always kinda that bug itching to get out there.

I'm highly interested in spec 944 and guess I'm looking for some advice on what to look out for. What I think I'd like to do is find a built to spec or very close spec 944 with 2 seats or the option to add a seat to complete HPDE and get licensed to race.

Anybody got some good ideas on cars that are available to buy without breaking the bank completely? This is going to be super budget racing which is kinda why I'm interested in the 944's. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

If you sent me a PM please send me an email or pm me your email. Due to being a new member and still on restrictions i cannot reply to your pm yet

Thanks,

Kevin

Welcome to the addiction.

There are some cars for sale on the forum at 944spec.org. You might get a faster response there than here both in general, but also in the Texas specific forum there. If not you can get in contact with Al the regional director or Eric the Series director easily through that site.

Awesome to hear from another potential 944 racer. I was in the same boat about 6 months ago and just decided to jump in. I can say that the 944 is a great car to start in. Its very predictable and easy to drive hard without it biting you. I'll also advise that while building a car is fun, its time consuming and not very cost effective. There are more than a few adequate starter cars for sale on the spec944.org website that will get you at least mid pack in most regions. The wonderful thing about this car is that there is no ringer setup. There are some nice things to have and look for in a chassis/drive train, but there are no must haves. My advice would be to determine a budget for buying a car and start shopping. I bought my car ready to race, did competition school, 2 race week ends, and 1 DE week end without doing any major maintenance aside from the usual preventative maintenance. My car was built as a race car in 1998 so its been through all its growing pains as a race car and then some. When you build a car, that's something your going to have to deal with when going from parts that have been used to street driving for 20+ years.

So are you still in Texas?

Yes, my job landed me an hour north of Houston.

I need to post this topic on 944spec forum, but even though ive been monitering that board I've havin trouble finding cars semi close by

There are some nice things to have and look for in a chassis/drive train, but there are no must haves.

Please enlighten me as to some of these "nice things too have" if you don't mind. I have a car that I'm currently looking at and am strongly considering pulling the trigger very soon.

Yes, I'm still located in Texas.

• 2 weeks later...