Non-OEM Aero Rule Solicitation--time to speak up!

Greg G.

1) Mod factor 1.2

2) If the body part wasn't sold attached to the car, it's a mod.

I wish. But I think 0.6 would be reasonable.

And which version of the car? That's the question. BTM doesn't work in this case, so any version of the car?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• Greg G.

• kbrew8991

• robbodleimages

The C5 is delivered with the front license plate frame/filler in the trunk

They are so good, GM has brought them back and selling again?!

There are two things that are still open from what I understand:

1) What the aero point mod factor will be (although it looks like it's 0.5 and probably isn't changing)

2) What constitutes factory aero

1) Mod factor 1.2

2) If the body part wasn't sold attached to the car, it's a mod.

shoo-shiddily-diddily.... C6Z06s are delivered with the front splitter/spoiler in the trunk. The ZR1 is delivered with the front splitter and side skirts uninstalled. The C5 is delivered with the front license plate frame/filler in the trunk

Do you know of any C6Z06s or C6ZR1s that will be in ST3 at 9.0 to 1 wt/HP?

Pretty sure my old C5 came with the front cover installed, I got a ticket for not having a front plate mounted and I tried to use the "license plate holder was supposed to be installed by the dealer but they forgot" excuse....didn't work of course.

• National Staff

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Here is the final product awaiting approval (not complete text--only sections pertaining to the non-Aero rule are copied here):

7.3.1) Aerodynamic modifications are unrestricted with the following exceptions:

a.) Active aerodynamic devices or modifications (including, but not limited to, computerized, cockpit adjustable, self-adjusting, and OEM) are not permitted.

b.) ST1, ST2, and ST3 only (not applicable to STR)

A rear wing (or rear spoiler for wagon-style bodies) may not exceed a height of eight (8) inches above the roof-line (or OEM windshield height for convertibles).

c.) ST1, ST2, and ST3 only (not applicable to STR)

Modification of the OEM roof line is permitted, but will be assessed via a Modification Factor in the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”.

d.) ST3 only

The addition of non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modification of OEM body lines (unless specifically stated otherwise in these rules), will be assessed a Modification Factor to the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”. In this case, non-OEM is defined as any part that does not come from the vehicle manufacturer either as a standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim model/package of that generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle.

3) The inner/inboard side of the fender well may have holes cut specifically for the purpose of the passage of brake ducts, external shock reservoirs, and brake lines/ABS wires. Plastic fender liners may be modified and/or removed. The front, top, and rear aspects of the fender well may have modifications to allow vent holes for aero and/or cooling purposes.

C. The following are additional permitted exceptions to 7.3.1(d) above:

1) Undertray/belly pan forward of the centerline of the front axle.

2) Removal of a convertible soft top/frame and/or adding a hardtop to a convertible provided that the hardtop uses a sealed rear window and is either OEM, an OEM option, or the same shape and size of an OEM/OEM option top.

3) Lexan front, rear, and rear side windows without uncovered holes.

4) Front wing window/frame removal and replacement with Lexan.

5) Hood replacement/modification for venting and/or weight reduction (“aero” hood pins are permitted).

6) Removal/cutting/drilling of the fascia for engine cooling, air intake, and brake ducting purposes.

7) Removal of rain gutters/drip edges and mirrors.

8) Flared and/or rolled fenders.

9) NACA ducts, air ducts, or air hoses placed in a side window frame solely for the purpose of driver cooling.

10) Headlamp, headlight covers, and fog lights may all be removed. The holes may be left open, used for brake ducts, or must be covered with material that replicates the shape of the OEM light/cover, leaving the shape of the OEM fascia intact.

The entire 2013 ST Rules will be published as soon as they are approved (probably before 10-15, but possibly as soon as 10-12). I think we have a great set of rules for 2013 that will spur growth in all classes over the next five years!

Quick clarification question:

7.3.3.C.9: NACA ducts: If one wanted to graft a NACA duct into a quarter-window (or rear door window) for drivetrain or rear brake cooling, would that be exempted under this rule? I can't see how those would be considered "aerodynamic aids."

Still wondering what Enduro class ST3 would fall under...

• National Staff

7.3.3.C.9: NACA ducts: If one wanted to graft a NACA duct into a quarter-window (or rear door window) for drivetrain or rear brake cooling, would that be exempted under this rule? I can't see how those would be considered "aerodynamic aids."

Dave, does it say you can do that? There is no reason that you cannot use another method for cooling those regions.

Jerry will decide on Enduro classing, as usual. Since ST3 should be faster than PTA, I'm guessing that he will go conservative and put it in ES to start, and then let the lobbying begin in future years.

3) The inner/inboard side of the fender well may have holes cut specifically for the purpose of the passage of brake ducts, external shock reservoirs, and brake lines/ABS wires. Plastic fender liners may be modified and/or removed. The front, top, and rear aspects of the fender well may have modifications to allow vent holes for aero and/or cooling purposes.

Just to clarify... The Fender venting for aero does not get the .5 aero penalty?

Greg,

I like it and think it will work. You might want to consider changing 10) to read as I have suggested below. The English Majors amongst us illiterates will argue that the way you have it worded, leaving headling/foglight holes open for nothing is allowable. I am assuming the rule should be stated that headlight/foglight holes should be used for brake ducts OR closed off only. I could be wrong on your intent (suprise suprise).

Original:

10) Headlamp, headlight covers, and fog lights may all be removed. The holes may be left open, used for brake ducts, or must be covered with material that replicates the shape of the OEM light/cover, leaving the shape of the OEM fascia intact.

My suggestion:

10) Headlamp, headlight covers, and fog lights may all be removed. The holes may be left open AND used for brake ducts OR must be covered with material that replicates the shape of the OEM light/cover, leaving the shape of the OEM fascia intact.

Dave, does it say you can do that? There is no reason that you cannot use another method for cooling those regions.

Jerry will decide on Enduro classing, as usual. Since ST3 should be faster than PTA, I'm guessing that he will go conservative and put it in ES to start, and then let the lobbying begin in future years.

Nope, it doesn't. At the moment, there is NO rule set, so I was hoping that drivetrain/brake cooling would get included. C'est la vie.

if a side window is ok to have a NACA duct but a quarter window isn't then we might need a clarification. To me - quarter window is a side window that doesn't roll down and one with a NACA duct looks ok the way that reads to me.

The "only for driver cooling" portion is what queers that idea, though. If you combine "not for driver cooling" along with "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't," then you could theoretically wind up having to take a 0.5 factor hit just to keep the diff alive...

• National Staff

Ken, Dave is talking about bringing air through the cabin and then back out of the cabin, presumably through an illegal hole in the floor pan? This is not about which window to use. We allow the NACA ducts to cool the driver--extra air brought into the cabin, w/o relief holes (aero) other than the OEM ones. We have thousands of cars driving on track that do not require a NACA duct to go through the cabin to cool the differential. There are plenty of diff. and tranny coolers available, and ducts can be routed elsewhere. So, this is an example of a rule that is not needed, and only presents another item that would need to be tech inspected both inside and below the vehicle. It also is just another item that someone smarter than us could try and use as a loophole. Not needed.

I actually wasn't thinking floor-pan, I was thinking vertical edge of the decklid, in between the tail-lights and above the bumper for airflow exit. I was envisioning an essentially sealed system: NACA duct hose passes through the rear fuel-cell bulkhead, into a plenum containing something like a Setrab or Mocal stacked plate 20-row cooler, then vents out the back. No big deal for me, honestly, my build would be aero-based anyway, so this wouldn't affect me. The real question for me is what series to run in the sprints. I built an E0-legal car, and can continue to build to the AI rule set to stay there. I would rather run ST3 in the sprints so I don't have to change setups and carry Toyo rubber, but I can if that's what makes the most sense. Thanks, anyway.

• National Staff

Dave, you're killing me Hypothetical only, and not for your car

I'm shutting the computer off and heading for the track--I'm getting withdrawals after watching the Championships w/o driving.

I think that ST3 is going to be a great class. I sent Jerry an e-mail about the enduro classing.

I know it's a bit late...but to me if it's a "no-points" mod or in the engine section in PT (mirror removal, hood/fender vents, wing windows, etc) then they should be specified as allowed in ST without the modification factor.

• National Staff
I know it's a bit late...but to me if it's a "no-points" mod or in the engine section in PT (mirror removal, hood/fender vents, wing windows, etc) then they should be specified as allowed in ST without the modification factor.

Did you read the 2013 ST Rules?

That's crazy talk.

That's crazy talk.

My bet is some S197 cars with aero mods will show up and be impressive. Keep in mind the tire mod factor lets you keep your brick accelerating.

i bet not unless they have no ai competition to race with. with aero the 9.5 to 1 is straight ai.

Rob, no it isn't. On 275's, it is 9.1:1. Then, add in whatever Mod Factor for weight.

Im a bit late to the party. Rob is corrrect if you run the ABS (as pointed out by someone, some want the s197 out of AI)

Seems like it's more of a penalty to run a small aero part now than before. For example a front splitter was +3 points before, now it's a 0.5 power to weight penalty.

In my case I run a front splitter because it's almost impossible to source the factory front bellypan parts, new they're NLA or uber expensive, used they're broken/destroyed/missing critical hardware.

Rather than penalizing for an aero package, can it be broken out into 1 small piece with a smaller penalty? Or something written for parts that essentially replace NLA stock parts that have minimal to no effect?