next year c5 z06 options in TT?

toomchpwr

If I want to continue to run my car on the cheap (no more power, no big brakes, no $$$ suspension), where can I run and be competitive?

Sounds like we have to go into ST3 now but to do well there, I'm assuming the front runners will have the toys I mentioned above.

I liked TTA because I didn't have to spend tons to be competitive.

Now what?

Sadly they have even taken the TTB* option away from all C5s. Only choice any C5 has is pick TT1,2,3, or U. None will be low budget for TT to run at front.

If I want to continue to run my car on the cheap (no more power, no big brakes, no $$$ suspension), where can I run and be competitive?

Sounds like we have to go into ST3 now but to do well there, I'm assuming the front runners will have the toys I mentioned above.

I liked TTA because I didn't have to spend tons to be competitive.

Now what?

I asked Greg that question in the "ST3 Revisit" and he never replied.

The Corvette is not singled out here. It is simply brought to a realm of classing where it is compared to its contingent of comparable factory built super-cars. Yes, there are more high dollar machines that run TT1-3/R (ttsur) but that doesn't mean you need to spend stupid money to compete. Look at Ellis, who ran a factory body Z06 with big tires, a Penske shock/spring but no aero. Ellis set records across the northeast and finished on the podium with the car at nationals 2011.

Really? Is any other car mentioned by name in the new rules? The 911, STi, and Evo still have a TTB option.

The C5 is a great cheap platform out of the box. Sadly there is no option for it there anymore.

The Corvette is not singled out here. It is simply brought to a realm of classing where it is compared to its contingent of comparable factory built super-cars.

Yeah right. A 16 year old car that makes 315rwhp using leaf springs and 265mm tires should definitley be considered 'A SUPER-CAR.

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?

Funny... I thought everyone was complaining that those of us at the top end of TTA had our cars "too" prepped and that TT should have been geared toward mostly stock cars with interiors and some sort of affordable tire etc.

Now we got the opposite direction where a relatively stock car has zero change at all. I have no problem further prepping my car to TTS/ST2 or TT3/ST3, but I have no idea where everyone will end up when this all shakes out. It's not going to be easy to prep between ST2 and ST3 and I want to actually race against people.

• National Staff

Actually, they were complaining that your cars were Base classed as the class over-dogs to begin with because without using any points, you could max out at the top of the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio for PTA (even when on 275's with an even better Wt/HP ratio), and that even when they used many points, they could not get their cars close. The only way that they are able to compete is to take away the points restrictions on them. We did use to have other cars in TTA and PTA. Unfortunately, the beneficial base classing of the C5 Z, without a doubt the lowest stock Wt/HP ratio of any car that was competing in TTA and PTA, turned the class into a one car class with shrinking numbers. Aaron Byram's Honda Civic is a perfect example of how an older model that would never have been considered a strong contender, can definitely compete with the Z's once the points restrictions are taken away. NASA's goal is to not only get more models in those classes, but to elevate those cars into the premiere and more prestigious Super Touring series. Yes, most late model AI cars can now Supersize into TT3/ST3.

As far as the C5 base is concerned, the only reason it was ever classed as TTB* was to allow enough points for it to be able to compete in TTA against the Z06's and other cars. It was never intended for a C5 Corvette to compete in TTB. In fact, our Corvette experts at the time of that classing 6 years ago told us that there was no way that we would see a C5 try to compete in TTB, and we came up with that classing specifically so that the C5 had enough points to put a suspension on the car and run TTA. I've never seen a 911 compete in TTB. Evo's and STi/STI's can, but without mods, and they are generally not close to the limit on Adjusted Wt/Hp ratio (which they complain about), but they still do well.

I can understand that some of you may not like the changes, but for those of you reading this, remember that MOST of our drivers to not come on the Forums. And, a few drivers posting over and over in multiple threads about their dissatisfaction does not mean that the MAJORITY don't like the changes. And, it certainly doesn't mean that the changes won't ultimately benefit the TT and ST series (and even the PT Series by sharpening the focus there a bit). I have had a lot of positive e-mails this past week, which is encouraging for the future.

none of the TTA or TTS people I talked to at the track this weekend had recieved a survey, and only about 10% had had a chance to respond on the forums (as you said not that high a % post...).

Maybe they were overlooked by accident or something.

As a participant in TT the past several years, I really don't care what changes you make to the rules. I have run in TTU. Tried a few events in TTA and then moved over to TTS.

The way I see it I am going to field a car I like. Build how I want and figure out where to run it.

If the car is "slow" it's usually the driver's fault, with the exception of a mechanical issue.

Brian, I agree with you. I don't mind prepping my car for ST2, if I will have people to race against. So far, in the SE, I think there would be 3 I could count on if I go ST2. How many would there be in MA?

Funny... I thought everyone was complaining that those of us at the top end of TTA had our cars "too" prepped and that TT should have been geared toward mostly stock cars with interiors and some sort of affordable tire etc.

Now we got the opposite direction where a relatively stock car has zero change at all. I have no problem further prepping my car to TTS/ST2 or TT3/ST3, but I have no idea where everyone will end up when this all shakes out. It's not going to be easy to prep between ST2 and ST3 and I want to actually race against people.

Brian, I agree with you. I don't mind prepping my car for ST2, if I will have people to race against. So far, in the SE, I think there would be 3 I could count on if I go ST2. How many would there be in MA?

About 2-3 ST2 cars seems to be the average of late. MA has a relatively active TTA crowd (usually 4-7 each event) but absolutely 0 PTA racers (which is why I race ST2 when I race around here).

Because of this I'm leaning toward ST3/TT3 so I can still instruct/TT and have people to run against. When I race W2W I'd probably just race ST2 as a field filler unless ST3 starts to pick-up.

Back to the original question: Where can you run your Z? Well, you can take the no aero option and run in TT3. It's 9.0:1 wt/hp ratio. Not too bad, and tires modify that. So you can run 275 square on 18" wheels (cheap), and pick up 0.4 more, to put you at 8.6:1. Next, I'd consider either shocks or brakes, but it's up to you. The good news is you don't need to pay points for all that weird exhaust stuff (are you really going to check my x-pipe?) and no cats, etc.

It is more expensive than it was. You can however do it incrementally.