• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed Weasel

• laze1

• esr

• scotts300

Great pics, enjoyed following your build. Have you had a chance to weigh it yet. I just finished my 2004 build and I'm 100# over with 1/2 tank. Seems to be where most of the older Z's are coming in at

I'd also be very interested in the weight as my '03 (almost done) is over as well. I don't see how you get to minimum weight (or close) AND stick with the spec rule with "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" - including removing things.

• 2 weeks later...

It was nice meeting you at the Toy Run last weekend. Enjoyed chasing you around a bit and I'm sure it sped me up a bit. Just need to get to work on my SZ car now!

Lee (Red 370Z)

It was nice meeting you at the Toy Run last weekend. Enjoyed chasing you around a bit and I'm sure it sped me up a bit. Just need to get to work on my SZ car now!

Lee (Red 370Z)

Good to meet you as well! Had fun with the lead follow and you definitely got me to push the Z harder as I was running fairly conservative all weekend. Turned the best lap times that session! Good luck with the build!

David

Santa's Toy Run

Ran the Z in DE3 all weekend. As mentioned above in my reply to Lee, I ran pretty conservative as it was only the second time with it on track in race form and the first time I have had it out at RA. Really the first good test as I have far far more seat time at RA than I do at AMP.

Car ran great with no mechanical issues! I do need to roll the fenders as the left rear was rubbing pretty good. Handling wise, all good there. If anything perhaps pushing a tad but all in all very stable. The few times it got loose (once through fluid in T5 and once coming out of 10B) it was easy to corral and keep on going. Lots of traffic to contend with and pointed plenty of folks by.

After looking at the TraqMate data and comparing it to the SPECZs racing on Saturday, I am happy with where I am at. Using the TBL time I ran less than a second off the race pace and 99.9% of the time was given up in T12. Even comparing it to my best laps in the Lotus I was giving the most up in T12.

Had one procedural Gaff on Sunday...I caused the train with the EV equipment I was coming through 12 as the EV equip was entering the track with the Checker, yellow and EV flag all flying. I was really expecting the Red to come out, checked my mirrors and didn't see anyone directly on me so I slowed down and to be perfectly honest could not remember for the life of me if I should pass the EV (correct answer) or yield and give them the lead which is what I did. The problem is I didn't take into account the pile up that occurred i.e. accordian effect through 12 and train up to T5 where he incident was. I apologize folks and won't forget that one!

It's on to the winter projects and maybe some time at AMP. Need to make sure its ready for comp school

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip, dry ice and a hard mallet works like magic

Looking good! Best way is dry ice and a rubber mallet. Freeze the stuff and break it into pieces. I have tried the heat gun method before too and that just makes a gooey mess....your results may vary

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I posted so thought I would share a few quick updates:

Added some new hood graphics:

HoodGraphics_zps16cf9cc8.jpg

Swapped the gauge faces out for white custom faces from Black Cat Customs:

WhiteGuages_zps92026080.jpg

Z1 installed a set of their Test Pipes as well as Tuned the Z, Many thanks Z1 and UpRev!

TestPipes2_zps26813b26.jpg

TestPipes1_zps4fb851ef.jpg

A few general build notes:

• Changed the wheels studs out for the ARP Studs. They are a bit longer, better suited to racing and the bullnose is helpful.
    Relocated the battery cutoff switch to be out of the way of the side mirror. I attached it to the roll bar just below the window opening.
    I finally got around to wiring my cool shirt now that it is getting warmer and just need to mount the cooler itself.
    Needed an alignment, so took it over Gran Turismo East who did a great job with it.

BTW purchased a Motive Power Fill the other week and it worked great! Made filling the diff far easier and without any mess!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I posted so thought I would share a few quick updates:

Added some new hood graphics:

HoodGraphics_zps16cf9cc8.jpg

Swapped the gauge faces out for white custom faces from Black Cat Customs:

WhiteGuages_zps92026080.jpg

Z1 installed a set of their Test Pipes as well as Tuned the Z, Many thanks Z1 and UpRev!

TestPipes2_zps26813b26.jpg

TestPipes1_zps4fb851ef.jpg

A few general build notes:

• Changed the wheels studs out for the ARP Studs. They are a bit longer, better suited to racing and the bullnose is helpful.
    Relocated the battery cutoff switch to be out of the way of the side mirror. I attached it to the roll bar just below the window opening.
    I finally got around to wiring my cool shirt now that it is getting warmer and just need to mount the cooler itself.
    Needed an alignment, so took it over Gran Turismo East who did a great job with it.

BTW purchased a Motive Power Fill the other week and it worked great! Made filling the diff far easier and without any mess!

Nice! Tuned with what software? Dyno?

"Nice! Tuned with what software? Dyno?"

Thanks and the tune was sponsored by UpRev for the license and Z1 Motorsports for the tuning and dyno (In ground Dyno-Jet 224X).

Very nice build. Those cars sure do have a lot of interior crap in them. Do you know what type of sheathing that is you used on the oil cooler lines? Looks really nice.

Very nice build. Those cars sure do have a lot of interior crap in them. Do you know what type of sheathing that is you used on the oil cooler lines? Looks really nice.

Thank you and I am not 100% on the sheathing, the Oil Cooler Kit came from Z1.

• 4 months later...

Question. For those of us who removed the heater hoses, how tide should we seal the holes on the firewall? And what's the best way to do it?

And put some duct tape over the vents in the rear deck area...one on either side of the trunk...otherwise you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ask me how I know

• 2 weeks later...