anyone racing a Z3?

robbodleimages

i have got a chance to pick up a Z3 race car. its not really been classed and i am exploring what options i might have. i am wonder where it fits in gts and how it races. thanks

Well it's German so it fits into GTS

Seriously it depends on the motor but it probably goes in 1,2 or 3. There aren't THAT many Z3 racers our there but there are some including myself.

this is a 1999 2.5L version of the car.

Most likely it would be GTS2 with a 2.5ltr. Some depends on what if any mods have been done to the motor and chassis. Need to know car weight as raced and RWHP/TRQ.

-Scott B.

there is/was a guy running one in NASA-SE...a Blue Z3 M-Coupe...I would guess a 1999 or so model year. Leema see if I can find a picture or any info

thats sort of my thinking. this engine comes in as an ITS car for SCCA. it would be a good enduro car. the occasional lightning group race would be fun too.

shocks and springs and exhaust.

all the weight an complexity of a late model E36 with all of the shortcomings associated with the E30 rear suspension, plus the one day you'll find your rear subframe going one way and the chassis going the other.

I owned a Z3 for 11 years and an E30 for longer.

It would be the last car I would consider for a race car.

Wow, Jeff, you're a really party pooper Just kidding.

You're right though, if you had a choice, an E30 would be easier, cheaper. Z3's are small so the cage is hard to make. If you're too big a driver you may not even fit. One of the biggest issues is the lack of aftermarket bodywork. It becomes one huge bespoke project.

I think the OP has an opportunity to buy an already prepared race car and not starting from scratch.