Roll Bar Questions

ZainRacer

Hi,

I have a 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe that I use for HPDE and autocross events and would like to eventually use it for Time Trials.

I am planning to purchase a bolt-in Autopower Race Roll bar for my car and I would like to get the optional bolt-in diagonal cross brace and harness mount tube.

After reading the rules it seems that the Autopower Race Roll bar is legal for Time Trials but is it legal to have a bolt-in diagonal cross brace and harness mount tube (instead of having these welded to the main hoop).

Is there any reason it is a bad idea to have these bolted in/removal-able as opposed to having them welded in?

I would like to have the option of removing the harness bar and the diagonal cross brace to allow me to store tires, and other stuff while driving to/from the track if needed.

Roll bar with welded diagonal and harness bar

DSC_2848.jpg

Roll bar with optional bolt-in diagonal and harness bar

DSC_2856.jpg

Thanks!

The bolt-in may not be as strong as one that is welded. If you decide to go W2W you will have to replace the whole roll bar with a cage.

The bolt-in may not be as strong as one that is welded. If you decide to go W2W you will have to replace the whole roll bar with a cage.

Autopower has a bolt in race roll bar (I believe both versions ZainRacer showed are variations of the race roll bar), and you do have to have a full cage for wheel-to-wheel racing, but you wouldn't necessarily have to remove this rollbar. Another option would be to add later the kit autopower sells to turn that rollbar into a full cage (requires welding at that point) which would be NASA approved. I'm not necessarily saying that it's the way to go versus having a custom cage done, just that I believe it's legal.

See: http://www.autopowerindustries.com/rollcages.asp the U-WELD FRONT CAGE KIT option.

I am not planning to go W2W racing anytime in the near future and if/when I do W2W I would probably have a full custom cage welded in.

The reason I want to add a roll bar is so I can use a 5-pt harness for HPDE and for Time Trials in the future. I just wanted to know if a roll bar with a bolted harness bar and diagonal cross braces is legal for Time Trials.

I called Autopower today and they said if a bolt-in roll bar is legal for a sanctioning body then the bolt-in roll bar with the removable braces is also legal.

The reason I want to add a roll bar is so I can use a 5-pt harness for HPDE and for Time Trials in the future. I just wanted to know if a roll bar with a bolted harness bar and diagonal cross braces is legal for Time Trials.

I used the same AutoPower roll bar that you are talking about. Mine was in a '03 Mustang/Cobra convertible. I also want to be able to use harness. It is a good product and you will be fine with it as long as you pass a broom stick test. Make sure that your head with helmet on is lower than a broom stick that sits on top of your windshield and roll bar.

Time Trial cars follow the same guide lines that HPDE cars do. If you are legal in HPDE you are legal for TT.

Folks-

The bolt-in option is fine for HPDE and TT use as contemplated above, so the OP is good to go with the setup proposed.

Have fun.

-JWL

John Lindsey

Chief Divisional Director

NASA