ST3 Re-visited

Greg G.

2:05 is slower than the TTA record at VIR, let alone into ST2 range.

2:01 at WGI is 2sec faster than the ST2 record.

Are you referring to John George? I thought he was in some Caterham-type creation this past weekend (which I assume is where the 2:01 came from).

DSC_0026_1024x681.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• kbrew8991

• Greg G.

• sperkins

no st2 car including danny's could keep up....unless, say....lewis hamilton or jeff gordon were driving it.

Do you not know that Lewis Hamilton wears RAFT pajamas?

with TTS and TTA being the two largest classes in my region's TT field (PT is really only popular for PTF, PTD, PTC and then a big skip to ST2) with that simple fact alone I feel strongly that there are no changes that should be or need to be done to the classes.

Yes, they're both at the same hp/weight cap but the openness / "mad scientist" / just meet the hp-weight formula aspects of TTS/ST2 as compared to the "mind your points" / "don't mod much" / "just drive fast" aspects of TTA/PTA separate the two classes in speed, apperance, mindsets, and drivers that enjoy competing in each. Changing TTA/PTA to an ST-like class with a different ratio and also rasing the ratio for TTS/ST2 would upset the large number of current competitors and I don't see the the benifit in doing that nor do I know of an untapped market those changes would serve.

In short - it's not broken so don't fix it.

Agreed. We regularly have large TTA and TTS fields, and the prep levels are very different. What is broken?

Agreed. We regularly have large TTA and TTS fields, and the prep levels are very different. What is broken?

'affordable care act' implementation process.

'affordable care act' implementation process.

We have to pass it to see what's really in it.

Or change everything, spend 3 years and thousands of dollars continuing to build cars and trying different combinations on cars that were for most part already fully developed, just to find out what loophole someone found to exploit that makes something "unfair" and then start all over again.

"NASA Performance Touring A"

Without exception, the single best way i have found to throw $37,000 in the trash to date!!!

Jason was smarter than us and sold his car while it still had a class to claim. I am thinking my stickers for 2013 will state "DE3" if they state anything at all for NASA.

-Kevin

dont jump too far. nasa se had so few running st2 that you could have your pta race in st2.

meanwhile scca is facing a turning point with t1. keep an eye on them. for me, once ive raced

de is just too tame to enjoy.

dont jump too far. nasa se had so few running st2 that you could have your pta race in st2.

More classes is not the answer to that.

Break up AI, GTS, and Speceverybodygetsatrophy and ST2 will flourish. Or is ST2 intended to be the catch all of cars that just weren't built correctly to fit in any other class, and low ST2 fields just means people are building cars to fit specific rule sets to (relatively) reduce costs?

its been said before. give ai tires and a little hp to weight, settle gts 3 and 4 into a single performance class that matches up with the new ai specs and then add st2. all that together would be some breathtaking racing.

all that together would be some breathtaking racing.

I don't know about breathtaking...

Kinda reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where that one guy said breathtaking to pretty much everything...

You guys have some funny logic - break up other classes that are growing and doing great to prop up a serious that is struggling?

I've seen GTS3 races with 10+ cars on relatively regular basis. GTS4 used to see 6-7 consistently and we're getting back there. AI is getting 7-10 cars.

So, why don't we pi$$ off a whole big bunch of people who are building their cars and racing, having fun to try and save a series that can't seem to find a direction? Maybe the issue is elsewhere...

You guys have some funny logic - break up other classes that are growing and doing great to prop up a serious that is struggling?

I've seen GTS3 races with 10+ cars on relatively regular basis. GTS4 used to see 6-7 consistently and we're getting back there. AI is getting 7-10 cars.

So, why don't we pi$$ off a whole big bunch of people who are building their cars and racing, having fun to try and save a series that can't seem to find a direction? Maybe the issue is elsewhere...

i think the point is that gts3-4 and ai and st2 all run lap times in the same general bracket. we all race together but we dont. there's nothing like having a 3 car dogfight in a different class between you are the next guy in your class.

an 8 car class is great, but wouldnt a 25 car race be great?

what about driving a bmw means you dont want to also race the mustang or the corvette? just askin'

i think the point is that gts3-4 and ai and st2 all run lap times in the same general bracket. we all race together but we dont. there's nothing like having a 3 car dogfight in a different class between you are the next guy in your class.

an 8 car class is great, but wouldnt a 25 car race be great?

what about driving a bmw means you dont want to also race the mustang or the corvette? just askin'

Rob - quite the opposite. I'd run ST2 with my friends and even tried to build an all out ST2 car only to be hit by the "latest" round of rule changes. So I changed plans and built a car for GTS, because the rules haven't changed in awhile and I'm hoping that trend continues (our director certainly seems keen on maintaining it).

Fact of the matter is - Corvette is an overdog in just about any class it runs in. Therefore you need some equalizing to bring other cars to the same level of competition. Because of this other cars that have an option to do something else often elect to do that.

In this situation it seems some type of a competition adjustment (weight, tires, power ratio - you name it) would have been enough. Instead all the classes are getting reshuffled and a bunch of people are very upset about it.

Let c5s run in AI then. All we have is ST.

Brian - maybe take it up with AI leadership. One would think a Corvette is definitely American Iron/Fiberglass Maybe with some kind of a power adjustment you guys could run with them.

Let c5s run in AI then. All we have is ST.

Brian - maybe take it up with AI leadership. One would think a Corvette is definitely American Iron/Fiberglass Maybe with some kind of a power adjustment you guys could run with them.

I made a post about it and it was largely ignored. They told me to go run CMC if I wanted "cheap" racing. I told them pushrods and leafsprings have to count for something.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new here and trying to decide where to race. For what it is worth, in the eyes of someone with no preconceptions, the ST and GTS and AI classes seem like they should all be mixed together into two classes. If you go to a Chin Motorsports or other non-club DE event, just walk through the paddock and try to class each car as if they would run in NASA. Then look at mylaps times in Mid-Atlantic and what previous posters have observed is correct - car counts are so low in most classes that I don't really know where to run.

I am new here and trying to decide where to race. For what it is worth, in the eyes of someone with no preconceptions, the ST and GTS and AI classes seem like they should all be mixed together into two classes. If you go to a Chin Motorsports or other non-club DE event, just walk through the paddock and try to class each car as if they would run in NASA. Then look at mylaps times in Mid-Atlantic and what previous posters have observed is correct - car counts are so low in most classes that I don't really know where to run.

Do you have a car already?