WOW....Again poor SpeedcastTv coverage of Group F!

Rob S.

Zero coverage for Group F on Sunday, which included the best session of the event. And zero mention of specific sponsors for any vehicle during the covered session on Sat. Could account for the dropping TT car counts at the Championships. Very disappointing after all the promises!

Edited by Guest

No mention of sponsors on any of our races (Group I - SU/STR/PTA) either.

I will say, they kept announcing Group F as the "slower Time Trial classes" over the track PA system. That is pretty bad to state over and over and over. They should have had a better description than that in the future.

This was the first year I've had the chance to watch the Speedcast stuff and did feel they did an "ok" job explaning the classes and competition format for the sessions that were between the championship races (I had other stuff to do and turned it off after the Sat races tho). Didn't notice much talk about many drivers in particular so thus no real chances to plug sponsors. But I didn't hear any sponsors get plugged for any of the racers either so...?

Time Trials is a tougher one to cover, but could be easier with a bit more technology updating to scroll everyone's current best laptime instead of the "oops, we have this set on race mode" thing they were doing initially and then just everyone's best laptime from just that session which was a little bit better at least.

I filled out my driver profile info with the link Will sent out right away. Plus we were reminded at the TT meetings for the people that hadn't filled out profiles to do so for the coverage on Sat and Sun. Then no mention on Sat and zero coverage on Sun for Group F.

I don't know how viable of an option it would be for next year but if they could integrate in-car footage during coverage of a TT session that would really up the ante. Obviously trying to do it live would be a huge undertaking and challenge. However, I think it could really show what being on a 10/10ths flyer is like. For instance (NASA AZ plug), Tage driving the National Championship winning TTR Radical for Team Arizona Pain would be a killer lap to showcase during a session.

As much as I agree, and don't like it too, it's just like bracket racing for NHRA... Not cool enough to cover properly.

I agree but promises were made to provide better SpeedcastTv coverage for TT. The coverge for Sunday started just before the open ceremonies for the first race group, which was after both of the Group F sessions. So no intention of covering any of the Group F sessions on Sunday....obviously wasn't on the coverage schedule.

I don't know how viable of an option it would be for next year but if they could integrate in-car footage during coverage of a TT session that would really up the ante. Obviously trying to do it live would be a huge undertaking and challenge. However, I think it could really show what being on a 10/10ths flyer is like. For instance (NASA AZ plug), Tage driving the National Championship winning TTR Radical for Team Arizona Pain would be a killer lap to showcase during a session.

I totally agree......NASA even said they have some ideas to make the coverage better for 2012. Nope it was the exact same.....no coverage at all for TTB-E on Sunday.

Sponsors care about the exposure during National events.....not so much about regional. It's hard enough to get sponsorship these days but when there's not even any mention of Sponsors during the one aired session on Sat and Group F gets zero coverage on Sun, it makes it even harder. Maybe the TT count has continully dropped because it's not treated as an equal to the race groups and drivers/sponsors have taken notice.

I too am quite disappointed with the lack of coverage on Sunday. I couldn't wait to get home to watch the final group B session on speedcast, because half the field set best laps of the weekend that session. But the coverage only starts from right before the first race, so no TTB-F coverge on Sunday...what's going on NASA? Wasn't this one of the things that was promised to be fixed this year? What, the camera guys can't get up before 9am?

I thought the overall coverage was great. 40 some classes all mixed up is not an easy event to manage. The driver profile was a cool idea and I know they used what they could. There were more cameras, better angles, panning etc. than I remember in the past. This was a $500ish entry for a one time shot. The entry level pro races have tons of regulars so knowing the drivers, sponsors etc. is much easier and they have a much bigger budget. I get the TT concept and understand the frustrations, but the audiance wants to see the battles and action and they can only cover so much...

So for me, I was only mentioned in the run down of positions I think and it seemed they panned away as soon as I entered the picture...and I won a National Championship race. I get it, the best multicar battle was up front in the higher classes and they focused there. Still was very cool to be a part o the production, plus I think they overlay audio and make corrections later.

Each year the coverage has improved and the blog or tweets or whatever it was called under the live stream was awesome. 250+ people chatting away. I loved the use of the Chromed Horn the best!

Perhaps we should have a Pay to Play format for more detailed coverage........

I agree John.......the race groups cost should be increased and the TT cost should stay the same since apparently TT isn't going to get any coverage. If the costs are going to stay the same than both should get equal coverage.

Edited by Guest

I'm just joking with you John. However my pt is if NASA isn't careful, sooner than later there isn't going to be enough TT cars to fill the classes.

I agree with John in that the coverage keeps getting better every year. Coming from the grassroots ladder like alot of people on here, I also understand the importance of coverage for sponsors. That being said, the coverage also needs to be exciting for the viewers who are unable to attend. I have been fortunate enough to compete with the pro's this season where even the chance to get coverage costs the driver/team money. Take World Challenge for example, every car is required to run a mandated video/data system in which each team must buy, does this guarentee your footage making the tv show, nope, not unless it makes for a good show for the viewers. Like I said, I am still a club racer who sometimes gets to play with the "big guys", but we must all understand that at the end of the day, our sanctioning body is trying to put together the best show for our fans, friends, while trying to gain new viewers/competitors to the sport we all love. I personally often remind myself the sole reason we all run around race tracks around the country......because we all started racing because it is what we hav

e a passion for, not to be famous.

I agree the coverage for the race groups has gotten better. The intent of this thread is to figure out why it was promised the coverage for the TT groups would also improve from the none existent coverage last yr.

The title should include "TT" so it is clearer.

Edited by Guest

With only 16 people in Group F TT session this year showing on the Final results, it really doesn't surprise me that there wasn't that much coverage. The August Regional MidO event had a huge turnout in TT making Nats look like a startup regional event for Group J in comparison.

But TT participation overall was pretty disappointing this year. It makes me wonder how many people did not supersize because of the $100 cost increase?

There was plenty of supersizing to additional race groups this year but simply not as much in TT.

Last year TT coverage was promised and it was pathetic; this lead to promises of improvements for 2012. Once again - it was pathetic.

I have no idea why car counts were down for TT but this does not help. I was hoping to use the 2012 coverage to help convince one of my sponsors to get the car out to Miller next year. Now that's not going to happen.

- Mark

Miller really isn't even feasible for us ( 6 hour tow one way vs. a 2 day tow one way makes it a much more expensive venue to contemplate) But it looks like Miller is very well received from the west coast folks so I would hope attendance reflects that too and I will be watching speedcast remotely next year most likely!

But TT participation overall was pretty disappointing this year. It makes me wonder how many people did not supersize because of the $100 cost increase?

There was plenty of supersizing to additional race groups this year but simply not as much in TT.

That $100 is in addition to the 5 regional TT registration fees. For racing you need 5 events (of which 2 can be from TT) and can run as many race groups as you want. To race "and" TT you need to have 'at least' 3 race events 'and' 5 TT events.

NASA is getting their clocks cleaned on media and there is no excuse for it, especially at a national event. It takes a handful of people and some go pro's to put something together. Daily updates would have been great - there is a lot of interesting stuff going on and you guys are ignoring it by only relying on the limited live coverage, live timing and a bare posting of the results. If you want people to be interested and involved enough to participate or sponsors to write checks, you need to generate excitement. Putting go pros on all the cars and having some people talk to the participants would allow you to put together a recap show that is way better than live coverage as live coverage cannot cover the numerous position battles occurring simultaneously. Not to mention that live coverage is really hard to do properly, even with a generous budget.

In the future, you should setup some email address/twitter account for the racers in each group to send some brief updates, goals, issues etc. so the announcers have some info to use for color/recap show. Being in the paddock, you pick up all kinds of info that makes the races more exciting to watch. Getting this info to the announcers, along with sponsor info, would make their jobs easier and make everyone happy, I think.

That $100 is in addition to the 5 regional TT registration fees. For racing you need 5 events (of which 2 can be from TT) and can run as many race groups as you want. To race "and" TT you need to have 'at least' 3 race events 'and' 5 TT events.

yes of course and we had the required 5 TT events but did not supersize and I know others made the same decision against it.

NASA is getting their clocks cleaned on media and there is no excuse for it, especially at a national event. It takes a handful of people and some go pro's to put something together. Daily updates would have been great - there is a lot of interesting stuff going on and you guys are ignoring it by only relying on the limited live coverage, live timing and a bare posting of the results. If you want people to be interested and involved enough to participate or sponsors to write checks, you need to generate excitement. Putting go pros on all the cars and having some people talk to the participants would allow you to put together a recap show that is way better than live coverage as live coverage cannot cover the numerous position battles occurring simultaneously. Not to mention that live coverage is really hard to do properly, even with a generous budget.

In the future, you should setup some email address/twitter account for the racers in each group to send some brief updates, goals, issues etc. so the announcers have some info to use for color/recap show. Being in the paddock, you pick up all kinds of info that makes the races more exciting to watch. Getting this info to the announcers, along with sponsor info, would make their jobs easier and make everyone happy, I think.

Agree. A really well put together recap would be a really nice thing to offer - even if it was only available for purchase.

With that said, I can't begin to imagine the costs involved with live streaming the events for 2 full days. I for one am thankful for and really enjoy the live streaming. Sure not everyone is going to get the spotlight that they may want, but we're talking about hundreds of competitors. It's going to be impossible to give everyone their 15min of fame.

Now I'll ruin my positive comments to say that I think the commentators have beaten the Chris Cobetto, Jonathan Meris and Dean Martin drum long enough.