Manual steering yay or nay?

Cobra4B

Anyone have a manual steering rack in a <2600lb racecar? Pros/cons etc.? Considering going manual on the Panoz, but concerned about it being too stiff for longer sessions. I've always heard that most racers choose power steering if given the choice. It helps you be more nimble and make quick corrections etc. etc.

Thoughts?

would imagine this question is mostly dependent on the track your running. If its a tight autocross course power steering is almost manditory, but something more like Spa wouldn't be as bad without power steering.

From what I've heard though road racing without power steering is a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I say yay. Not sure how the Panoz is set up, but on the Miata you can effectively reduce the effort by lowering the caster. I think the feel is 100% better though, and as soon as I can find the time to get my power rack out, Im converting it.

I'm at 2400, FWD and no power steering. At speed, I can't tell. Pulling out of the Garage I can. Crossed up, heading towards an off track and saving it, adrenaline takes care of any delta. I think I've only really noticed one time where I thought "boy I wish I still had it"

I'm at 2400, FWD and no power steering. At speed, I can't tell. Pulling out of the Garage I can. Crossed up, heading towards an off track and saving it, adrenaline takes care of any delta. I think I've only really noticed one time where I thought "boy I wish I still had it"

I'm FWD at 2300 and the only time I notice is at a dead stop. If I'm rolling 1mph it's super easy.

It depends on steering geometry, alignment, steering wheel diameter, the rack itself, and weight distribution. get a good manual rack and figure it out. It is a personal choice.

The power steering pump went out on my MINI and I did a couple track sessions with manual steering. It was tough, but the feel was great! I was told that taking the PS pump out and doing a loop around would lower the resistance. But the next day my PS was back (electric PS pump) and during that session I had a moment and realized without PS I would not have caught the car.

If someone made a manual rack for the MINI with a steering ratio designed for manual steering I would throw it in the car the next time the PS pump goes belly up. But trying to drive a rack setup for power steering, without power steering does not work.

The MINI is FWD, 2570 empty, or 2750 with the driver.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

seem to be a lot of FWD and MINI feedback..... i will continue the trend.

i have a 2014lb MINI with the power steering pump relocated to the rear of the car. i have a switch on the dash panel to turn it off/on. i have a really hard time in the paddock without it (245+ wide slicks). i've turned it off on track as an experiment, but i like the handling/feel better with it in the "on" position. i am sure that a company like Woodward engineeering could provide a proper rack that would work without power. i'm just not ready to go there yet.

beaner