Air Conditioning Removal

Jagerz

I need advice.. Is the best procedure (for a VQ35DE engine) to pull the compressor and eliminate the separate belt going to it, or just leave the compressor/belt in (just let the belt run on the open clutch) and remove everything else?

g) The air conditioning system may be removed. Modification or removal of the heater core and

blower fan assembly is permitted, but not recommended.

Also, probably a stupid question, why is it not recommended to remove the heater core and blower fan assembly?

Why is it not recommended to remove the heater core and blower fan assembly?

it'd be hard to de-fog the windshield in rainy conditions without those parts.

If it were me, I'd remove the weight of the AC system as much as permitted absent any oddities with the engine/car that would make having that pulley, belt, & weight/weight placement advantegous .

If it were me, I'd remove the weight of the AC system as much as permitted absent any oddities with the engine/car that would make having that pulley, belt, & weight/weight placement advantegous .

Makes sense. I am going to keep the blower fan and heater core for now and worry about it later only if I can't make weight.

• 7 months later...

If it were me, I'd remove the weight of the AC system as much as permitted absent any oddities with the engine/car that would make having that pulley, belt, & weight/weight placement advantageous .

Makes sense. I am going to keep the blower fan and heater core for now and worry about it later only if I can't make weight.

I recently had the "opportunity" to remove my AC - I deleted it all - including the mounting bracket, belt, etc- no problems.

But I will certainly be keeping my heater core/fan - since the next weekend I ran the Sunday race was in pouring rain / sleet / snow and without the defrost capability I would have been blind (also watch recent grand-am races where you can see how much fogging can be a competitive race issue) - so keep the heat!

• 8 months later...

I had to end up pulling the heater core because it was right in the way of the dash bar. I'm sure if I had worked with the fabricator a little more on the issue we could have worked it out, but it is what it is.

Just for grins, I left the belt and compressor on, spinning free with open clutch, and did a couple of Dyno runs. Then cut the belt to the compressor and did 2 more runs. It was like a 4-5 HP gain up top if I recall.

I had to end up pulling the heater core because it was right in the way of the dash bar. I'm sure if I had worked with the fabricator a little more on the issue we could have worked it out, but it is what it is.

Just for grins, I left the belt and compressor on, spinning free with open clutch, and did a couple of Dyno runs. Then cut the belt to the compressor and did 2 more runs. It was like a 4-5 HP gain up top if I recall.

Wow - nice info - glad I ditched mine....