Hood venting

wlfpkrcn1

C4) Modification of the BTM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/

supercharger/intercooler/throttle body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s),

outlets, or vents +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

I would not see hood venting as costing any points. The point guideline listed above is clearly referencing a benefit to the motors intake system, which simple hood venting would be more for heat control. Unless a "ram air" set up is being made, I would not take points for it.

I would not see hood venting as costing any points. The point guideline listed above is clearly referencing a benefit to the motors intake system, which simple hood venting would be more for heat control. Unless a "ram air" set up is being made, I would not take points for it.

Thus why vent is in the rule.

you can try and argue that, but you'll get shut down or take the biggest and best +1pt mod evar.

the other venting referenced in the freebie portion of the ruleset only allows for extra air to come in and ONLY for the purposes of engine cooling....

Wow, seriously. Two posts above yours:

C4) Modification of the BTM ...hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s), outlets, or vents +1

Calm down Bill. Aren't you doing this for fun. I read the entire thread and checked the rules.

If the powers that be want us to take points for hood vents, so be it. It won't matter for me. I take the point for the intake system anyway. I just don't see what difference in lap times a simple heat extraction vent is going to make.

To bad I don't run in your division Bill. I could really ruffle your feathers. Of course if I ran faster it is probably cause I have an aftermarket hood, with hood vents.

while I agree that it does seem a little strange to have an aero mod (hood & fender vents) tacked onto a power mod (engine air intakes), it still doesn't matter much in the end - it's one point for doing one, some, or all of the things listed in that section

lift/drag reduction does matter btw

Calm down Bill. Aren't you doing this for fun. I read the entire thread and checked the rules.

If the powers that be want us to take points for hood vents, so be it. It won't matter for me. I take the point for the intake system anyway. I just don't see what difference in lap times a simple heat extraction vent is going to make. .

Calm down? And here I thought I was being helpful by removing all the extra words.

To bad I don't run in your division Bill. I could really ruffle your feathers. Of course if I ran faster it is probably cause I have an aftermarket hood, with hood vents.

I don't have a clue who you are and don't believe we've met so I don't know why you would have a problem with me, but you are more than welcome to come and compete in our region anytime. By the way, I have an aftermarket hood, with hood vents, too so you better watch out. Said this way , but with a little of this thrown in

while I agree that it does seem a little strange to have an aero mod (hood & fender vents) tacked onto a power mod (engine air intakes),
If that "hood vent" is located at the very rear edge of the hood, near the base of the windshield, then it is in a high pressure area and it can introduce fresh air into the engine compartment.

We don't quantify the modification; we just determine whether or not it is present.

Wow, seriously. Two posts above yours:
This is why asking questions in the forums, and treating speculation from non-officials as the correct answer, is not the way to go. "But but but...teh interwebs said it was ok" does not get you very far in a tech inspection (I heard it more than once at the Championships last month). When in doubt, directly consult your regional or national director for the most accurate answer.

Mark

I can't believe a question that was answered in the second post has made it to 2 pages. WTF?

Somebody once asked a question about removable hardtops. 47 pages later...

Mark