Hello RS1 contingency!!!

Red Tornado

Better use up your RA1's from 2012. I see another fiasco. From the toyo website...

Sep 6, 2012

8:00am

New Proxes RR DOT Competition Tire Provides Ultimate Dry Traction

CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA -- Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. has released the new Toyo Proxes RR, a DOT competition tire designed for dry tracks. Its symmetric design uses two circumferential grooves molded to a 4/32nd tread depth with additional wear inspection holes on the void areas. This race-ready design eliminates the need for tire shaving and provides ultimate traction with superior cornering force.

The racing tread compound of the Proxes RR delivers maximum dry performance and improved lap times for the serious racers competing in NASA or SCCA competition. It is also great for track days and Time Attack competition. With the advanced compound and rayon carcass of the Proxes RR drivers can expect predictable handling and consistent lap times throughout its life.

The reinforced sidewall of the Proxes RR delivers excellent steering response. A sidewall marking area is also a part of the design, allowing racers to easily label their tires.

“The new Toyo Proxes RR is the perfect tire for road racers that are serious about winning,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “It also complements our already popular portfolio of race-proven tires including the new Proxes RS1 and legendary Proxes RA1.”

The new Proxes RR has a 40 C A treadwear rating and is available in three popular competition sizes: 205/50ZR15, 225/50ZR15 and P275/35ZR18 87LL. It is recommended for competition events only. To learn more about the new Proxes RR and the full line of Proxes competition tires, log onto http://www.toyotires.com.

Fiasco.....lol.

Just an answer to what everyone has been asking for........

Better use up your RA1's from 2012. I see another fiasco. From the toyo website...

Sep 6, 2012

CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA -- Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. has released the new Toyo Proxes RR, a DOT competition tire designed for dry tracks. Its symmetric design uses two circumferential grooves molded to a 4/32nd tread depth with additional wear inspection holes on the void areas. This race-ready design eliminates the need for tire shaving and provides ultimate traction with superior cornering force.

The racing tread compound of the Proxes RR delivers maximum dry performance and improved lap times for the serious racers competing in NASA or SCCA competition. It is also great for track days and Time Attack competition. With the advanced compound and rayon carcass of the Proxes RR drivers can expect predictable handling and consistent lap times throughout its life.

The reinforced sidewall of the Proxes RR delivers excellent steering response. A sidewall marking area is also a part of the design, allowing racers to easily label their tires.

“The new Toyo Proxes RR is the perfect tire for road racers that are serious about winning,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “It also complements our already popular portfolio of race-proven tires including the new Proxes RS1 and legendary Proxes RA1.”

The new Proxes RR has a 40 C A treadwear rating and is available in three popular competition sizes: 205/50ZR15, 225/50ZR15 and P275/35ZR18 87LL. It is recommended for competition events only. To learn more about the new Proxes RR and the full line of Proxes competition tires, log onto http://www.toyotires.com.

Fiasco.....lol.

I was gonna use "disaster" but thought is a little cold. Fitting but cold.

And what do you suppose we'll do for rains? Hmm? Maybe we can pay to groove the new ones.

i expect that the ra1 will remain available in full tread for rains. toyo spends a lot of money with nasa and the spec tire program is what they are buying. as such, they get to use the tire model they want to as spec tire.

i dont know this to be true, but i would suggest that toyos market research and market sales figures are showing that they are getting killed by hoosier, bfg, goodyear, hankook, pirelli and others who bring a ready to track/race tire to the market. for a lot of people getting a tire shaved complicates their tire program enough that they choose to buy someone other than toyo.

And what do you suppose we'll do for rains? Hmm? Maybe we can pay to groove the new ones.

if you read your own link that you posted you'd have noted that the other classes are using full tread RA1s for rains

I've spotted in just about every review of the tire test that was conducted for these that the Toyo engineers are saying they're doing everything in their power to avoid a repeat of (and these are THEIR WORDS) "R888 Disaster/Debacle/etc".

Time will tell if they can manage the transition better this time around or not, but the admission of the mistake in the past is a good first step towards not repeating it.

Sep 6, 2012

Fiasco.....lol.

Rains are the full tread RA-1. And if you really think about it, a used set of full tread ( a little bit of wear ) could be intermediates. This could be the best of both worlds instead of the end of life as you know of it....

Yeah Ken, I read it fully, My guess is the RA1 will go away again. Just a hunch. I just don't have much faith in toyo/nasa combination anymore. BTW this is mostly just smartass sarcasm. And I also know SDNWOTN. Just been a little dull around here lately.