dot tires are equal?

robbodleimages

TT3 - less than 2 maybe. ST3 - less than 2 might be possible for one lap, but no way it lasts for anything more than a lap. Tiny 245 As on a 3000 pound car are not going to put down sub 2 minute laps for 45 minutes. Nonetheless, if your car can't do 2 flat at VIR you are likely to be an underdog.

PS - does anybody else think it's funny that the most active poster in ST forum is a guy that runs PTF??? I sure do

why not? we all know how much faster the A compound is than the R.

it is when it's cooler, and you only have a crack at a few laps at it. But racing in July over 45 mins, they are much closer. Both are different tools in the toolbox

why not? we all know how much faster the A compound is than the R.

it is when it's cooler, and you only have a crack at a few laps at it. But racing in July over 45 mins, they are much closer. Both are different tools in the toolbox

i am not familiar with any nasa sprint racing where there is 45 minutes of green flag racing. particularly in nasa se the races are 30 and 40 minutes total which translates into 22 and 32 minutes of green, if there are not double yellows, red or black flag all's.

i personally like longer racing where being patient has some value, but most of the nasa racing i do is about 20 minutes of green per race on average.

PS - does anybody else think it's funny that the most active poster in ST forum is a guy that runs PTF??? I sure do

Sorry for knowing alot about the ruleset

- KB, been a TT director (and thus knows ST car classing rules too) since ~2005ish

- KB, also most active almost everywhere so suck it!

I am a postwhore

Edited for accuracy

why not? we all know how much faster the A compound is than the R. In TT with good class turnout, the R compound car is at a significant disadvantage. Same and even moreso for the racer.

The current rule defacto requires use of A compound tires in order to compete. I am suggesting that it is a car count limiting factor.

Are we trying to sell A compound tires for Hoosier?

Please dont read accusation in my words. I dont mind an open tire rule. I just recognize what it means. In this case if you want to win, you can't run on R compound tires.

Have you priced Hoosiers lately? They are all the same. A6 R6 and Wets are exactly the same price. How would a compound factor effect the cost of running?

why not? we all know how much faster the A compound is than the R. In TT with good class turnout, the R compound car is at a significant disadvantage. Same and even moreso for the racer.

The current rule defacto requires use of A compound tires in order to compete. I am suggesting that it is a car count limiting factor.

Please dont read accusation in my words. I dont mind an open tire rule. I just recognize what it means. In this case if you want to win, you can't run on R compound tires.

Have you priced Hoosiers lately? They are all the same. A6 R6 and Wets are exactly the same price. How would a compound factor effect the cost of running?

I am aware that the price is the same. I think most are. I think most also know that an A compound generally wears out in about half the time or heat cycles of the R. You need something like twice the tires. Otherwise, why would anyone run an R compound tire?

I am aware that the price is the same. I think most are. I think most also know that an A compound generally wears out in about half the time or heat cycles of the R. You need something like twice the tires. Otherwise, why would anyone run an R compound tire?

In my case, the R6 and A6 are the same price...but the SM6 is cheaper. Therefore, my choice is clear lol.

Less then that, typically I cord A's in my 3100 lb car in 1 or 2 races. Corvettes for whatever reason are really easy on them. But ya the compound is typically decided by how big the pack is. If you've got 10+ like SoCal is claiming to have this year and they're all running A's with the HP bonus it's a little retarded to run Slicks or ANY other tire. The only advantage is if the race is 30+ minutes long on a HOT day, then those heavy cars on A's will start to fall off. But if it's cool and it's 20ish minutes you're hosed. Thus the spending cycle grows bigger and more cumbersome .

with the HP bonus it's a little retarded to run Slicks or ANY other tire.

according to what / who's testing?

I've seen some people come pretty close (half second to the good, half second to the bad depending setup, aero, driving style preferences, etc) going from As to R100s. And R100s aren't the best non-DOT out there at the moment...

Also if you're a car where you can't get much more HP without sacrificing reliability, and you're down on weight about as far as you can cheaply go, then slicks are definitely something to test with before grenading engines or breaking out the sawzall.

Just about anybody you talk to at this power to weight level, esp ones that compete nationally. Esp since x-scca cars are built/setup for A's already. Not saying slicks are slower, just no real numbers are going to bother.

If other companies offered the same or better contingency I bet people would figure out how to be fast on those tires.

Edited by Guest

If other companies offered the same or better contingency I very people would figure out how to be fast on those tires.

PTA national champ was on BFG I think.

Sorry for knowing alot about the ruleset

- KB, been a TT director (and thus knows ST car classing rules too) since ~2005ish

- KB, also most active almost everywhere so suck it!

- KB - been watching people do fun stuff, but never did it myself. However, I do have a lot of input for how best to do it.

On a different note, I've tested Rs vs As vs R100s vs R80s vs Dunlop Slicks (can't remember the compound). I would disagree with your statement. Oh, and I also have a set of R75s to test shortly. However, that was an entirely overly expensive test to just blab about it.

Edited by Guest

You can learn alot through the mistakes of others, what can I say And you only tested Dunlop and Hoosier? Hmm.

Btw - if you go back and read this thread started with general questions on the ruleset, which are an easy answer for someone that has been helping people class their cars within said ruleset for a while. But meh. If any of the rest of you jokers would bother to try and help someone figure out your ruleset so you've got another car to beat up on I wouldn't need to say anything in this thread....