When to replace Tires? Is there anymore life!

phat ralph

Hey Guys,

I am on the fence on whether to change tires or not. Next event is at CMP in August. Which is hard on tires because of the rough sandy asphalt? I have 30 track day sessions on a set of Nitto NT-01's. A little more wear on the inner side due to the negative camber. But also do not know if it is worth the expense to turn the tires on the wheels at roughly $80. Do you think they will make it another 8 sessions? Or should I just change them out? Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom......

2zfuclh.jpg

Rears:

6ntwms.jpg

Fronts:

sor13t.jpg

Those look to be getting pretty thin, but ultimately up to you. I'm not the guy that would be dealing with a corded tire

That's what I was looking for! Thanks

I still see wear indicator hols on both the inside and outside of those tire.

From what I see in the pics, I'd have no problem using those again.

Do you have a second set of rims?? If not, you should. I'd run those and bring along another set,

I still see wear indicator hols on both the inside and outside of those tire.

From what I see in the pics, I'd have no problem using those again.

Do you have a second set of rims?? If not, you should. I'd run those and bring along another set,

Yes, wear bars and holes are showing. Just the inside ones are almost gone but still a little vissible. Maybe a 1mm depth.

Currently only one set of wheels. As soon as I get a tow vehicle and trailer I will get another set of wheels. I use a pull behind tire trailer, so I could put on my streets if all else fails.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Guest

The grooves are barely left though. I know with Hoosiers and RA1s that means cords aren't far behind. NT-01s could be different so listen to those people with experience on that exact tire first.

If you had backup tires you don't mind running on (like streets) then that's an option to look at as well, run these to truly kill 'em and swap to the backups if/when needed

Cords aren't far behind. However, considering the amount of heat cycles, they probably won't wear that rapidly.

Is there a tire vendor at the track? If so, here's what I would do: Run the old tires and bring the new ones with. If you cord them during or after the first day, put the fresh tires on for the rest of day 1/day 2. If you don't cord them day 1 but you cord them during day 2, just run your streets the rest of day 2. If you don't cord them after both days, toss them out knowing that they are well done.

Good information! Thanks...... I think I got the answer I was looking for. Better to replace and knowing this is the life expectancy of the tires. Thanks all!

I run NT01s as well, and I don't swap them until I see cord/belts showing. When I 1st started, I would get a good 4-5 weekends out of a set, but now I get about 2 weekends out of them.

Even after the cording them on the outside edges, I've run them a full day more. I just rotated them around to put the non-corded tire on the front outside (for the track I was running), and put the most corded tire on the rear inside. of course, this was not the full circumference of the tire showing, it was patchy.

I would run those tires again. NT01s have a bit of rubber under the grooves.

Having a 2nd set of rims really helps though. You could mount those new NT01s on another set and bring them with you

I run NT01s as well, and I don't swap them until I see cord/belts showing. When I 1st started, I would get a good 4-5 weekends out of a set, but now I get about 2 weekends out of them.

Even after the cording them on the outside edges, I've run them a full day more. I just rotated them around to put the non-corded tire on the front outside (for the track I was running), and put the most corded tire on the rear inside. of course, this was not the full circumference of the tire showing, it was patchy.

I would run those tires again. NT01s have a bit of rubber under the grooves.

Having a 2nd set of rims really helps though. You could mount those new NT01s on another set and bring them with you

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you still run the Nitto's or have you switched to something with more life? If so what tire did you settle on?

I still run the NT01s, as they're a great compromise between cost, life and grip. I also drive the car to the track most of the time, so the NT01s work great for the drive to and from the facility.

From what I've been told, the NT01s last quite a bit longer than other DOT rated R-comps, although I've never run anything different.

I've been doing HPDE and TT events with NASA since Apr 2011, and have been through 6-7 weekends and 2 sets of NT01s. I have my 3rd set mounted and ready for the next event

Mine always wear much more on the outter edges, but leave plenty of rubber left on the inners. The last set was corded on the outter edge on 2 of the tires, but the inner edge still had the rain grooves left.

My car is fairly heavy (as is yours) weighing in at 3795lbs, but due to the GTO's front end geometry, I can only get 1* of neg camber (using 6mm spacers) before the tire contacts the strut body; 1/2* without the spacers.

Looking at your pics, yours seem to be wearing fairly even, so I imagine you'll get more life out of yours then I get out of mine.

My car is fairly heavy (as is yours) weighing in at 3795lbs, but due to the GTO's front end geometry, I can only get 1* of neg camber (using 6mm spacers) before the tire contacts the strut body; 1/2* without the spacers.

My NT01's are wearing more on the inside edge. I run 2* of negetive camber on all corners. Well with the information you provided I may try to run them for another weekend. I will keep an eye on them after every session. Then I will know what I can get out of a set! Thanks again.

My NT01's are wearing more on the inside edge. I run 2* of negetive camber on all corners.

Wow, that's great! I'm sure my issues are due to excessive deflection (MacPherson strut setup) and the dynamic camber is probably going positive on me under load

Sounds like the 5th gen has good geometry up front, even under load. You may play with tire pressures, or go out 1/4* on the front to see if you can tame the inner wear??

Sounds like the 5th gen has good geometry up front, even under load. You may play with tire pressures, or go out 1/4* on the front to see if you can tame the inner wear??

I have a lot of suspension mods. Pedders Coilovers and 27mm/32mm sway bars and bushings through out. That withe the alingment is the only way I could get the understeer out of the Camaro. Still playing with air pressures but now starting with 30 front and 28 rear. Hot they are around 39 front and 37 rear. I may take a little of camber out of the rear to help with an occasional oversteer.