Newbie with a potential TT car ?????

t500hps

I have a couple buddies I used to run cigarette boats with that now run CMC cars with Mid-atlantic.....I started coming early last year and got hooked!!! I have progressed with several HPDE3 events now under my belt. My original plan was to get a CMC car as soon as I could but that's looking to be awhile (12-18 months minimum). If I choose, can my current ride be a TT car and any idea what class.

The car, my daily driver:

2008 Dodge Charger SRT8, last weighed 4,200 DRY!!!!

A tuner and CAI and last dyno'd almost 400 at the wheels

"race" brake pads on stock Brembo brakes/rotors

fluid coolers (oil, tranny, power steering)

I had been running my street tires (275/40/20 Vredsteins) but ran the last event on 275/35/18 Continental slicks

That's it: no cage, no other MODS. Does the car fit in any particular class or is it even class legal?

Thanks!!

Russ Carter

Edited by Guest

I don't see a 2008 Charger on the list. They have an 06-07 Charger SRT8 and it is TTC with comp weight of 4160. You may have to email Greg to get a base class for the car.

Anyone else find it?

After you talk to Greg, get in touch with Joel to see what it takes to make a big car live on the track: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12683

Thanks......I've already had a several online conversations with him in the last year and am running some of his recommendations. (I "met" him on a Dodge/LX forum before I started tracking my car)

to make a big car live on the track

What does this Mean??? Please help as I too have a Big Car.

Joel runs a TT Charger and a AIX Challenger, has years of experience, and is quite good. Our cars are known for power steering pump failures (heat and rpm), high oil/engine temps, and the normal braking forces of stopping 4,200 lbs.

Your Camaro may have issues specific to it but braking has to face the same challenges. I use Wilwood EXP brake fluid as the typical "super blue" alot of racers use isn't up to task with this much weight. Carbotech makes a great pad that fits the stock Brembo calipers on our cars, depending on what calipers you have another pad might be of benefit. You already know that 20in wheels are an issue and are dealing with that now I believe.

to make a big car live on the track

What does this Mean??? Please help as I too have a Big Car.

Joel runs a TT Charger and a AIX Challenger, has years of experience, and is quite good. Our cars are known for power steering pump failures (heat and rpm), high oil/engine temps, and the normal braking forces of stopping 4,200 lbs.

Your Camaro may have issues specific to it but braking has to face the same challenges. I use Wilwood EXP brake fluid as the typical "super blue" alot of racers use isn't up to task with this much weight. Carbotech makes a great pad that fits the stock Brembo calipers on our cars, depending on what calipers you have another pad might be of benefit. You already know that 20in wheels are an issue and are dealing with that now I believe.

[quote name="Cobra4B

HEY, that's not funny.......it gave you a break on Sunday didn't it! (and you missed April at Summit, I lost another one. Only this time I tracked one down and swapped it out, only missed one session)

HEY, that's not funny.......it gave you a break on Sunday didn't it! (and you missed April at Summit, I lost another one. Only this time I tracked one down and swapped it out, only missed one session)

I didn't think it was funny at the time. Just funny that it's a known issue with the cars and you found it out so quickly. I didn't know you blew through a 2nd one, but finding a spare and swapping at the track is impressive.

Ralph,

See the OPs reply. I would also add brake ducts for cooling. Doesn't matter what kind of pad or fluid you have if you do nothing to keep them cool.

-Kevin

I didn't think it was funny at the time. Just funny that it's a known issue with the cars and you found it out so quickly. I didn't know you blew through a 2nd one, but finding a spare and swapping at the track is impressive.

how many dodges do you see at the track.........I had to drive 45 miles each way to a dealer and get bent over at the register so I could come back and run all weekend!!! (had to stop and buy a pulley puller too)

I know you were kidding around and probably didn't know I blew another one since you were off getting married and all. They seem to last at VIR though

Ralph,

See the OPs reply. I would also add brake ducts for cooling. Doesn't matter what kind of pad or fluid you have if you do nothing to keep them cool.

-Kevin

oops, this is true......I made these too!!!

Wilwood EXP brake fluid as the typical "super blue" alot of racers use isn't up to task with this much weight.

OT OH! I just flushed my brake fluid this past weekend and went to Super Blue (beacuse it is blue)! I was running Motul 600 with no issues. Hope the super blue will hold up..... Going to CMP this weekend.

Thanks for all the other advice as well. All noted....

they're similar boiling points, so probably ok.

ducts first, then address fade issues (pad fade vs fluid fade are different feels and different solutions so make sure you're addressing the right thing if you still have it)

Russ, did you get a TT classification yet? Just curious to where you end up. You may want to just start bringing a spare PS pump with you. I'm sure if you buy a spare and start carrying it around you'll never have another issue with it.

I haven't heard back regarding car class yet.

As for the pump, maybe I will grab a spare but Ive added a cooler that holds an additional qt of fluid. Added oil and tranny coolers while I had the front of the car off.

Also, I dont recognize the screen name.....who is this?

Russ, did you get a TT classification yet? Just curious to where you end up. You may want to just start bringing a spare PS pump with you. I'm sure if you buy a spare and start carrying it around you'll never have another issue with it.

Wilwood EXP brake fluid as the typical "super blue" alot of racers use isn't up to task with this much weight.

OT OH! I just flushed my brake fluid this past weekend and went to Super Blue (beacuse it is blue)! I was running Motul 600 with no issues. Hope the super blue will hold up..... Going to CMP this weekend.

Thanks for all the other advice as well. All noted....

CMP will challenge any fluid.

I don't see a 2008 Charger on the list. They have an 06-07 Charger SRT8 and it is TTC with comp weight of 4160. You may have to email Greg to get a base class for the car.

Anyone else find it?

The 2008 is the same car as the 2006-2007.....still haven't heard back from the email message I sent?

How do the "points" work regarding upgrades from "base". The base car has a V6 but mine is the SRT with the larger V8. Do points get assessed based on the lowest engine available or whether I've altered the engine that came in my car? It came stock with a "wing", is that a "points" issue? I've also added a tuner and wider tires.

Obvisously I don't know what I'm doing here. Hopefully I can get some clarity at VIR in a couple weeks!

The 2008 is the same car as the 2006-2007.....still haven't heard back from the email message I sent?

Hang in there, as replies are not immediate due to Directors also having day jobs. If you're in a time rush, then put that in your e-mail.

Mark

Assuming that your 2008 is exactly identical to a 2006-2007 Charger SRT8, this is your base:

Dodge Charger SRT8 ('06-'07) TTC 4160

Check your window sticker; any options (aka parts not part of the Base Trim Model) will cost points. Just because it came from the factory doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't cost points. OEM-provided options, such as rear spoilers, front lip spoilers, body kits, limited slip differentials, etc., cost points. Your BTM would be a 2008 Charger SRT8 with no options whatsoever.

Mark