American Iron Dashboard Poll

tacovini

Which Non-S197 Mustang driver has the nicest dashboard design?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Non-S197 Mustang driver has the nicest dashboard design?

• Wehmeyer, Patrick 1990 Ford Mustang Red
    • Thomas, Jim 1990 Ford Mustang White/yellow
    • Wanstreet, Leo 1989 Ford Mustang Blue
    • Watson, Albert 1993 Ford Mustang red
    • Bain, Tj 1985 Pontiac Firebird White
    • Ball, Landon 1991 Chevrolet Camaro Red
    • Stukas, Will 1993 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Black

NICE

adj., nic·er, nic·est.

1.Pleasing and agreeable in nature: had a nice time at the National Championships.

2.Having a pleasant or attractive appearance: a nice shirt; a nice face. (see Todd)

3.Exhibiting courtesy and politeness: a nice gesture. (see Todd again)

4.Of good character and reputation; respectable, non-junky looking, serious in nature, professional

5.Overdelicate or fastidious; fussy, very detailed in nature, well constructed, ergonomically correct, well engineered.

6.Showing or requiring great precision or discernment; subtle: a nice distinction; a nice sense of style, ergonomically correct

7.Done with delicacy and skill: a nice bit of craft.

Be Nice.

NICE

adj., nic·er, nic·est.

1.Pleasing and agreeable in nature: had a nice time at the National Championships.

2.Having a pleasant or attractive appearance: a nice shirt; a nice face. (see Todd)

3.Exhibiting courtesy and politeness: a nice gesture. (see Todd again)

4.Of good character and reputation; respectable, non-junky looking, serious in nature, professional

5.Overdelicate or fastidious; fussy, very detailed in nature, well constructed, ergonomically correct, well engineered.

6.Showing or requiring great precision or discernment; subtle: a nice distinction; a nice sense of style, ergonomically correct

7.Done with delicacy and skill: a nice bit of craft.

Be Nice.

The rule isn't really clear this is the goal of the rule. Just saying.

The pole ends before ends before the event starts. How am I supposed to see the candidates to know who I want to vote for...

Richard P.

I will extend the poll until Monday morning after spectators are able to properly assess said "nice" dashes. It may help the non-spectators if you can post pictures to help the voters.

(This is getting fun!)

I will extend the poll until Monday morning

Thanks. It's important that I vote for the most minimalist/hideous dash. Any opportunity to emphasize how dumb the dash rule is can't be wasted...

Richard P.

It's important that I vote for the most minimalist/hideous dash.

Given Todd's definition, I'm out. Using Richard's criteria, I moved straight to the top. Can total cost be a criteria. If I count the pieces of gorilla tape, I think I'm under $10.

I have to put some finishing touches on mine this weekend. I'll put some pics up on our team Facebook page to assist the non-attending populace.

j

• Members

It's amazing that with the help of a little alcohol you can make a crap brown 74 AMC Pacer dash look right at home in a Fox Body. Thank you Todd for this rule. Now I know what my car has always needed to be complete

And the funny thing is what I was told was we didn't want our interiors looking like something from the "24 hours of Lemons" (no dog on their series... it's awesome)...

At the end of this, we would probably prefer what's in normal Lemons cars.

Looks like I won. What's the prize? Brand new S197????

Is the award for dashes AT nationals or IN nationals? Besides, yours was way too professional looking.

Even TJ's looked like it was really made for it..

Nothing says trashy "nice" like plastic gutter and some stickers. So, I WIN!

j

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this wont pass the test either... How many my little ponies will it take to pass?

That's a very nice and professional looking AIX dash. It would have been a very nice and professional looking AI dash if Todd hadn't stuck his nose in a place it didn't belong...

Richard P.

How many my little ponies will it take to pass?

Kyle,

That looks great. All it needs is some plastic gutter (10ft for $4.66) and some "classy" stickers and it will look like a real "professional" race car that won't intimidate new people from getting into our sport.

j

What's the rationale for the dashboard rule?

I've never heard an "official" reason, but here's the rumors, speculation and 3rd hand explanations I've heard along with my comments regarding each.

1. Because GrandAm has them- We're not GrandAm. Despite my car owner being able to afford to run a GrandAm team, this is amateur racing with mostly amateur budgets. We don't have full teams of mechanics that can make a full blown racecar look like it came from the factory with a cage and fancy seat. We also don't have big sponsorships from a manufacturer that has an interest in the car looking like something on the street.

2. It looks 'nicer' when spectators look in our car. Really? I just got back from nationals, our biggest event this season. Not sure about anyone else, but I didn't see hoards of spectators checking out the cars up close

3. Having a fully custom dash might intimidate someone interested in joining our class, thinking they had to have mad fabrication skill to compete. First, you need to have some reasonable skill to keep an AI car running for a whole season (unless you have a very big check book). If fabing up a basic panel to put some switches and gauges on seems so intimidating that you are reconsidering racing in AI, perhaps you should reconsider

4. Hmmm I think that's all the reasonable, or at least not mean, ones.

Anyone else heard any more?

The one rationale I haven't heard? Because it servers a specific function, increases parity or improves safety. Those are really the only things a dash specific rule should accomplish.

j