18' Car Hauler, Hybrid, Sleeper, Fueling Station, and more

Ron Earp

Custom Race Car Hauler

This trailer was built for the ultimate in convenience at the race track. It started life as a brand new 2009 Kaufmann 18ft steel trailer. To that we added four belly boxes with lids, a large box on the front to be used as work and sleeping quarters, air conditioning, stereo, fold up aluminum ramps, dual tire racks, on board fuel tank, batteries, winch, solar charging, 3000W power inverter, and a whole lot more.

I’ve been using this trailer for two years and it is fabulous for the weekend racer. I pull up and within minutes my paddock area is setup because all one has to do is open the trailer doors and you’re ready for business. Unloading or loading the car only takes a minute or so with the folding ramps and electric tongue jack. Gets far more attention at the track than my race cars, that is for sure. It is unique, one of a kind, and quite useful.

Features:

*18ft steel trailer with new Goodyear Marathon Class D trailer tires. Spring cantilever suspension.

*Two trailer mounted spare tires, great shape, Class C.

*Electric winch and tongue jack, both work great. Winch has a 25ft extension cable.

*Four steel belly boxes for storage of parts and spares. The three deck boxes are 7’ x 25” and hold a huge amount of parts. The fourth box is under the cabin and houses the marine batteries and 3000W inverter. The deck bins all have integrated handle locks.

*Two integrated tire racks that will hold around fourteen 15” wheels/tires, depending on width. Lockable with a padlock.

*Built in 30 gallon fuel cell and filling hose, all DOT rated. Fuel can be gravity feed to your car or to bottles. Works great and has two gas caps so it can be filled from either side for convenience at the fuel pump.

*Full power system 12VDC and 110VAC – This system has a built in 3000W inverter that is powered by two deep cycle marine batteries. The inverter is plumbed into power on the rig so you can plug in air compressors or impact guns to use at the track. The power grid is also rigged for shore power to run the air conditioner or other heavy tools. The batteries are charged by the car system when hooked up and by the 100W solar panel on the roof. Pull up and power on without running drop cords.

*Sleep quarters or storage area – The passenger side of the box is divided so that a single person can sleep in the box area. I have slept in the box many times and it is just fine. I used an electric blanket in winter and of course the AC when it is hot. Mattress not included.

*Two speaker stereo – Sony head unit, AUX and USB in, crank up your tunes when kicking back in the paddock with a cold one.

*TV – yes, it has TV, and digital at that. Great for weather reports at the track.

*Rear camera mounted on the trailer that can be connected to your stereo in your truck for visual (if you have a DVD screen)

*Fluorescent lighting in the sleeping quarters

*Tools and accessories that ARE INCLUDED: 50ft air hose reel, 25ft light reel, pit pal on door, pit pan can holder, and tool box mounted in the trailer. All tools that are shown like jacks, jack stands, hand tools, all tools in the tool box ARE NOT INCLUDED.

This is an awesome trailer. It tows VERY well when load leveler bars are used. I have never any problems with it at all, no flats, bad tire wear, or anything of that nature. Brakes are great, tires are Goodyear Marathon Load D range, great wheel bearings and wheel bearing grease fittings.

Ready to go, located in Cary/Raleigh NC. Sorry, I will not deliver.

Asking $5700, email is [email protected] or phone 9am-8pm EST 919-949-585one. I am motivated to sell as I have another trailer on order, so, if you have an offer let me know.

QUESTIONS:

Are the belly boxes water tight? They were designed to be but the rear ones do leak a little bit. I have always stored my parts in Rubbermaid bins so that it isn’t an issue.

How much space is there for sleeping? I am about 5’8” and fit well inside the sleeping area. If you are > 6 ft you’ll not be able to stretch out.

What sort of cars fits on the trailer? I know for sure a Datsun 260Z fits great and a 1998 Mustang fits, as well as the Lola replica. The Mustang is about the largest that can comfortably fit.

Why are you selling? I'm going to a toy hauler of a sorts. My daughter wants to come to the track with me and I figure I should try to do that while she has the desire. I've got a few years before she turns into a teenager and after that I'll be SOL.

Who did all the custom work? R&J Welding in Apex NC, they do fabulous custom welding.

There are a lot of images here:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/trailer/

IMG_5642.JPG

trailer287.jpg

trailer22.JPG

trailer23.JPG

trailer24.JPG

trailer25.JPG

trailer26.JPG

Yes, it is in the mid-3000 lbs range with the box and items I have in the box. You could lighten it by removing one of the marine batteries (~105 lbs), smaller power inverter, and reduce the tool load. I know I've got too much stuff in it as evidenced by the fact I'm one of the guys people come to in order to borrow stuff, most of which I never use myself!