2013 CHANGES TO ST/STR/PTA (TTA and TTS)

Greg G.

Come to think of it... I would not object to the lower PT classes switching over to ST1-6 format.

You might not object, but I would wager you'd see alot of people say "screw that" and go elsewhere to run

Who wants to field a car at >12-15lbs/hp or more BUT have wide open suspension, aero, etc. See also - almost no real GTS1 cars across the country...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• Falcon

• sperkins

• jrgordonsenior

• National Staff
Kevin, I have never heard that question asked

What he was asking was, "Can I build a tungsten water cooler for my cool shirt"

True

You might not object, but I would wager you'd see alot of people say "screw that" and go elsewhere to run

Who wants to field a car at >12-15lbs/hp or more BUT have wide open suspension, aero, etc. See also - almost no real GTS1 cars across the country...

...and True. There is talk about making changes to GTS1 in the future--don't know if it will happen or not, but people are seeing an issue there.

people are seeing an issue there.

IMO people are creating issues where there were none. I'm sure some feel the old tv adage applies here, don't like it then you don't have to watch/run sort of thing. Maybe, and I will consider that when nationals rolls around to the our coast next time at MMP and see if I need to support the group that didn't think our support in AZ was enough to leave it alone. Now we are faced with a likely solo class of ST3 in AZ.

Off topic, what did the SCCA do to the T1 vettes?

They basically mashed STO and the old T1 together, creating a sort of hybrid ST-type class which allows aero parts, sequential boxes, etc with various weight penalties. The cars are equalized by restrictors. The old STO cars are now basically homeless, or have to ballast several hundred pounds of weight to remain in the class.

The old T1 rules have now essentially become T2, just slower with increased weights.

I thought we were friends..... Haha.

In all seriousness, I will need to add ballast to the car AND stay under 3000. The last thing I want to argue about in impound is about a rule that does not explicitly state something. 16lbs would not normally matter, but I have to get it extremely close in order to maintain power.

I'll consider it driver gear and not include it.

Kevin

Come to think of it... I would not object to the lower PT classes switching over to ST1-6 format.

GTS2 is 14.5, GTS3 is 11..... 2 and 3 seem to be doing alright...

That said, dont make every class wide open please.

I thought we were friends..... Haha.

In all seriousness, I will need to add ballast to the car AND stay under 3000. The last thing I want to argue about in impound is about a rule that does not explicitly state something. 16lbs would not normally matter, but I have to get it extremely close in order to maintain power.

I'll consider it driver gear and not include it.

Kevin

that's what you get for going on a diet!

I suspect that may have more to do with GTS guys wanting "real" race cars with M3 badges or the alphabet of Porsche and not a 914. Plus the GTS1 cars all have Spec classes to race in.

• 4 weeks later...

OK. Spent the last 30 minutes scanning this thread to see if there is any mention of the race cars classed PTA like my Pro Challenge...not even a hint of what the intentions are for cars like this.

Am I to assume that the rules for my car remain unchanged but we get sent to ST3? I have a 11.93#/hp ratio but killer brakes and good cornering (but not significantly better than a well sorted Corvette). I will be a sitting duck on all but the twistiest tracks.

I would have thought about STR2 (need slicks and engine swap to stay remotely competitive) but now you are making that go away too...have we been overlooked here Greg? Care to elaborate?

OK. Spent the last 30 minutes scanning this thread to see if there is any mention of the race cars classed PTA like my Pro Challenge...not even a hint of what the intentions are for cars like this.

Am I to assume that the rules for my car remain unchanged but we get sent to ST3? I have a 11.93#/hp ratio but killer brakes and good cornering (but not significantly better than a well sorted Corvette). I will be a sitting duck on all but the twistiest tracks.

I would have thought about STR2 (need slicks and engine swap to stay remotely competitive) but now you are making that go away too...have we been overlooked here Greg? Care to elaborate?

I think you would want to run STR3 at 9.0 hp/wt.

• 1 year later...
Love it, well most of it anyway....

Please explain the thought process behind #8, giving rotary engines a +.3 bonus. That's new so I know there's a reason, I just can't figure out what.....

Sorry to dig this up, but it's the closest I could find digging through the search.

I'm contemplating jumping into TT2/ST2 when I get back to the states and reading through the rules I can't figure out why we need to give rotary engines a 3.5% to 5% boost in power/weight (depending on TT1 vs TT2 and other modifiers).

A really mild LSx seems like a slam dunk for a reliable, cheap, and competitive mill for my plans, but that's A LOT to give up for choosing cheap pistons. At 400ish HP you can get a very nice torque curve out of a turbo 13B but it's just money. I get the 1.9L N/A modifier as they will probably not be as good on average power given the engine having to "work for it" more, but it seems silly to have the same modifier for a turbo rotary...

• 2 weeks later...
At 400ish HP you can get a very nice torque curve out of a turbo 13B but it's just money.

I don't know the reason for this modifier either, but you can't match an LSx torque curve with a turbo rotary at 400hp, and reliability is obviously a different story with the turbo. I've tried.

I do think though that it would be more sensible if this modifier applied to non-turbo rotaries only, as those of us running without the hairdryer have embarrassing torque curves even though we might have similar peak power.