Harry Lap TImer Pro

370z

I picked up this app for the IPhone- "Harry Lap Timer Pro" and shot video with IPhone 4S. Easy to use- I've done a couple events and happy with app- does nice overlay. Can overlay onto GoPro too but I have not attempted that yet. For the handful of times I HPDE each season this is an inexpensive way to get some driving feedback and nice video too.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I've had that app for a while, but never used the video with it.

Do you need a cable for obdII for rpm and gear indicator?

What mount are you using?

tia,

I downloaded that app earlier this year and it is a very affordable gps based lap timer. Not the most accurate in the world without using an external gps antenna but good enough for DE work.

I have tried to use the overlay information on my GoPro videos with minimal success. You have to upload your video to the phone, then do the overlay, then send it back to your computer. The problem is getting the video file right to be accepted by the Iphone. Something I'm still working on so any tips would help from those that have done it. I am not sure if the video format is correct of the file size just too big.

I'd say I consider myself a big fan of Harry's Lap Timer. I have had great success using it at both Lime Rock Park and both NJMP tracks this year, but I use 3 GoPro cameras to get several different camera angles. I've been using Race Render 2 (http://www.racerender.com) to do multiple picture-in-picture video with data overlay using information exported from HLT.

I use a Dual XGPS150 external GPS device, and a PLX Devices ODBII device to get the data out of the car (a 2009 Mustang GT, with loads of mods). The results are pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thelunat1ck/videos

If you look back at the earlier track videos, you can figure out when I bought the 3rd camera

This was a pretty affordable investment, really. Not counting the phone, of course, I spent less than $300 to get a system that let's me create track videos that are GREAT for learning what you did right and wrong on the track.

And they impress your buddies, too....

Yep, Harry's Lap Timer Pro is a great little tool for the price!

I fabricated a custom mount using a spare center console lid and a 'lil Buddy.

15372972_large.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the camera's perspective:

I also tested Harry's against a transponder, and found it to be within .05 (5 hundredths) for each lap. I was impressed with the accuracy of the iPhone's internal GPS, even though it's limited to 1Hz.

BTW: Harry's does give time down to the hundredth, but not to the thousandth.

I also tested Harry's against a transponder, and found it to be within .05 (5 hundredths) for each lap. I was impressed with the accuracy of the iPhone's internal GPS, even though it's limited to 1Hz.

BTW: Harry's does give time down to the hundredth, but not to the thousandth.

Thank you are right. I have to make that correction.

I've got the app too. I think it has great potential based on everything I've read. However, here are my observations:

1) I could not get any reliable data at all using it with the iPhone alone. This is not a complaint, Harry makes it pretty clear that without an add on GPS device that data collection would be dicey.

2) iPhone video is fairly poor compared to GoPro, but okay.

3) If you want to use GoPro video the process is convoluted.

4) There is no software comparable to RaceRender for the Mac.

5) The documentation is fairly poor. I think one issue is that English is not Harry's first language and even though he is fluent, some of the 'user manual' is less than clear. I think it is also an issue that it is sometimes hard for someone intimately involved with a product to write a manual for people who are not familiar with it and who are often clueless, like myself. I think it would be really nice if he had someone write a very clear, easy to understand manual....even for dummies. I do know that Harry provides almost immediate feedback on questions and ideas so support is excellent.

All that being said, I am going to stick with it for now and hope to order a GPS unit to go with it soon and just hope that someone develops some decent video overlay software for the Mac.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got the app too. I think it has great potential based on everything I've read. However, here are my observations:

1) I could not get any reliable data at all using it with the iPhone alone. This is not a complaint, Harry makes it pretty clear that without an add on GPS device that data collection would be dicey.

2) iPhone video is fairly poor compared to GoPro, but okay.

3) If you want to use GoPro video the process is convoluted.

4) There is no software comparable to RaceRender for the Mac.

5) The documentation is fairly poor. I think one issue is that English is not Harry's first language and even though he is fluent, some of the 'user manual' is less than clear. I think it is also an issue that it is sometimes hard for someone intimately involved with a product to write a manual for people who are not familiar with it and who are often clueless, like myself. I think it would be really nice if he had someone write a very clear, easy to understand manual....even for dummies. I do know that Harry provides almost immediate feedback on questions and ideas so support is excellent.

All that being said, I am going to stick with it for now and hope to order a GPS unit to go with it soon and just hope that someone develops some decent video overlay software for the Mac.

To be honest, I disagree on a lot of the points above. I find that the iPhone 4 720p recording to be pretty good compared to the GoPro and I'd imagine recording quality would be even better with the 4S. The first video (NJMP) is GoPro 1080p (although I'm sure YT downgrades it to 720p) overlaid with HLT. The 2nd video (Pocono) was recorded directly with the iPhone.

NJMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FeepTnR68

Pocono

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zH2ioq7xdg

Overlaying an external video isn't too bad -- you just have to be detail oriented. You know approximately where the lap ends so set the ending point. HLT knows what your lap time is so it will automatically figure out the starting point. Click overlay and see how it looks. If the video and track are not in sync, then you go back and redo it but play around with few tenths of a second. By your 2nd or 3rd try you should have it pretty darn close. It only gets more "complicated" if you're trying to overlay multiple laps which in that case, it's easier to start backwards. Pick your last lap, remember what the ending point was and overlay it. And then on your 2nd to last lap, pick the same video from before, subtract the time off your previous lap to find the next end point, and rinse/repeat.

In terms of user friendliness of the application & manual, I find it pretty straightforward. It's just the app is so robust/capable of so many things it can be easy to get lost in some of the features but that's only if you choose to mess around. If you want to stick to the basics, his user interface doesn't get any simpler. Select driver, vehicle, track, and press start driving. And all his documentation covers all the high level stuff. Here's his tutorial on overlaying videos:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Video.html

And lastly, if all else fails, Harry is great about getting back to you with any questions/feedback. He monitors his forum pretty often.

• 11 months later...

I too like Harry's Lap Timer and was impressed....when it would work. My issue stems from the IPhone itself and not the app. In my case, the interior of my car gets too hot during the summer months and would spike the internal temp of the phone...something you cannot bypass on the IPhone. I elected to put-in a Traqmate instead.

So, if you're thinking of trying Harry's Lap Timer....go for it. Hard to beat given the inexpensive upfront cost if you already have an IPhone.

• 8 months later...

My fiirst post!

I use the petrolhead version, which allows lap timing and basic video. I think the next version up allows overlay of your reference video (ghost), but I don't find that necessary.

Here are a few videos posted:

The latest one was uploaded using the new multi-lap overlay feature which comes in handy:

The latter video was also recorded with an external GPS. You can see that the speed of the car is tracked much more smoothly as compared to the first video which uses the iphone's GPS.

I also need to figure out a way to sync the lap start times as well...

• 2 months later...

Read our interview with Harry, our how to on using smart phone video and data loggers and our review of Laptimer and its competitors.

Not trying to poopoo on the thread, I just wanted to add some comparable videos so the OP can better decide. My last DE event was the first time I've ever used any data logger.

There were several to choose from, they all pretty much had the same features that I personally needed. I didn't see too many benefits from one or the other but I'm just a weekend warrior(and by weekend I mean months lol). So I went with CMS Lap Timer(data/iPhone GPS), Racerender(video editor) and two gopros for video recording.

Driving in HPDE, I dont feel like I need the most accurate data, close is good enough. You can see from the videos, especially in the speed, that it's not the smoothest but everything else seemed to work really well. If I were to do more serious events then only would I invest in an external gps.

I was really happy with both products, especially race render. Racerender was very intuitive and easy to use. Once I made the full session video it was so easy to crop specific parts of the video which other drivers were requesting from me.

Best lap video

Full session video