Wavetrac change for 2013?

obzezzed350

Any chance that the Nismo diff will be legal for 2013? I have a few guys that I talked to about builds, and they are all holding back partially because they dont want to buy the wavetrac. Obviously they can run a VLSD in the mean time, but just thought I would throw this out there.

I know there has been alot of chatter on this. I know of atleast one person that went from a Wavetrac to a Carbonetic and refuses to go back. That was his biggest complaint.

• 2 weeks later...

same here, I am going to track mine till I hear of no more problems, I imagine the brakes will be next, talking to the guys who ran the car in grand am cup back in the early 2000, the brembos would overheat. It is a shame that some guys will be buying brembos just to find out they are not the hot set up. We should get big brakes front and back and call it a day!

Any chance that the Nismo diff will be legal for 2013? I have a few guys that I talked to about builds, and they are all holding back partially because they dont want to buy the wavetrac. Obviously they can run a VLSD in the mean time, but just thought I would throw this out there.

same here, I am going to track mine till I hear of no more problems, I imagine the brakes will be next, talking to the guys who ran the car in grand am cup back in the early 2000, the brembos would overheat. It is a shame that some guys will be buying brembos just to find out they are not the hot set up. We should get big brakes front and back and call it a day!

The Brembos are adequate. You just need to cool them properly, run the right fluid, and there are a few other tricks. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Brembos held up compared to other "stock Brembo" configurations I have driven.

That being said... we need another option for the Diffs. I was one of the cars affected by the wavetrac failure at Nationals. I put my oem diff back in to finish the season...

Did it Blow Up/melt/cook or just go into an Open Diff-like state?

(Inside wheel whelspin)

That being said... we need another option for the Diffs. I was one of the cars affected by the wavetrac failure at Nationals. I put my oem diff back in to finish the season

• 1 month later...

The Brembos are adequate. You just need to cool them properly, run the right fluid, and there are a few other tricks. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Brembos held up compared to other "stock Brembo" configurations I have driven.

That being said... we need another option for the Diffs. I was one of the cars affected by the wavetrac failure at Nationals. I put my oem diff back in to finish the season...

What is the right fluid? ATE?

That is what I use with no problems...ATE

I also use it in the Clutch...

What is the right fluid? ATE?

Did it Blow Up/melt/cook or just go into an Open Diff-like state?

(Inside wheel whelspin)

That being said... we need another option for the Diffs. I was one of the cars affected by the wavetrac failure at Nationals. I put my oem diff back in to finish the season

I believe you posted some pics of that cooler, it looked like a really solid setup. How did your wavetrac fail? Seems like a very unreliable diff. Also it increases the cost of entry into specZ by requiring a cooling system. I am sticking with the VLSD until I get some competition in my region that uses the wavetrac. Hopefully another diff like the carbonetic will become legal soon.

Mine has not blown up yet...but that is because I have an effective cooler...and run expensive as shiate Motul diff fluid

but I still get what I think is wheel-spin..but hard to tell at speed.

And I don't drive as hard as the National Level drivers...

Mine has not blown up yet...but that is because I have an effective cooler...and run expensive as shiate Motul diff fluid

but I still get what I think is wheel-spin..but hard to tell at speed.

And I don't drive as hard as the National Level drivers...

Ah ok. I misread the post and thought it was yours that blew up but I see it was Petemac who lost his wavetrac at the nationals. I wonder if wavetrac/Nissan is helping with the replacements either through a discount or warranty?

Warrenty...send it back to Wavetrac and they will rebuild/refurbish it.

I know for a fact a couple of drivers have done that ...for free (exculding shipping) Any spec changes made will be installed in your unit.

I plan to do that to mine in a week of so...just the Diff unit, NOT the entire Pumpkin...

• 1 month later...
Can anyone explain the difference between the options available from nismo as listed on the 2013 rule book.

38420-SS370 is the Wavetrac diff

38420-RS141 is the older NISMO 1.5 way clutch type diff

I can't decide which to go with... I've heard good things about the NISMO diff and bad things about the Wavetrac but with adequate cooling maybe the Wavetrac's problems aren't so severe?

Will it need cooling?

Hey, one of the local racers in my area has a used Nismo diff for sale for ~$850 (diff only/no houseing/axels/etc) pm me for details

I honestly don't know...so I will say "YES" because most race cars should have a diff cooler...However I DO NOT beleive the previous owner/racer used a cooling.

PM me for details if you wanna talk directly to the horse he is kinda shy and doesn't like this new-fangled thing called the internet

I got a Nismo unit from a guy in Cali and I love it. I have never used a Wavetrac, but I had a Quaife and that thing is garbage compared to the Nismo. The Nismo eliminated ALL of my wheel spin issues coming out of the corners.

I got a Nismo unit from a guy in Cali and I love it. I have never used a Wavetrac, but I had a Quaife and that thing is garbage compared to the Nismo. The Nismo eliminated ALL of my wheel spin issues coming out of the corners.

What guy? Can I buy it back?

ESR/Rafael - interested in my WaveTrac?