hot hot hot Hoosiers -- which one?

sfteague

Hi all,

I'm curious if any of you have run both R6 and A6 tires for time trials on a super hot day? (think 105° or so...)

I know a lot of people prefer A6's for TT because they're lightning for 3 laps, but I wonder if once the ambient temperature gets over a certain level that the track surface gets so hot that they're just no good?

And alternatively how does an R6 respond to that kind of temperature? Does the R6 become a better TT tire choice in super hot weather?

Depends on the track, some fall off more than others. I've had A6s turn yucky at 85deg and break a track record at 100deg.

I'm mostly driving Infineon and Thunderhill (Willows), so those are the most relevant tracks for me.

I have only tried A6's. At Thill and Infineon in temps over 95, A6's will start to overheat and slide around by the 3rd lap, (3300 lb car), but still probably as quick as R6's.

I usually get only 1-2 laps before catching traffic, A6s are my choice. YMMV

--------

John

03Z06 TTS

I have only tried A6's. At Thill and Infineon in temps over 95, A6's will start to overheat and slide around by the 3rd lap, (3300 lb car), but still probably as quick as R6's.

I usually get only 1-2 laps before catching traffic, A6s are my choice. YMMV

--------

John

03Z06 TTS

Gotcha, thanks John. I'm guessing it's a similar game then in my 3415lb e46 m3.

A6 will always be faster.

If it's super hot; they'll both turn to crap sooner but the A6 will be faster prior to that STILL from what I've seen. It'll just turn squishy a lot earlier.

On my 3300 lb car, I've pushed A6's out of their comfort zone in 1 lap on a 75 degree day with aggressive driving and turns (ie not ideal driving). Just depends how you drive - as always.