2013 east coast series ideas

Red Tornado

Well since nats is going west next yr a few of us have talked about starting this up again. Going to also put it out there for ST as well

Initial thoughts are

Vir, road Atlanta, midohio in summer or spring

Just 3 fun get togethers.

Any thoughts.....

I think that this idea (fewer but better) comes down to the FUNdamentals of why we all race. I know that it is different for all of us but I would offer that most of us enjoy the challenge of the drive and the comradery of our competitors. This is an expensive hobby but we have all made the commitment to make it possible. Lets be smart about how we spend our cash.

This idea is not an assault on the regions or their championships but the reality is that attending all of the races is any region is very very difficult for most of us; and most classes don’t have yearend battles. Most are survival championships.

I personally would like to have a Nationals style experience at every race I go to but that depends on the track and the competition. So to that end I would offer that we east coast (Mid West, Great Lakes, Central, Mid Atlantic, South East & North East) pony car drivers (AI, CMC, ST, etc) focus on the following events for next year, 2013.

June - Atlanta

July - VIR

Aug - Mid O

Sep------Nationals (for those who can)

Oct - Road America

The Question is………who is in?

Robin Burnett

Sounds great!!

However, I would love to do a Glen. Can we squeeze that into the schedule? If we have to drop one my vote would be Road America. As beautiful it may be in October, it's a big gamble for such a long tow with people coming from the SE or NE. This add/drop also would benefit each participating region with a home event.

With that said, I propose:

June - Atlanta

July - VIR

Aug - Mid O

Sept------Nationals (for those who can) my guess not many.

Sept - Watkins Glen

Thoughts?

I could possibly be able to bring two cars to this get together but vir and nationals are both out for me . vir is to much of a pain in the ass drive and the paddock/pitting sucks. Miller is just not worth the tow.

I'd like to see a barber and the new Atlanta motorsports park and possibly the glenn.

I guess my being in will be based upon the schedule and the tracks........

out for now...........

.... vir is to much of a pain in the ass drive and the paddock/pitting sucks. ..........

Is it because there's no direct freeway access?

that and the bs back road 150 miles for me over to the expressway in west virginia from my house. Then the mountains and then the 5 toll stops.......then the 1.5 hour back road through the hills to get to the track .

that and the bs back road 150 miles for me over to the expressway in west virginia from my house. Then the mountains and then the 5 toll stops.......then the 1.5 hour back road through the hills to get to the track .

Could be worse. You could have a 5 hour drive to Cincinnati and then all that.

Sounds like a lot of fun, but Mark and I have a commitments to Central Region events. Add in Hallett, Hastings, Topeka or the new KC road course and we'll be there.

j

vir is to much of a pain in the ass drive and the paddock/pitting sucks.

I'd like to see.....the new Atlanta motorsports park.....

obviously steve....you havent seen or heard the reports of the atlanta motorsports paddock situation.

vir is paradise compared to amp. besides neither of your cars would pass sound there.

is there a schedule that spreads the work out a little bit more? june july and august is hard on those that have family commitments.

there's a march date at sebring, road atlanta and vir.

i would consider the tour based on the viability of the schedule. but i am not a contender.

What would be great before we start voting on stuff is a list of events showing all of the regions. Then we could evaluate the options. I think everyone likes the idea of major tracks and lots of competitors but we need to weigh how close together they are. A 2 week flip for these long tows may sound great in November but a month before the race reality will set in and our field will dwindle. I'll see what I can put together based on 2012 maybe Todd can help with early '13 schedules.

Robin

bring on the ides....."fewer but bigger events"

We do this in FFR and it works out quite well. Each year Joh puts together a list of all East coast events, and then we try to do two races in each region, if not, then at least centrally located ones.

I've translated Bruce's post below.

you must come to Sebring. It's cool,
In January
the track is smooth,
As long as you're airborne
and it's close to everything
If "everything" is defined as the swamp.

But it is one of the tracks I'd like to get to eventually.

j

What do you think about the early races at VIR & Atlanta in Feb & March? Are people ready to go that early & how is the weather?

I like the idea of the Glen too but its close to the Nats, is that seen as a problem?

Just more to think about.

Robin

the weather for either early vir is touch and go. both of them had rain this year and i think one changed over to snow for the ride home. there is a march date at sebring. thats your safe early date. march at road atlanta after that, but youve been there for that date and its tornado season.

sure fire good weather. march@sebring. june@road atlanta. july@vir. august@midohio.

there is no nasa barber date. watkins glen and road america are right after the nationals.

why not do it before the nationals? take the above 4 events. two races per event. best 6 finishes for the championship. the june ra event is already become the big travel date. the july vir is the ultimate track car challenge and a big turnout. the august midohio is as good as weather gets there and a month before the nationals. if nasa fl is going to start bringing 8 ai cars as a base, they are legit and the date at sebring is prime baseball spring training weather.

Rob, I think you may be on to something.

April - Sebring

June - Atlanta

July - VIR

Aug - Mid Ohio

If people want to do Road America or The Glen after the National, then they can. What do the rest of you think? Start in the south and move north as the weather gets better. The 6 of 8 counting toward point would seem to make sense. Not sure if there will be any contingency for yearend but we can press Todd on that. Maybe all 8 would need to count, maybe depends on car count, maybe Nationals or an October race is included, maybe we do it regardless of contingency.

Robin

• Members

The last time I raced at VIR in July, it was hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch! I still like the schedule though, just don't go thinking you're gonna be in "cool" weather @ VIR in July...

Ed

i guess this means i will have to buy a set of toyos from someplace run AI.....or......

any thoughts on using this series as a chance to get some laps on the new toyo rr which is

going to be the spec tire very likely by 2014?

Bodle; Find some RA1's man! Come and play. You have had a bit to say about this idea, it must have you interested in running. Get a set to start the season, dont shave them & you are good all year, rain or shine.

Robin

BTW Ed you crack me up. Goats butt, pepper patch!