TrackRat

Enduro at Sebring - Oct 6

TrackRat
Great race guys! Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks Joe, thanks to everyone's efforts, it was huge success! Lessons learned for next time too!

ozal92

Heard the Enduro was a success. Great Job!

obzezzed350

Can we expect them at HMS, maybe Friday night 6-9pm under the lights?

getfast

We'll see. "Under the lights" can get expensive at a NASCAR track

TurboShortBus
We'll see. "Under the lights" can get expensive at a NASCAR track

Sebring is now a NASCAR track. No lights, though.

Mark

Balroks

Well technically:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 5, 2012) - The most significant development in the history of sports car racing in North America was announced today, with plans for a landmark merger of GRAND-AM Road Racing and the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) unveiled at Daytona International Speedway.

Under terms of the merger, the following entities will combine with GRAND-AM: the American Le Mans Series; the International Motor Sports Association, which sanctions ALMS events; the Road Atlanta race track facility in Braselton, Ga.; the Chateau Elan Hotel and Conference Center in Sebring, Fla.; and Sebring International Raceway, via a reassignment of the lease agreement with the Sebring Airport Authority to operate the raceway.

Both sanctioning bodies will continue to operate separate schedules in 2013 before racing under one banner in 2014 beginning with North America's premier sports car race, the 52nd annual Rolex 24 At Daytona. A board of directors has been formed to operate the new combined organization with GRANDAM founder Jim France as chairman and ALMS founder Don Panoz as vice chairman. Other members: NASCAR Vice Chair/Executive Vice President Lesa France Kennedy, GRAND-AM President/CEO Ed Bennett, ALMS President/CEO Scott Atherton and NASCAR Vice President/Deputy General Counsel Karen Leetzow.

getfast

Call it a merger all you want; others call it a buy-out.

A member of the Sebring staff was telling us just the other day about the changes "since NASCAR took over"

Mrsideways

As others have already said elsewhere, I wonder if this means the price of Sebring just went up.

NASA Florida BADLY needs some cheaper tracks that are still decent in the area. A CMP or Roebling Road would be ideal to bump the event count without increasing the costs much.

obzezzed350

Roebling would be cool! I am just glad we scrapped PBIR

getfast

One regional director will be hanging out with two other regional directors during a dual-region split event at VIR this weekend... and discussing things like a split event at Roebling in 2013.

TrackRat

How about a FL/SE/BMWCCA event at Daytona?

getfast

Someone could buy an entire block of Florida foreclosure houses for what Daytona costs to rent. It's a longer term goal to run there...

Mrsideways

Thats probably the only way to afford a Daytona event. Even thought it'll have a large draw, the draw will all come from lack of ability to get on and drive the track. It's really not a particularly exciting track to drive. Your first lap you say "wow, cool I'm on the banking at Daytona". Your second lap you say "geesh this is just a straight away turned on it's side with a bunch of U turns connecting the straights". At least It had some Character in faster cars when it was bumpy. The Bus stop is hands down the most exciting part of the track.... I'd love to see them use the bus stop in the Nascar race there.... can you imagine 4 wide coming into the bus stop.... YEAH!

Edited by Guest

getfast

And therein lies the rub. Bucket list track for many, let's hope it delivers. I was more scared than excited the first time I drove on the high banking at Charlotte, lol. Then again I was in a Miata and it was before softer walls existed.

Rough Daytona estimate, we'd need a three day event for 250+ cars at $500+ each just to approach the possibility of breaking even. That's much easier said than done.

Mrsideways

NASA has some cash right? Why doesn't NASA team up with a certain other central florida club that happens to have a large sum of cash set aside for a Track build, and go pave some of the hills out past clermont and build a track. Make it like roebling, just a paved track, do everything else as the basics.

TurboShortBus

Yes, it is just that easy. And cheap. Right.

Mark

Balroks

Ya lets start with the split region events, seems an "everyone" at a FL track in the spring and "everyone" at a SE track in the fall would be cool.

Mrsideways
Yes, it is just that easy. And cheap. Right.

Mark

Rumor has it this other organization has enough to get a good start, it may not be the 30 or 40 million people are spending on these country club tracks these days, but I bet it would get you pretty close to a roebling.

BlkGt3

Thats probably the only way to afford a Daytona event. Even thought it'll have a large draw, the draw will all come from lack of ability to get on and drive the track. It's really not a particularly exciting track to drive. Your first lap you say "wow, cool I'm on the banking at Daytona". Your second lap you say "geesh this is just a straight away turned on it's side with a bunch of U turns connecting the straights". At least It had some Character in faster cars when it was bumpy. The Bus stop is hands down the most exciting part of the track.... I'd love to see them use the bus stop in the Nascar race there.... can you imagine 4 wide coming into the bus stop.... YEAH!

Since Daytona has opened up to the HPDE crowd most people have gotten their fix of the Roval. People aren't signing up in droves, which you need, to experience Daytona. NASA FL desperately needs less expensive tracks ( but none are available ) and better participation in the HPDE program.

Peter

getfast

We don't "desperately" need anything. This past weekend at Sebring was the biggest event NASA FL has ever held according to many. We have been seeing consistent growth for all of 2012 which is a great thing.

Those who believe in us and our program and our well developed ladder system will find a way to be at our events. But more dates and more tracks won't necessarily make everything better. And as you know there is quite a lot more to NASA than "just HPDE"...

That said, I am a few emails away from publishing an 8 or 9 event NASA FL 2013 schedule. Onward and upward

Mrsideways

Jon, I think what Pete was saying was that you would desperately need a large turn out IF you rented Daytona.... as would any club. Just to cover the costs of the place.

And Florida in general could use some cheaper more fun tracks. Homestead and Daytona are typical rovals with U-turns connecting straights. Sebring is fun but flat, Starke isn't (or wasn't last time I looked) ready for prime time. PBIR was designed by a guy with a protractor and isn't exactly fun. Jennings is for motorcycles.

Balroks

Least we got more then 1 though, there are areas/regions where you have to travel STATES away to get to just 1. But ya maybe oneday for Daytona, like when Nats are on the west side or something, have that 8hr enduro

obzezzed350
Least we got more then 1 though, there are areas/regions where you have to travel STATES away to get to just 1. But ya maybe oneday for Daytona, like when Nats are on the west side or something, have that 8hr enduro

Matt, better buy one of these if you want an 8 hour enduro

Fuel_Tanker_1.jpg

Balroks

Matt, better buy one of these if you want an 8 hour enduro

Fuel_Tanker_1.jpg

I asked for the fastest one but they're on backorder, so i'll just ride with you in the spec Z

obzezzed350

Spec Z #1 is already rented up for next year! Ramin fell in love with it. I should get a few races in it though, and in the enduros! They should be building a second one soon though