first HPDE, comments and suggestions

ttb

did my first HPDE today at thunderhill...

first, want to thank my instructor John...if you're on the board reading this thanks for the instructions, tips, and the ride in your car (i'm the one with the rx-7). or if anybody sees him, tell him i said "thanks"

definite eye opener. realize how much i need to learn.

i have one question...why don't we stagger the starts? seems like everybody gets on the track at the same time...can't we separate each car by like 30 seconds? that way maybe a group won't get bunch together. this was my only complaint for the day...there were a small minority of drivers that weren't very courtesy. they're like those tail gaters that think they own the road. maybe this could be avoided by some time of stagger start??? i'm sure there's a good reason this isn't done....

HPDE 1 and 2 sessions tend to have that "freight train" effect. When I'm instructing and we get behind a big bunch of cars, I'll have the student roll thru the pits slowly and let the pack of cars get a few turns ahead of us. If the frieght training is persistant, I'll sometime make a trip to the classroom session and ask the classroom instructor to stress checking mirrors and point bys. You will also get better at dealing with it as you get more seat time. Do get frustrated, even if you are slowed by traffic, you can still work on the line, driving technique, braking points, etc...

I noticed that too with the HPDE 1 and 2.... but once you get to group 3 you will get a lot more open track, and really start to learn how to drive fast...

I did my first group 3 drive this weekend.. all i have to say is AWESOME.. everyone on and off the track was super friendly.. you could tell everyone wanted to learn and was very friendly on the track... a great envorment to learn how to drive fast on the tack...

I didn't mind the freight training effect that much, it gave me a chance to just really work on my lines, the only problem is that with that freight traing that we had this weekend it maid me nervouse to be in the middle of two drivers who were trying to learn the lines and just wanted to push on the excellerator. There were a couple of times when I was inbetween two cars that got a little side ways in turns. But that is just part of the game I guess. However I did get signed off so next time I will be in HPDE 3 so that will be good.

• 4 weeks later...
i have one question...why don't we stagger the starts? seems like everybody gets on the track at the same time...

Ah, this is the great school-of-fish/mob mentality at work. You are always free to wait until the big pack goes out and then head out on the track. Or, if you get caught in a big back, pull into the hotpits and ask the starter to space you out some more.

Or get to the grid early (without being too early which can upset the grid marshal) to guarantee you get out before the train.

Christine

(edit: can't say p i s s o f f )