2013 Ford Mustang GT500 in ST1 / ST2

gwestr

I've made my way to the advanced group in the BMW CCA and Audi CCA, and I've set my sights on a racing license. I currently drive a beautiful 2010 Audi S4, with the 3.0L V6 and the factory TVS 1320 blower. I don't think I'd like to go down the GTS road with this car. My impression is that class has unlimited tuning and I don't want to be competitive on budget with, for instance, APR. I suppose this car would fall into the GTS3 category. It drives beautifully on and off track. I've only modified the front brakes and the pads. If I continued with this car I'd fit it with an Ohlins suspension and put a larger intercooler in it. There's a ton of interior room. I would not want to gut the entire dash to install a 6 point cage in this vehicle. I'm not sure if the class rules here allow for an installation that is still somewhat clean, like you might see in a GT3.

The new Ford Mustang GT500 has caught my eye for its 5.8L V8 employing the same TVS blower in a larger series. It makes a staggering 670 hp and 650 ft/lb from the factory, and is $61,000 nicely equipped. The SVT track package adds factory oil cooler, transmission cooler, and other nice bits. I'm wondering if this car is suitable for ST, and which class it might fall into (ST1 or ST2). I'm also wondering what the landscape of participants in the ST1/ST2 classes is for the California region. I don't think the interior of this car is nice at all and I'd have no problem with sending it directly to TC Design for a gut job.

The only modifications I'm interested in doing are for safety: 6+ point rollcage, a couple of Sparco seats, halon system, battery cutoff switch, safety net, fire extinguisher, hans system, and perhaps a fuel cell. Is this $10k of work? $20k of work? I just want to know what the ballpark is.

Overall I'm looking for advice as to where I can grow as driver, within NASA. I want to find a place where I fit and run with it.

First off I think you have some good ideas. A Rehagen Mustang (Boss 302S) won the Nationals last year in ST2 at Mid Ohio (only cause I wasn't there). Apparently the GT500 is blown while the 302S is naturally aspirated. Rehagen also runs the 302S in Grand Am. Here's their website: http://www.rehagenracing.com/

As for the size of the ST1 and ST2 classes in Nor Cal the picking are pretty slim. You can look up all their results on MyLaps: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevents.jsp?st=3&org=4031

Here in So Cal we have a regular ST2 crowd of 5-10 cars represented by 4-5 different marques. Lots of fun.....

Regardless since you're just learning you'll have plenty of overall competition regardless of class. I'm sure you've heard this before but unless you've got more money than the Rockefellers than I'd suggest buying a well prepared exising car to learn with for awhile. There's many different marques to play with, Tony likes Beemers and I'm a Porsche guy. With the German manufacturers you can run either the ST series or the GTS series. We have a nice full race GT3 for sale down here if you have any interest. The motor and trans are from one of Tony's more illustrious clients....

Edited by Guest

• Members

You'll never get the SC motor to live long in a racing environment - you'll continually fight heating problems among other things. I'd look at either a Boss 302 (street car) and have it built to your liking or if finances allow, the Boss 302S (factory-built race car ready to go). Both use the NA Boss 302 motor which is proving to be a VERY dependable, reliable, strong motor...

My .015. Good luck!

Ed

ST has similar open-ended preparation type rules that GTS does, just different cars to start with and a bit different way of doing things but not by enough to make one more or less budget friendly than the other.

You might want to look at CMC, or a Spec type class, or prepare a car to the PT ruleset instead.

yea....look at the boss 302S model. its a ready built turn key race car in ST2 trim. wing, splitter, caged, fire suppression, sparco seat, belts, master power switch, aim data and two piece rotors on the front brakes. these are all things that you would have to have done to the Shelby.

btw....rehagen runs a boss 302r model in grand am. thats the grand am package and more expensive.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late arrival...

I would agree that the GT500 is the WRONG car to roadrace. It might make a good TT car when only running a lap or two, but you can't control the heat over the long duration of a 30 minute race.

We can help you build what you need and not waste money going in circles.

-Dean Martin

Rehagen Racing