Newbie with a potential TT car ?????

t500hps

The 2008 is the same car as the 2006-2007.....still haven't heard back from the email message I sent?

Hang in there, as replies are not immediate due to Directors also having day jobs. If you're in a time rush, then put that in your e-mail.

Mark

No rush.......I've only had a couple HPDE3's. Just curious as W2W looks to be further off than I originally planned.

Assuming that your 2008 is exactly identical to a 2006-2007 Charger SRT8, this is your base:

Dodge Charger SRT8 ('06-'07) TTC 4160

Check your window sticker; any options (aka parts not part of the Base Trim Model) will cost points. Just because it came from the factory doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't cost points. OEM-provided options, such as rear spoilers, front lip spoilers, body kits, limited slip differentials, etc., cost points. Your BTM would be a 2008 Charger SRT8 with no options whatsoever.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I'm really just trying to learn the rules and understand how the points, etc work. Once I figure all that out I can work from where the cars base starts at.

The BTM of a SRT comes with nearly everything performance related. The options list consists of things like NAV radio/sunroof/subwoofer/HID lights. The only thing that might be a factor is the tires. BTM is 245/45/20 on all 4 and mine came with 245F 255R/45/20's. I currently run a 275 street tire or a 275 non-DOT slick. Based on what I see in the points totals the slick will cost me a fortune (30 pts) and maybe a bad idea to run????

....or would the 30 pts put me in TTB which might be worth the tire points anyway?

Only other change in the car is the CAI and a tuner that added a few hp.....is that +3, +1 or am I reading that correctly? Brake pads don't add anything so I'm good there.

Only other change in the car is the CAI and a tuner that added a few hp.....is that +3, +1 or am I reading that correctly?

C4) Modification of the OEM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/supercharger/intercooler/throttle

body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s), outlets, or vents +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

Whether you do 1 or all of those, you only pay +1.

Tunes are free, with a few guidelines. Check the No-Points Modifications section.

Mark

Only other change in the car is the CAI and a tuner that added a few hp.....is that +3, +1 or am I reading that correctly?

C4) Modification of the OEM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/supercharger/intercooler/throttle

body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s), outlets, or vents +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

Whether you do 1 or all of those, you only pay +1.

Tunes are free, with a few guidelines. Check the No-Points Modifications section.

Mark

Thanks, it almost doesn't matter for now. I have so few other points that I'm well under the threshold. If I run slicks it bumps me to TTB but there are so few other items they have no real effect and keep me well under the threshold.

slicks are non-Dot approved stuff. Hoosier Rs and As aren't slicks... Continental challenge take offs are also not slicks. FYI

slicks are non-Dot approved stuff. Hoosier Rs and As aren't slicks... Continental challenge take offs are also not slicks. FYI

Another opportunity to show my ignorance:

I got these from a Charger enthusiast who never ran them, so I don't know exactly what they are. So what are they?

Continental Extreme Contact DR 275/35/18's. They have no "tread" what-so-ever.

Those sound like take-off CTSCC tires. They fall under +10 for compound as "GAC Hoosiers" (Grand-Am something that starts with a C). VRL = Viper Racing League

2) DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less (examples: Goodyear Eagle RS,

Hankook Z214 (C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier R6, Kumho V710, etc. --note: G.A.C.& VRL Hoosiers OK) +10

The CTSCC tires are made by Hoosier.

To be sure, check the treadwear rating of your tires.

Mark

Those sound like take-off CTSCC tires. They fall under +10 for compound as "GAC Hoosiers" (Grand-Am something that starts with a C). VRL = Viper Racing League
2) DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less (examples: Goodyear Eagle RS,

Hankook Z214 (C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier R6, Kumho V710, etc. --note: G.A.C.& VRL Hoosiers OK) +10

The CTSCC tires are made by Hoosier.

To be sure, check the treadwear rating of your tires.

Mark

I was told Hoosier made/makes these tires. Just went and checked again.......nothing listed for treadwear rating either side. They do say "not DOT approved, for racing purposes only" but I found a set just like them for sale online that are being used by a Grand-Am team.

My street tires I had been running have a treadwear rating of 280

It sounds like you have a take-off set from CTSCC. I just checked one of the tires that I bought from Rehagen, and it didn't have a treadwear rating. They fall under +10 for compound.

Mark

I got these from a Charger enthusiast who never ran them, so I don't know exactly what they are. So what are they?

Do a little more research to see what you have. Without knowing that tire I would think that the "DR" rating on that tire could stand for Drag Radial. That does not mean it is not a capable OT tire. I used Nitto DR tires when I first started and they actually handled very well.

How about posting a picture of the tread area and sidewall.

BTW, I am one of your favorite instructors.

Do a little more research to see what you have. Without knowing that tire I would think that the "DR" rating on that tire could stand for Drag Radial. That does not mean it is not a capable OT tire. I used Nitto DR tires when I first started and they actually handled very well.

No, they are not drag radials (something that Continental doesn't even make or offer for racing).

As previously stated, based on his description, I am 99% sure that they are CTSCC take-offs, as I have 2 sets of them here for reference.

Mark

BTW, I am one of your favorite instructors.

I will look into them but am out of town for most of the week.....I'll post pics then but these say very little on the sidewall.

Favorite Instructor huh? Maybe because I didn't scare the crap out of you last year at VIR? So what happened to you at Hyperfest???? Going to be at VIR in 3 weeks?

You are incorrect. Continental Challenge tires are slicks.

If you mean Conti Challenge tires don't have a 2 grooves then yes they are slick tread. For the meaning in TT they are classified the same as a Hoosier R6 @ 10 points. The World Challenge Pirelli tires are full slicks and fall under the 30 point rule.

Peter

If you mean Conti Challenge tires don't have a 2 grooves then yes they are slick tread. For the meaning in TT they are classified the same as a Hoosier R6 @ 10 points. The World Challenge Pirelli tires are full slicks and fall under the 30 point rule.

Peter

Ken said- Continental challenge take offs are also not slicks.

They are slicks. They do not carry a DOT rating or treadwear rating. I was simply correcting him

I do agree they are a 10pt tire per the TT/PT.

stuff141.jpg

So, once I confirm my base class is "C", confirm/correct my points totals

Tires: Conti's +10 (assuming I have what we think I have)

275 vs 255 base + 4

tuner + 3 (or is this "free")

CAI + 1 (??)

..................and what's the weight/hp ratio deal? (12:1 "C", 10.25:1 "B")

I'm 4,160 according to the BTM of a year older car (mines the same) and my fat azz is about 220. Car makes 425 crank hp stock, nearly 400 whp now (but dyno'ed over 4 years ago). The car is still virtually stock and should weigh the same as when built.

So: 4160+220=4380/400=10.95:1

If I doing this correct I'm forced up to TTB correct?

Thanks again for all the advice!!!!

I ran the info you provided through the TT sheet and based on what you have given us, you are in TTB by 2 points.

Yes I will be at VIR.

no wonder people get confused trying to figure out this ruleset, we can hardly agree on terms Do my Hoosier Rs become "slicks" when I wear the two grooves off?

to answer the OP's last question - and it's a VERY common one:

to fit a particular TT class you must be good on both POINTS and by the ADJUSTED whp/weight formula. If you're over on one but not the other you're still required to run in the higher class.

Conti's never had any grooves regardless of what your A or R6's do with wear.

It is a slick from the start.

It carries the 10pt because it is supposed to be the same compound as a R6.

tuner + 3 (or is this "free")
Read the No-Points Modifications in the rules, as well as the points-paying modifications. Choose whichever applies to your situation.

..................and what's the weight/hp ratio deal? (12:1 "C", 10.25:1 "B")

I'm 4,160 according to the BTM of a year older car (mines the same) and my fat azz is about 220. Car makes 425 crank hp stock, nearly 400 whp now (but dyno'ed over 4 years ago). The car is still virtually stock and should weigh the same as when built.

So: 4160+220=4380/400=10.95:1

If I doing this correct I'm forced up to TTB correct?

Copied from an e-mail that I send out several times per year:

As for the calculations in Appendix B on page 53 of the TT rules, those are only a final check, and they don't necessarily determine which class you're in. If you add your points and you end up in TTD, but Appendix B says that you have a TTC weight/power ratio, then you must run in TTC. If you add your points and you end up in TTC, but Appendix B says that you have a TTD weight/power ratio, then you still stay in TTC.

If I shaved a set of donut spares until there was no tread left, would they be slicks?

Mark

Based on the info provided so far, he ended up in TTB by 2 points, and his HP/WT ratio had him there anyway.

So Russ, you might as well change out your springs, struts/shocks, play with different roll bars, etc. Or add a big wing and front air dam. Maybe all of them, heck you have 17 points to play with and still stay in TTB. you just have to be carefull cutting weight cause you could end up in TTA.

BTW the 2010 Charger SRT8 bases as TTC*. That is what I used for your base. The * starts you off with 7 points.

• 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff

See the Provisional Classings. We will be moving the '06-'10 Charger SRT8's to TTC* (seven points) with a base weight of 4140 lbs (similar to the Challenger mentioned above).