Transmission

dbgeek

My transmission is starting to whine loudly enough to get some attention. Since I'll be doing a clutch, it seems like a good time to swap the trans, too.

Where on the tranny is the stamping? I can't find any number sets that match the listed required part, even though the VIN sticker on the trans matches that of the car (so it is original).

For others:

318 - Getrag S5D 200G (92-95)

318 - Getrag S5D 250G (96-98)

323/5 - Getrag S5D 250G

328 - ZF S5D 320Z

M3 - ZF S5D 310Z (95)

M3 - ZF S5D 320Z

• Members

Pete,

Have you lined up the rules to your list?

9.3.12.1. Transmission shall be an unmodified factory standard five speed manual designated for the US E36 model and shall be stamped with either 23001221836, 23001222393, 23001434407, 23001221837, 23001222400, or 23001434410.

M3/328 trans are not allowed because they have a different ratio in it and are sized differently requiring other changes.

I just changed my trans for the first time after 4+ seasons and it was an original unit with over 160k miles

Jon,

The point is that I have the stock transmission (93 325is, tranny VIN matches car) and can't find any of those listed numbers on the transmission. I haven't pulled the trans yet, but looked around with a flashlight. I'm wondering if I am looking in the wrong places?

That list was just a note to let people know which cars came with the same transmission (getrag 250).

M3/328 trans are not allowed because they have a different ratio in it and are sized differently requiring other changes.

Are you sure about having a different ratio? I've been told by several reliable sources that the ratio is the exact same. I have heard that driveshafts are different though, but not confirmed. I think we should open discussion for M3/328 trans as a viable option unless we can confirm that they have different ratios. If it is the same ratio, only thing we're adding is an option for a more reliable trans.

From several places online.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591907

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87786

http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=941

ZF 320/310

1st 4.2:1

2nd 2.49:1

3rd 1.67:1

4th 1.24:1

5th 1.0:1

Getrag 250

1st 4.23:1

2nd 2.52:1

3rd 1.66:1

4th 1.22:1

5th 1.0:1

Using the ZF would require a different driveshaft, as it has more bolts at the guibo.

Ahh good to know. Now are those ratios different enough to give someone with the 328/M3 trans an advantage? I wouldn't think so. What do you guys think? Are those ratios different enough to not consider a more reliable trans as an option in the rules?

I feel like this is a similar situation as to the Stewart Water Pump....which I'm not sure if its legal or not but that should be up for consideration as well.

• Members

Stewart pump is allowed.

I am more than happy to discuss the trans swap issue, but I would tend to believe that the National office will not be in favor as our series has not seen any issues with trans failures after 4 seasons of racing. A trans is a wear item for sure and many of us have over 150k miles on the parts; we should expect them to fail after a while. A stock rebuild should be able to handle our power levels without issue. Now if we were 200hp or more (more being the old E36 WC cars for instance) with solid motor and trans mounts, it would probably be a different story.

I can tell the collective group that it tends to be difficult to have a change made to the rules unless there is significant data to support. The BW chips were an example where multiple racers were having fuel cut occur at the fastest portion of tracks, which tend to be places where passes are attempted or made. Additionally, some cars had the fuel cuts and others did not. This type of example lead to swift action by National to ensure equivalent platforms and support safety.

Thanks for opening the discussion.

Are water pumps open?...sorry if they are and I didn't know - I didn't see it when I glanced through the rules. If not, then water pumps don't fail often...so how nationals in favor of the stewart water pump?

Back to transmissions, I've already gone through 1 getrag, you swapped out yours prematurely, peter/sean and i think someone else's is making the whining noise it makes before they let go. ZFs used are cheaper than rebuilt transmissions (as of right now). They're much more reliable, thats well known. It doesn't seem to give any advantage except for potentially reliability and longevity...if someone wants to go through the trouble of putting one in.

Anyone else feel the same...or different?

• Members

Oh and just to be clear, my trans was swapped as a result of my money-shift from March, gotta love 8000+rpms.

Waterpumps are open to OEM replacements.

I'm on my second getrag transmission...both of mine are whining but I haven't noticed any real issues with shifting as of yet...knock on wood!

I tend to find the cheapest replacement I can find to throw in there, although it does get annoying replacing them more frequently. I think this 2nd one has lasted 2 or 3 seasons?

Not that I care either way, I don't think it should matter.

I've got a getreg in my dd M3, its been on that engine for the past 6 years probably 40,000 miles and it hasn't let me down yet. They make some noise but I've never broken or blown up or whatever the concern is.

I've got a getreg in my dd M3, its been on that engine for the past 6 years probably 40,000 miles and it hasn't let me down yet. They make some noise but I've never broken or blown up or whatever the concern is.

Mine whines like a dog box - input bearing is my guess, as the whine varies with engine rpm, not speed. The synchros feel ok, but I'm looking for options - replacement getrag, rebuild this box, or rules change for a ZF. There is a local tranny shop that was recommended, so I'll get a quote there, first.

Pete,

You could look into Drivegear as I think they rebuild transmissions for the e30/e36. I was looking into that route when I cared enough about wanting new stuff, but if I can still find ones for a couple hundred dollars, I'm just going to use those before rebuilding. Same goes for the engine haha.

• 2 months later...

I can assure you those ratio differences would be impossible to feel. I run a custom geared race box and to feel any noticeable change, you need to go at least .1 different. A .02 change cannot be felt. Especially with torquey engines like the e36 has.

Chris