Discussion Brakes, ABS issues, sensors, other with the Z car

supraman95

I have read alot of different things in regard to braking issues, ABS sensors causing problems on track, etc, etc.

I wanted to see what all you have witnessed and what issues it has caused. It is apparent that the Orange 350 at Mid-O stated that he had brake pedal issues when he went off.

Hopefully this will be a discussion that will help all of us be safer on track and figure out what does and does not work.

THanks!

The more I search on this issue the more I find.

I was going to post this in the SpecZ thread after reading about 2 Z's with brake failure this weekend... but didn't want to derail the thread.

I'm not SpecZ, but I also experienced brake failure this weekend. Did some reading over the wekeend and seems like ABS Ice mode - or some hub issue causing a similar reaction. A guy named Ralph Provitz was on the T2 team with the Z that started this thread - his team determined a hub failure led to the brake failure in that case.

My brake pedal had pressure.. the car just didn't slow down. Thankfully I wasn't going as fast as some of my other laps due to a missed 3-4 shift at the beginning of the straight.

Stoptech ST-40/Hawk DTC-70 fronts, Brembo (OEM)/Performance Friction PFC01 rears.

Here's my video -

In reading all the posts here.

http://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/384454-mid-ohio-crash.html

Can you disable the ABS system by just unplugging the fuses? I know this causes great rear brake bias however is that the only issue it causes? If it prevents you from having "ice mode" and no pedal at all then that is what we may need to do?

I wanted to keep ABS so I could prevent flat spotting tires and be safer in the rain. After reading all of this I think disabling ABS (as long as it does not cause any other issues) is a no brainer.

Has anyone put a rear brake bias in these cars with the ABS disabled? Is it hard to do with the way the car is setup?

what is the best way to disable the ABS on these cars? I have one front wheel speed sensor unhooked and my ABS light is on. Is this good enough?

• 3 weeks later...
In reading all the posts here.

http://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/384454-mid-ohio-crash.html

Can you disable the ABS system by just unplugging the fuses? I know this causes great rear brake bias however is that the only issue it causes? If it prevents you from having "ice mode" and no pedal at all then that is what we may need to do?

I wanted to keep ABS so I could prevent flat spotting tires and be safer in the rain. After reading all of this I think disabling ABS (as long as it does not cause any other issues) is a no brainer.

Has anyone put a rear brake bias in these cars with the ABS disabled? Is it hard to do with the way the car is setup?

Everytime I got ICE mode, I had stiff pedal , and the front tires were actually locked and flat spotted.

Not sure if it's spec z legal, but I'm really looking at a Wilwood dual master setup in the future.

I race with the ABS and make sure to regularly maintain the system. Every part of the system. Fresh fluid, frequently inspect and change sensors, clean the ABS sensor connectors and keep them dry and grundge free, and maintaining good battery voltage is important. The ABS is a motorized system that gets all of it's power to operate from the battery/charging system (DUH!). If voltages are low or sensor connections less than "optimal" there is a much increased chance of ABS failure. If the ECU doesn't have enough current to keep "thinking" it gets bad thougts! Race track junk that kicks up can strike a sensor and momentarily cange the pick-up distance from the rotating trigger. This will cause an ABS error and "hard code out" the system. I watch the dash and race hard. My system has only failed once in seven years of racing. It was determined to be an electro/mechanical issue, one of the rear sensors got diged by race track debris. I changed the sensor, reset the hard code, replaced the flat spotted tires and got back on the track. I tried racing once without the ABS, no pedal feel, bad bias, no fun. The rules for Spec Z would have to allow for a major break system change for me to decide to race without ABS.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i tried to run with ABS this weekend and it did not work out well. First two laps were fine and then on lap 3 the car had no brakes in turn 1. Hit the brakes and nothing happened. I had no ABS lights or anything on the dash. After that fiasco I pulled the VDC fuse and unplugged the ABS. It's just not worth it.

The worse part is that I have horrible rear lockup now / flat spotted some tires. UGH......