Spec Z build in the SE

Speed Weasel

I see you have the helper spring in the rear. I couldn't get the ride height low enough with it in place. When I removed it, the coil over main spring would sag out of the bucket if the car was raised to remove the wheel. I'll keep checking your post to see how it's goes, appreciate your pictures and description of the build. Good Luck!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed Weasel

• laze1

• esr

• scotts300

I see you have the helper spring in the rear. I couldn't get the ride height low enough with it in place. When I removed it, the coil over main spring would sag out of the bucket if the car was raised to remove the wheel. I'll keep checking your post to see how it's goes, appreciate your pictures and description of the build. Good Luck!

Good info, I plan on using the spacers when they come in. Checked with Nissan today and no eta yet on the next batch.

Nissan Motorsports has everything in stock right now. If you did not receive part of the kit, give them a call.

I have been working with Scott at Nissan on the missing parts. Checked in with him late this afternoon and I should have the spacers tomorrow (came in after I talked to him yesterday) and he reached out to KW today on the missing perches. He has been great to work with.

Woohoo suspension is done

Replacement rear perches came today and that was the last thing to do on the rear suspension.

Perches_zpsd63b7ed3.jpg

A shot of the final rear assembly with the spacers.

RearSpacersInstalled_zps40fe80e4.jpg

Some other update below:

Removed the passenger side airbag.

DSC_0007_zps83ce1856.jpg

Installed the rear sway bar this past weekend.

RearSwayBar_zps4f9166b6.jpg

In addition to working on the rear suspension and sway bar I tackled a few other small projects:

• Cut access holes for the rear damper rebound adjustment
    Removed the window washer reservoir
    Removed the wheel well liners

Just need to bleed the brakes & roll the fenders and it should be ready for the cage install!

Before it goes in for the cage install decided to work on a few more items...

Removed the Clutch Helper Spring last night. Pretty easy and better to do it now before the cage goes in. Much better clutch feel.

ClutchSpring_zpsf0a565e5.jpg

Finished up the partial interior and trunk paint touch up.

TrunkDone_zps2ad4dd0f.jpg

Int_2_zps0bf55065.jpg

Fabricated and installed a plate in the lower dash for the Fire Pull, Battery Cut Off and TraqMate.

Int_1_zps7b4f773f.jpg

Will bleed the brakes tonight or tomorrow and roll the fenders..hopefully...

Getting anxious to get it back on track!

Will you be documenting the cage build up?

Removed the Clutch Helper Spring last night. Pretty easy and better to do it now before the cage goes in. Much better clutch feel.

Fabricated and installed a plate in the lower dash for the Fire Pull, Battery Cut Off and TraqMate.

Will you be documenting the cage build up?

Not sure if I will be able to document too much of the cage build while its in progress but will definitely photograph it when its done.

Car is looking awesome!

Thanks!

Forgot to mention I flushed and filled the trans yesterday with MT-85.

Today was a bit frustrating... did a full flush\fill\bleed on the brakes system with Motul RBF 600 and have a soft pedal. Don't see any leaks so maybe I just didn't get all the air out. Still took it around the neighborhood for a a very cautious test drive. It was great to have four wheels on the ground and from what I could tell WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Hopefully the brake thing is a minor issue.

Normally the Brembos bleed out very easily...

Sp you may have some air left in the calipers...open the bleed screw and push the piston/pad back on each side of each brake to purge and residual air...however...Normally the Brembos bleed out very easily...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, been delayed a bit on the cage install due to scheduling issues on both sides!

However, in the meantime got a few more things done:

• Installed the oil cooler (some pics below)
    Solved the brake issue. As Laze1 suggested pushed the pads back in as well as bled them with the engine running which was also recommended. Not sure which or if it was both but have a solid pedal now.
    Cleaned up the bleeder screws with a wire brush and applied some anti-sieze while I was at it.
    Installed new rotors per the rules. I was going to use the non spec ones for testing but decided since they were about shot I might as well go with what I will be racing with.
    Installed captive hood pins. I ended up removing the stock hood latch during the oil cooler install.
    Started to apply the decals\graphics

Bumper off, getting ready...

OilCooler__002_zpsaf8d1385.jpg

Test fitting the cooler...

OilCooler__003_zps013a2209.jpg

hoses attached to the cooler...

OilCooler__005_zps47e577c4.jpg

Hose routing to the sandwich adapter...

OilCooler__010_zpsb74795b5.jpg

Another shot of hose routing with the plastic back on...

OilCooler__007_zps10302f44.jpg

ClutchSpring_zpsf0a565e5.jpg

Finished up the partial interior and trunk paint touch up.

TrunkDone_zps2ad4dd0f.jpg

Int_2_zps0bf55065.jpg

Int_1_zps7b4f773f.jpg

How hard is removing the "Clutch Helper Spring" and what does this mod do for you? I have never liked the clutch feel in my 07 Nismo 350Z. I have had the recall done on the slave cylinder. Thanks!

How hard is removing the "Clutch Helper Spring" and what does this mod do for you? I have never liked the clutch feel in my 07 Nismo 350Z. I have had the recall done on the slave cylinder. Thanks!

It was a pretty easy job without the cage installed. Some folks have removed the spring without removing the clutch pedal assembly however, I choose to take it out and remove the spring on the bench. As far as benefit goes IMHO you get a much better, more traditional clutch feel and its a bit stiffer. Some folks have also indicated they have had issues with the springs when they get hot.

In other news, the cage is being installed now

go to my350z.com and search for "clutch helper spring" and you will get many many links to info on this. (why/how/improvement/etc)

I also found it much easier to just remove the entire clutch pedal assembly to do the "spring-ectomy". If you have a Factory Shop manual...look up replacing your clutch master cylinder...it will give you a pretty good view of that area of the car and what is required. (not the same project, but working in the same area)

The only real problem in doing this project is working upside down while you lay in the floorboard to remove the pedal assembly.

Stopped by to see how the cage was coming along this afternoon, looking GREAT and should be wrapped up by the end of the week!

350Z_Cage_Ins__001.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__002.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__004.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__005.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__007.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__011.jpg

Applied most of the graphics before it went in for the cage:

350Z_Cage_Ins__009.jpg

350Z_Cage_Ins__010.jpg

I'll shoot and upload more when its complete.

Almost Done!!!

Cage turned out great! Got the fire bottle mounted, nets in, harnesses installed and did some paint work. Oh and switched to AeroCatch latches for the hood. The captive pins I had were not very good nor did I do a very good job installing them so my cage builder put the AeroCatche latches in. Just a few misc. items to take care of such as wiring the TraqMate and battery cutoff, plumb the fire bottle, finishing the graphics and installing the diff cover.

Schedule permitting going to take it up to AMP on Thursday for its first run in race trim

Current Pics:

350Z_11-11-12__008.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__007.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__006.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__005.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__004.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__002.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__001.jpg

350Z_11-11-12__010.jpg

Great run at AMP today! Z ran and handled great and was a blast. Only got loose a couple of times in the first session and was likely due to cold tires and cold brain.

Need to have the fenders rolled although they were only rubbing a small amount and need to tighten the left front SS Brake line at the hard line as there was a drop or so of fluid.

All in all a very successful first outing!

Going to sign up for Santa's Toy Run in DE to get some more seat time.

A few pics from today:

AMP_11-15-12__012.jpg

AMP_11-15-12__009.jpg

AMP_11-15-12__013.jpg

Great pics, enjoyed following your build. Have you had a chance to weigh it yet. I just finished my 2004 build and I'm 100# over with 1/2 tank. Seems to be where most of the older Z's are coming in at