Texas round 6 at ECR

Al F.

• Members

Man its been a looooong summer break, but we're just three weeks or so from our sixth race weekend of the year. ECR is a great track, with the most elevation changes in Texas, and some very cool turns. Make plans to go to Sweetie Pies Friday night for a chicken fried rib eye (not kidding, they're awesome) and hang out Saturday night for the NASA hosted party. Who's in???

You know I'll be there to try and set the infield on fire again! (hopefully not though)

I'm headed out to NOLA this weekend to check out that track in advance of November. Hopefully no hiccups with the car after having it sit nearly a year.

Cheers,

Ryan

I'm planning on being there. Not sure if my tranny is going to make it though the week end though. I'm getting a nice box of rocks tumbling sound when I'm on maintenance throttle. Goes away when I am either on the gas or brake. Either way, looking forward to another new track that Ive never been to.

I'm working on it, I've got a bit of work to do but I'm still optimistic that I'll be there.

Get the big stuff done and we can tag team some of the smaller easier things at the track. Im going to try and be at the track sometime Friday.

Eagles Canyon is having a test day on Friday. I may try to make it for that seeing as how Ive never driven the track before. Price is $150.

Also, I need to find another transmission to build and have as a spare or replace the one currently in my car. If anyone has a lead on a reasonably priced manual that would be in decent enough shape, please let me know. I already have a short 5th and LSD so I can just pull those parts out of my current transmission if I need to.

Lastly, the count should be 6. I emailed Phil #2 and he seemed to indicate he was going to be there. Apparently theres also a PCA event at Hallett so Imwold is going to Oktoberfast instead.

Kilynn,

Bring the car out, I'll lend a hand as much as possible to get that car finished and ready. I'll be at the test day Friday trying to keep my wheel from falling off again.

Jason,

If you haven't contacted BJ or Jeff at Clownshoe, they may have a transaxle lying around as a spare, or a potential part out on one sitting.

Cheers,

Ryan

I'm on it guys, thanks for all of the offers for help. I'll get the big stuff knocked out and if I'm still under the gun I'll take Friday off and see you guys at the track.

Jason, I have a spare transaxle from a low mileage 944 that I picked up as a racing spare. If you're interested PM me, I can bring it to ECR if you like.

Kilynn

Yeah, I'm working through that issue now. Its so hard to find a trans with the short 5th and LSD that it might be worth it to throw a spare in for now and then fix this one later. Its definately hard to find these things around Texas so I think the prices Im seeing are a little inflated. I have a line on two right now, one in Houston (out of an 84) and the other in Alvarado (out of an 87). The one in Houston is cheaper but a little older and neither have a short 5th or LSD.

Anyone know if the 5th gear out of a turbo trans will fit in a NA trans? The 87-88 5th gear is the same ratio as the desirable short 5th and they have a bunch of those parts down in Houston. Do we even use 5th gear at Eagles Canyon?

Hey Jason,

the fifth gear from a turbo trans is a direct swap to an NA box. It's not hard to do but i have had trouble getting the gear off the main shaft some times. Usually it will slip right off. There's a good write up on how to do it on the 944 spec forum in the tech articles section. And i'd bet we willl be in fifth at the end of the straight between turns six and seven and maybe between five and six.

Well, right now I am on hold. I had ordered some parts last Friday that would let me finish putting in my usednew gearbox but the order was saved as a quote so it never shipped. Basically Im a gasket kit away from being able to install it so I can load up and goto the track. I likely wont be able to do the track day so right now Im planning on being at the track sometime late Friday afternoon. Im still uncertain on this gearbox since I havent actually moved the car under its own power with it so can somebody bring a spare gearbox just in case? Its been offored by several people, just want to make sure somebody will have one. Hopefully I wont need it.