Comparison Toyo RS1 versus A6/R6 and R80/R100

philstireservice

285/650R18 Toyo RS1 (new radial slick) $367.20

285/645R18 Hoosier R80/R100 $451.00

275/35R18 Hoosier A6/R6 $334

Toyo RS1 right out of the box faster than an A6. More consistent over a longer period of time. When they fall off the fall of to the likes of a R6. As fast as a Hoosier R80 and last longer for almost $100 less per tire. Good contingency also.

hmmmmmmm.......

Toyo RS1 right out of the box faster than an A6. More consistent over a longer period of time. When they fall off the fall of to the likes of a R6. As fast as a Hoosier R80 and last longer for almost $100 less per tire. Good contingency also.

hmmmmmmm.......

Data please. Car, setup, track, temps. All the normal stuff please. Can't just make blanket statements like this without some.

hmmmmmmm.......

Data please. Car, setup, track, temps. All the normal stuff please. Can't just make blanket statements like this without some.

This is a general setup. Data here is from a newer Mustang and E46 BMW chassis. Road Atlanta, CMP and VIR. These are race setups. Tire pressure hot is 30-32 range.

It's not a DOT tire, so the comparision to the A6/R6 doesn't really apply to most that run those. Especially in GTS where running a DOT vs Non DOT makes a big difference in weight and possible classing.

-Scott B.

That is very general. I ran A6s and R80/100 setup on my GT3 and there was barely a 1 second difference at CMP - I'm guessing less at VIR and RA since they are both more forgiving than CMP.

Any lap times to support this? Was the setup changed to accommodate slick vs DOT?

That is very general. I ran A6s and R80/100 setup on my GT3 and there was barely a 1 second difference at CMP - I'm guessing less at VIR and RA since they are both more forgiving than CMP.

Any lap times to support this? Was the setup changed to accommodate slick vs DOT?

yep...at CMP the Mustang did 1:39 on Pirelli's, 1:41 on R80's and A6's and 1:40 on the Toyo RS1. Corded the R80's and A6's within 4 sessions....Toyo's still had lot's of rubber - barely worn.

It's not a DOT tire, so the comparision to the A6/R6 doesn't really apply to most that run those. Especially in GTS where running a DOT vs Non DOT makes a big difference in weight and possible classing.

-Scott B.

I'm fully aware of the weight penalty/classing change with slicks, but if someone could work the system ( which many figure out how), a slick that lasts longer than an A6 and is faster than a Hoosier R80 could be the ticket....

sheeeesh guys, what a tough crowd.

sheeeesh guys, what a tough crowd.

LOL...no kidding!

I think it's really interesting the different tires that are starting to show up.

While going to slicks would require a weight penalty for some people (like Mr. Berkowitz) whose cars are already down to the DOT tire minimum weights, we have quite a few others who can't get their cars that light for one reason or another and the option to weigh a little more and use a slightly faster tire has made for some really good racing this year.

Thanks for sharing the data you have...it's certainly better than anybody else has at this point and you can bet there are plenty of drivers reading this and considering their options.

Didn't know that asking questions about a new tire with much less long term data(from users, not the company) than the others mentioned was a bad thing. Done any 45 minute tests back to back to actually simulate race conditions ? Just asking, not trying to start any arguments

Oh and Mr. Good, I would not consider my car light.....

-Scott B.

Prices for RS1 in 245/40-17 please.

There is no 245/40R17 RS1....the RS1 is full race slick not a DOT tire. Look for the RR in the future which will be the DOT tire.

Edited by Guest

Look for the RR1 in the future which will be the DOT tire.

Off-topic question: Is this going to be an RA1 replacement or something between the RA1 and RS1?

There is no 245/40R17 RS1....the RS1 is full race slick not a DOT tire. Look for the RR1 in the future which will be the DOT tire.

It's the pirate tire! The ARRR-ARRR-One .

There is no 245/40R17 RS1....the RS1 is full race slick not a DOT tire. Look for the RR1 in the future which will be the DOT tire.

It's the pirate tire! The ARRR-ARRR-One .

lol - cute Eric

Off-topic question: Is this going to be an RA1 replacement or something between the RA1 and RS1?

The RA-1 will be the rain tire. The RR could be the replacement for some classes in 2013.

Edited by Guest

The RA-1 will be the rain tire. The RR1 could be the replacement for some classes in 2013.

I like the sound of that...hopefully it becomes truth! Thanks!

Yes, it will fit nicely between the two.....

This is odd, Toyo has a tire they call the RR1 now, but it looks like this:

1000.png

Not the same tire Phil is talking about, but it's odd that they'd use that name (again).

• 1 month later...

Toyo had a test day at Thunderhill earlier this year.....the tires guys are RAVING about the RS1.....they say its faster than A6 but lasts like a RA1........ They figure 3 sets will finish the 25 this year!!!!!

They sound tempting.....but my scrub pirellis are MUCH cheaper!!! I can live with the minus 1 second compared to new