TrackRat

Enduro at Sebring - Oct 6

TrackRat

Enduro (noun): a long race for automobiles stressing endurance rather than speed. Well, you better scratch that last part - especially if you're running with the FL region at Sebring International Raceway on October 6th! That's right folks, NASA FL Region is running a 2 hour endurance race as part of it's October event at the world famous Sebring International Raceway. Think "Twelve Hours of Sebring", just minus 10 hours. 30 minute sprint just not long enough for you? Come drive for 2 hours! Enjoy those quick driver changes in the pits? Here is your opportunity to show off those skills in the heat of battle.

We will be using the full 3.7 mile, 17 turn, 12 hour course. The race will be from 5 to 7 PM and will be running into the sunset. Since this is the last event for the year for the FL Region, this is going to be a fun race using normal sprint racing classes. The results from the sprint races will be used as qualifying for the enduro. During the 2 hour race, there will be one mandatory 5 minute pit stop required for all cars. The cost of the race is just $199 for all cars registered for the sprint race. Immediately after the race, we will be having a social event and awards ceremony.

For more information, please visit the NASA FL Region website at: www.drivenasafl.com or post your questions in this thread. Sebring in October, it doesn't get much better than that! Hope to see you there.

TrackRat

Enduro prize announcement! The class winner of the biggest class in the enduro will win a Go Pro HD HERO2 Motorsports Edition, compliments of Jimmy and Performance Tread! Which ever class has the biggest field during the enduro will be eligible for this prize. So, better recruit people in your group to build those field sizes up!

1_683x426_Moto_PKG_MAIN.jpg

Be sure to support these guys and check out their website:

ptreadsmall.jpg

Balroks

Specifics/Rules/First-Go discussion.

Ok so most of us know there is a separate CCR for Enduro's. I'm not sure if you've finalized it yet but what EXACTLY will the officials be looking for from their usual "sprint" racers during this first round, whom never been in one. Such as are we following every single rule or are we relaxing XYZ because of classing (because there's tons of exceptions) etc. Basically a friendly "Ok so read the Enduro rules, but here is a bullet point list of what you'll need to be prepared to bring/do for this event that's different from your usual races that NASA FL officials will be looking out for. The following will be exempt for this event" Specifically looking at the rq'ing 2 people during refueling, "perm" marking "crew" helmets, etc that people can start preparing for.

TrackRat
Specifics/Rules/First-Go discussion.

Ok so most of us know there is a separate CCR for Enduro's. I'm not sure if you've finalized it yet but what EXACTLY will the officials be looking for from their usual "sprint" racers during this first round, whom never been in one. Such as are we following every single rule or are we relaxing XYZ because of classing (because there's tons of exceptions) etc. Basically a friendly "Ok so read the Enduro rules, but here is a bullet point list of what you'll need to be prepared to bring/do for this event that's different from your usual races that NASA FL officials will be looking out for. The following will be exempt for this event" Specifically looking at the rq'ing 2 people during refueling, "perm" marking "crew" helmets, etc that people can start preparing for.

We can start compiling a list, but in short for now, we will be following the normal sprint class rules for tech/cars. If you run PT, then PT rules apply. Run in SM, then your car needs to meet SM rules. We will be following those rules for this FUN event instead of the Enduro rules. Next year we plan to run more and will be following the Enduro handbook.

The only rule so far is that there will be MANDATORY 5 min pit stop during the 2 hr race. During this time you can swap drivers if you like, fuel up, read the latest Speed News article or do yoga. But all drivers will be required to come in for 5 mins at some point during the 2 hr race.

Details on crew attire etc will be coming out soon!

TurboShortBus
The only rule so far is that there will be MANDATORY 5 min pit stop during the 2 hr race. During this time you can swap drivers if you like, fuel up, read the latest Speed News article or do yoga. But all drivers will be required to come in for 5 mins at some point during the 2 hr race.
Is this allowed during a full-course caution? I crewed for another group that requires the mandatory 5-minute stop to occur during green flag conditions. It's just something else to consider/clarify.

Details on crew attire etc will be coming out soon!
Whaaaaaaaat, you can't have somebody over the wall, refueling a car, in shorts and T-shirt? That's just nuts...

Mark

TurboShortBus

Other pit stop rules to consider, as used in other NASA regions for 3-hour enduros (from what I recall of crewing during them):

1. Open fueling (can-to-funnel) not permitted. Fuel cans must have a hose, etc. that goes into the car's filler neck.

2. Fuel spills not permitted (bring your own metal drip trays).

3. 2 crew members required during fueling: 1 to fuel, 1 to stand at the ready with a fire extinguisher. Both in fire suits, helmets, etc.

4. Turn engine off during fueling and/or driver change.

Mark

John A - 5x Racing

I think the biggest "rule" that is going to be in effect is the "miata" rule, which is they are going to rule the field with exceptional fuel mileage. 2 hours might make some cars need to stop twice. Especially Mustangs!!

wpbcobra

My mustang should be able to to go almost hour and half. I got a 21 gal fuel cell

Balroks

I'll be lucky if I last a half hour

obzezzed350

The shop is putting together a Spec Z for this event, probably going to co-drive that with Ramin or Rog

John A - 5x Racing
My mustang should be able to to go almost hour and half. I got a 21 gal fuel cell

Cheater

TrackRat

There have been a few questions on lights and lighting for the enduo. The race is scheduled to start at 5 and go to 7 PM. Sunset on Oct 6th at Sebring will be 7:07 PM. Lighting should not be an issue for this enduro. No 5 megawatt plasma induced light bars needed (you know who you are...).

You will want to consider a tinted visor for racing into the sunset.

Don't forget the winner of the biggest class will get a GoPro camera setup compliments of Performance Tread!

wpbcobra

question about fueling. Will we be able to use 5 gallon gas containers that would be used around the house. I see in the rules they can be used on a case basis

TrackRat
question about fueling. Will we be able to use 5 gallon gas containers that would be used around the house. I see in the rules they can be used on a case basis

Regular cans will be fine, as will VP/Scribbs jugs. The Hunsaker and other fast-flow types will not be allowed per the NASA regulations. I will get more details up later today.

BigKeyserSoze

I'm registered. Please confirm that my flow-fast hand cranker jugs will be allowed, as they have been in the past. They are way safer than dumping gas all over the place.

TrackRat

For the upcoming twilight enduro at Sebring on October 6th, these are the supplemental rules for the race. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Enduro Details and Supplemental Rules for Sebring October 6th

Details:

Twilgiht Race on October 6th from 5 to 7 PM - 2 hrs. Note, sunset is 7:07, so lights should not be needed.

These rules are supplemental to the NASA Enurance Series Racing Rules:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf

Please be sure to review those rules prior to the event. These supplemental rules supersede the Enduro Rules.

Sebring Supplemental Rules

1) Drivers may use a co-driver or run the race solo. This is up to the car owner.

2) Normal NASA car classes will be used instead of the enduro classes.

3) There will be 1 required 5 minute pit stop. During this 5 minutes, cars can be refueled and worked on. Drivers may be swapped as well.

4) Starting order will be determined by the race results from the Sprint races earlier in the day.

5) Scoring, the car that completes the most number of laps in the 2 hr time will be the winner. There will be an overall winner and class winners.

6) Pit spaces will be assigned prior to the race.

7) Refueling: All refueling once the green flag has been waived, will be on pit road.

8 ) Refuelers must wear safety equipment equivalent to the driver as per the CCR (i.e. Nomex suit, gloves, shoes, and helmet) during refueling. There is no limit to the number of refuelers provided that each is donning the proper attire. All over-the-wall crewmembers in contact with any fueling device or catch pan will be considered another refueler and subject to proper attire. All refuelers with open faced helmets must wear a balaclava (head sock) while refueling whether they have any facial hair or not.

9) No work may be performed on the car while it is being fueled. The team may change drivers and/or clean windows and lights while refueling. Removing tape from lights is considered to be cleaning them.

10) During refueling, at least one crewmember must hold a fire extinguisher and be ready to put out a possible fire while other crewmember(s) refuel the car. It is recommended that the person holding the fire extinguisher be wearing the same safety equipment as the refueler, but it is not required.

11) ALL classes must use standard approved 5-gallon plastic gas cans with a funnel or hose to refuel, and are restricted from using quick fill

methods such as those used in NASCAR, etc. “approved standard 5-gallon plastic fuel containers” are shown in Appendix A of the NASA Endurance Series Rules.

12) For this event, standard household 5 gallon containers, commonly used for lawn and garden, are approved.

13) Once refueling is complete, other work can be performed. Full fire suits are not required. Long pants and closed toe shoes ARE required for all crew members going over the wall. The use of crew helmets is highly encouraged.

14) For all pit stops, a timing marshall will be at Pit-in and Pit-out. All drivers are required to stop at Pit-in to see the marshall. The marshall at Pit-in will place a timer on your car set for 5 minutes. You may then proceed to your pit stall. No cars will be allowed to leave before the timer has expired. At Pit-out, the marshall will check and remove the timer. If you go to pit-out before the timer has expired you will be held there until the time has elapsed.

15) Any driver failing to stop at Pit-out prior to entering the hot track will be black flagged and given a 5 minute penalty, held on pit road.

Thanks - see everyone at Sebring!

Edited by Guest

donstevens

Pit Road speed?

Definition of pit road. Specifically, pit road speed monitored between crossover bridges?

Don

TrackRat
Pit Road speed?

Definition of pit road. Specifically, pit road speed monitored between crossover bridges?

Don

Pit road speed is ~35 MPH - typically around 2000 RPM in second gear

You driving Don?

Balroks
For the upcoming twilight enduro at Sebring on October 6th, these are the supplemental rules for the race. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Enduro Details and Supplemental Rules for Sebring October 6th

Details:

Twilgiht Race on October 6th from 5 to 7 PM - 2 hrs. Note, sunset is 7:07, so lights should not be needed.

These rules are supplemental to the NASA Enurance Series Racing Rules:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf

Please be sure to review those rules prior to the event. These supplemental rules supersede the Enduro Rules.

Sebring Supplemental Rules

1) Drivers may use a co-driver or run the race solo. This is up to the car owner.

2) Normal NASA car classes will be used instead of the enduro classes.

3) There will be 1 required 5 minute pit stop. During this 5 minutes, cars can be refueled and worked on. Drivers may be swapped as well.

4) Starting order will be determined by the race results from the Sprint races earlier in the day.

5) Scoring, the car that completes the most number of laps in the 2 hr time will be the winner. There will be an overall winner and class winners.

6) Pit spaces will be assigned prior to the race.

7) Refueling: All refueling once the green flag has been waived, will be on pit road.

8 ) Refuelers must wear safety equipment equivalent to the driver as per the CCR (i.e. Nomex suit, gloves, shoes, and helmet) during refueling. There is no limit to the number of refuelers provided that each is donning the proper attire. All over-the-wall crewmembers in contact with any fueling device or catch pan will be considered another refueler and subject to proper attire. All refuelers with open faced helmets must wear a balaclava (head sock) while refueling whether they have any facial hair or not.

9) No work may be performed on the car while it is being fueled. The team may change drivers and/or clean windows and lights while refueling. Removing tape from lights is considered to be cleaning them.

10) During refueling, at least one crewmember must hold a fire extinguisher and be ready to put out a possible fire while other crewmember(s) refuel the car. It is recommended that the person holding the fire extinguisher be wearing the same safety equipment as the refueler, but it is not required.

11) ALL classes must use standard approved 5-gallon plastic gas cans with a funnel or hose to refuel, and are restricted from using quick fill

methods such as those used in NASCAR, etc. “approved standard 5-gallon plastic fuel containers” are shown in Appendix A of the NASA Endurance Series Rules.

12) For this event, standard household 5 gallon containers, commonly used for lawn and garden, are approved.

13) Once refueling is complete, other work can be performed. Full fire suits are not required. Long pants and closed toe shoes ARE required for all crew members going over the wall. The use of crew helmets is highly encouraged.

14) For all pit stops, a timing marshall will be at Pit-in and Pit-out. All drivers are required to stop at Pit-in to see the marshall. The marshall at Pit-in will place a timer on your car set for 5 minutes. You may then proceed to your pit stall. No cars will be allowed to leave before the timer has expired. At Pit-out, the marshall will check and remove the timer. If you go to pit-out before the timer has expired you will be held there until the time has elapsed.

15) Any driver failing to stop at Pit-out prior to entering the hot track will be black flagged and given a 5 minute penalty, held on pit road.

Thanks - see everyone at Sebring!

Shawn,

It's a little late state the requirement for attire, specifically the suits, we asked months ago if this was going to be required and heard nothing but crickets, so I can't exactly have the old man go find a firesuit at this time, helmet/shoes ok because he's a DE'r. I understand they're normal ongoing and it's cool, but for this 'test' enduro it was stated to be decided upon way earlier is all. The fire extinguisher, pan, all the stuff you can get at home depot/walmart all day long, unless i want to get out every pitstop or manage to find someone willing to refuel me every 15 laps i'll have to pass.

matt325

Shawn,

It's a little late state the requirement for attire, specifically the suits, we asked months ago if this was going to be required and heard nothing but crickets, so I can't exactly have the old man go find a firesuit at this time, helmet/shoes ok because he's a DE'r. I understand they're normal ongoing and it's cool, but for this 'test' enduro it was stated to be decided upon way earlier is all. The fire extinguisher, pan, all the stuff you can get at home depot/walmart all day long, unless i want to get out every pitstop or manage to find someone willing to refuel me every 15 laps i'll have to pass.

will refuel for beer????

with all the racers this weekend, should not be too hard to find a sprint racer who is not running the enduro willing to help out. Worth asking at the racer's meeting.

kartermdb

Shawn,

Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong with my car, I would be willing to help out. I'll be pitted on the concrete by back straight with red Rx7 #22 in DE3. If you need me stop on by.

Balroks

Thanks karter, however it was a foolish endevor to begin with really. If James drives straight at 2/10's in his vette he'd still beat me by 20 laps because of the awesome MPG I get lol. I'm gonna slip into the same roll, help out whomever.

getfast

Shawn,

Hey Matt, worth mentioning, that info is in the national enduro pdf which we have said all along would be the basis for our regional enduro rules. If you had a question about this specifically, you should've asked me also, because fuelers were always going to be in attire equivalent to drivers - whether Shawn agreed or not, lol. And whether we published these regional supplemental rules today or two months ago. I do apologize for the delay though, both Shawn and I have been quite busy and we needed more time than expected. Now we have these rules to start from for next year.

Oh, one time I had to stand there and be the fueler during a summer enduro after a 2 hour stint during which (as I found out later) I got carbon monoxide poisoning. That was our rule - driver gets out and helps with fueling for the next driver. Longest 3 minutes of my life standing there trying not to pass out. Suit, helmet, drenched with sweat, etc. But it's necessary gear...

Balroks

I know, I shoulda been more annoying about it earlier on because it was 'worded' like you two were considering not requiring it so that's the only reason we held back, no biggie, see ya'll in a few hours.

obzezzed350

Great race guys! Looking forward to the next one!