New HC4 Build

porkchops22

Welcome Kevyn!

Not to burst anyone's bubble (Sam and Rob)...

All the cool kids run H2...

Just saying!!

No worries, the coolest kids will be in H4 in 2013, LOL!

Naw - you got it wrong!! You mean in PTE...

That is unless you know of about 3 people who will commit to H1 next season...

Naw - you got it wrong!! You mean in PTE...

That is unless you know of about 3 people who will commit to H1 next season...

H4...PTE...same for me either way just on different tires.

As far as H1, I'm at a loss on finding those 3 people.

Regards,

Sam

Just heard from Bruce Barger over the weekend and he will be doing comp school at Mid-O in April and racing his EF Civic SI in H4 as well! That gets us to four (4) H4 cars in the GL region in April, and Kevyn will be joining us once his build is complete and he does comp school. I'm sure there are more out there to come out of the woodwork once they see there is competition again.

So far we have:

Sam Myers - CRX Si

Jim Feniello - DC Integra

Rob Demorest - DA Integra

Bruce Barger - EF Civic Si

Kevyn Kistner - EG Civic Si

Looking forward to a great 2013 racing in H4!

Regards,

Sam

Buddy of mine is trying to sell off his 91 CRX and other miscellaneous parts to try and fund a H4 EG hatch build as well. Not sure of his time table but he will eventually be with us too.

Alright, finally have a usable block and crank to start with. Got that rolling at the machine shop today. Now to start budgeting for LSD and suspension.

• 5 months later...

It has been a while since I have posted an update so here goes.

Finally got the engine prepped and ready to go.537472_4428061615279_1316208424_n.jpg I am going to go through the valves this weekend and start putting everything back on it.

Also, the car came back from the cage shop yesterday but i still need to add two more bars. There was some confusion on whether the X design was legal or not. 407043_4613170402883_713146965_n.jpg

Next steps for me:

*Paint cage

*fix body work on chassis and paint

*install rear disc brake setup

*degrease/clean engine bay

*order 4.9 FD gear set

*order race seat, harness, and nets

*order wheels and tires

*Order correct brake rotors

*figure out suspension

Basically I have a ways to go and a few more thousand to spend.

From 2013 HC Rules:

4.9 Roll Cage

All cars shall have a NASA CCR-compliant roll cage. Additionally,

a) Any number of additional mounting points may be used.

b) Any number of additional tubes may be used, even for chassis stiffening.

c) Any size mounting plate may be used, subject to material and minimum specifications in the NASA CCR.

d) Two (2) forward cage braces per side (total of four (4)) may pass through the firewall and connect at no

more than two (2) mounting points in the engine compartment (i.e. strut tower or frame).

e) Tubes may be welded at any contact point. Additional material may be used to connect roll cage tubing

to chassis of car. I.E. A pillar bar may have material welded to both itself and the A pillar of the car.

Additional spot welding and/or welding seams on the chassis is permitted.

f) If any part or combination of modification number 4.9.e above is utilized, an additional thirty (30) pound

weight penalty will apply.

g) All tubes that are added shall be inspected for safety reasons. Any tube deemed to be hazardous to the

driver must be removed.

From 2013 CC&R:

15.6.11 Rear Braces

The main hoop should have two (2) braces extending to the rear. The braces shall be attached as near as

possible to the top of the main hoop, and no more than six (6) inches below the top. The braces should not

contain any bends*. There must be at least 30 degrees between the plane of the main hoop and the plane of

the rear braces. The main hoop rear braces shall be installed to form no more than a one hundred five (105)

degree angle or no less than a seventy-five (75) degree angle with the main hoop when viewed from the top.

may consist of an “X” pattern design. The main hoop braces may be mounted at the rear shock mounts or

suspension pickup points (providing that the braces remain in compliance with all other sections of the CCR).

They may go through any rear bulkhead(s) provided the bulkhead(s) is sealed around the cage braces. *There

may be certain exceptions allowed for cars that cannot possible meet this “no bend” requirement. One

exception is listed [Ref:(15.6.11.A)]. Other exceptions may be made if all of the required bars meet the

specifications for a vehicle in the next heavier weight classification and the alternative design is submitted to the

NASA National Office for special allowance.

The red portion was crossed out and the bold portion was added for 2013.

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I updated. This trying to build a car from scratch thing is taking a lot longer than anticipated. Apparently time and money aren't as easy to come by as it used to be.

552999_10200717160266992_1941131477_n.jpg Here is the dash finally cut down to fit back in over the dash bar.

14155_10200409911945976_1757748112_n.jpg

Engine buttoned up and just about ready to go back in the car.

Next up:

Ordering my new final drive gear, clutch and flywheel this week and will begin tearing apart my trans. Thinking I may go ahead and replace the bearings and synchros while I am in there. I can tell you this, I am really getting antsy. I want to get out on track but I refuse to take any short cuts. Oh well, slow and steady wins the race....right? (yea right)