Lightest Spec Z?

JP350Z

I've read in GRM that the later Z's with more power are favored as the car to build for the class. Has anyone tried to build an earlier model? They start out alot lighter. Shamless plug, I have one for sale in the classified section.

my 2004 track model is 3050 with full tanks...add 200 lbs for a fat driver, that makes me 3250 lbs which is 150lb over the 03-04 "DE" base weight of 3100...so weights need to be adjusted at some point.

But yes, later cars will be faster no doubt with the current weights

ZNation out of Virginia has a 2004 350 Z that is super loud and super fast. I believe they are working on a roll cage and making it official tissue!

my 2004 track model is 3050 with full tanks...add 200 lbs for a fat driver, that makes me 3250 lbs which is 150lb over the 03-04 "DE" base weight of 3100...so weights need to be adjusted at some point.

Well 3250 with a full tank is 3150 with a quarter tank... That sounds like its pretty close to me.

Why do guys feel the later cars will be faster? They may put down a faster lap time... but my experience tells me a heavier car will have less tire and brake at the end of the race. Will the newer cars be better TT cars... yes. But IMO in a race and especially in an enduro the lighter car will be the car to have.

I've read in GRM that the later Z's with more power are favored as the car to build for the class. Has anyone tried to build an earlier model? They start out alot lighter. Shamless plug, I have one for sale in the classified section.

My 03' is fully Spec, and currently 2970# with low gas and no driver. I still have a regularly-size battery and a passenger seat. Driver's weight is on the upswing and approaching 170# though, so my race rig is about 40# heavy. If everyone had to add weight, that'd be easy as well, but I expect to finish the race close to 3120# in the near future, and don't want to push it much lower than that just in case.

All years are spec'd to a 12:1 weight-to-power ratio. The differences then being hp/tq curve, peak tq, and rev-limit.

ZNation out of Virginia has a 2004 350 Z that is super loud and super fast. I believe they are working on a roll cage and making it official tissue!

It will be less "super fast" when it's prepped for SpecZ, as most of the go-fast goodies will have to be removed, tire brand changed, big brake kit removed, suspension and diff changed, etc., etc.

Edited by Guest

in a Drag Race, a HR beats a DE everyday

Well 3250 with a full tank is 3150 with a quarter tank... That sounds like its pretty close to me.

Why do guys feel the later cars will be faster? They may put down a faster lap time... but my experience tells me a heavier car will have less tire and brake at the end of the race. Will the newer cars be better TT cars... yes. But IMO in a race and especially in an enduro the lighter car will be the car to have.

My 03' is fully Spec, and currently 2970# with low gas and no driver. I still have a regularly-size battery and a passenger seat. Driver's weight is on the upswing and approaching 170# though, so my race rig is about 40# heavy. If everyone had to add weight, that'd be easy as well, but I expect to finish the race close to 3120# in the near future, and don't want to push it much lower than that just in case.

All years are spec'd to a 12:1 weight-to-power ratio. The differences then being hp/tq curve, peak tq, and rev-limit.

It will be less "super fast" when it's prepped for SpecZ, as most of the go-fast goodies will have to be removed, tire brand changed, big brake kit removed, suspension and diff changed, etc., etc.

Raced the "greenZ" this weekend, and weighed 3133 post-race. Not bad, but still have some work to do.

• 5 months later...

New weight rules:

This includes brake components and exterior body panels.

Year Make Model Motor Note Weight (lb)

03-04 Nissan 350Z VQ35DE Engine must be intake only variable timing controlled 3175

05-06 Nissan 350Z VQ35DE Engine must be intake and exhaust variable timing controlled 3250

07-08 Nissan 350Z VQ35HR Any dual Throttle Body engine’ed car must run as 07-08 3400

I was ~3250 lbs w/Driver after a sprint race last year...and I start with a full tank of Petrol...

Made some changes this year but doubt that the weight changed much...I will know in a few weeks

And my try to start a race with less gas to see if that saves me some LBS. However need to fix my gas gauge as it either shows full or 1/3 tank...

I was ~3250 lbs w/Driver after a sprint race last year...and I start with a full tank of Petrol...

Made some changes this year but doubt that the weight changed much...I will know in a few weeks

And my try to start a race with less gas to see if that saves me some LBS. However need to fix my gas gauge as it either shows full or 1/3 tank...

Haha. My gauge always shows empty with the light on. My Z is right at 2950 with no driver and low fuel. Adding my ~165# frame puts me at 3115, so I'll be able to 'ballast' with an extra ~60# of fuel. That's about 9 gallons leftover after a race, leaving me to burn 11. I wonder if I fill before the qual, then don't touch it until after the race, if that will put me in the ballpark. I'll have to try that next month. . . or eat more hamburgers (bad place for ballast!).

• 1 month later...

I agree.