Had Enough

Dirt Surfer

Ok you guys win, I've had enough of the tire changing from ra-1's to r888 to the other series running hoosiers and now the new toyo rr. Goodbye to SCCA and to NASA I can't afford to buy different brands of tires every year, on a side note anybody interested in a Spec Miata with a bunch of worthless tires?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have many tires left at the end of the season and simply just use my accrued rewards bucks to load up on next years tire. I do like the not have to shave aspect an the cars are now faster yet tire will last about as long. Though running RA1s for wets now creates an issue of what to do with them when they are no longer good for wet weather anymore. I bet I can sell them for a good price with 4/32nds left to DE / TT drivers who want them.

Is there a market for these tires after the second race of next season? I'am considering giving it another chance with the new RR's since I can keep my old RA'1 full treads for rains. I will buy one set and see what happens after that. I would really like to stay in racing and give this series a good try but it will take some serious reevaluating

To Ole, I'am in Columbia S.C. and to Sterling Doc, Thanks I'm trying to get the money up to buy a set I just need to get my Hans also, I rented one for the race I ran at Road Atlanta so now I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy one. On the RR's I've heard that they should have a heat cycle run into them and then put them up for at least 48 hours does this sound right?

To Ole, I'am in Columbia S.C. and to Sterling Doc, Thanks I'm trying to get the money up to buy a set I just need to get my Hans also, I rented one for the race I ran at Road Atlanta so now I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy one. On the RR's I've heard that they should have a heat cycle run into them and then put them up for at least 48 hours does this sound right?

That will make them last longer and be faster sooner. Make sure you don't abuse them during the initial heat cycle. After the initial heat cycle/session make sure you cover them with a blanket or such and let them cool for a least 3 hours while covered. Also, they need to sit a minimum 24 hours before you use them again.

That will make them last longer and be faster sooner. Make sure you don't abuse them during the initial heat cycle. After the initial heat cycle/session make sure you cover them with a blanket or such and let them cool for a least 3 hours while covered. Also, they need to sit a minimum 24 hours before you use them again.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yep !!

• 4 weeks later...

Well in light of recent developments with the new RR I think I will hold up on purchasing any of them until I see if this rotation and mounting procedure cures the problem. I have some Ra1's to run at CMP for the first race in February so I believe it should be sorted out by TOYO by then. CMP is a very abrasive track so I kinda hate to take the new RR's out there to try them out. I need to burn up these Ra1's anyway, who sells the Toyo RR's at the track at CMP?

• 1 month later...

I heard you are supposed to break them in, take them off the car, glue the seam opening back with JB weld, let cure for 1 hour, rent a meat locker close to the track, flash freeze them in the locker overnight, take them out the next morning, put them in a convection oven slowly heating them to 275 degrees over 3 hours while basting them liberally in Windex every thirty minutes. Then Viola', your ready to go racing!

I heard you are supposed to break them in, take them off the car, glue the seam opening back with JB weld, let cure for 1 hour, rent a meat locker close to the track, flash freeze them in the locker overnight, take them out the next morning, put them in a convection oven slowly heating them to 275 degrees over 3 hours while basting them liberally in Windex every thirty minutes. Then Viola', your ready to go racing!

Not a meat locker but rather a large wine refrigerator and rapidly cool them to a consistent 55 degrees.

As an HPDE guy with a turbo Miata, I'm regularly searching out decent used Spec Miata tires. I've been known to give $100-150 for a cycled-out set that would be otherwise worthless to the Spec Miata guys. I know it isn't a lot, but for you it is found money if they are too slow for you to use and you are just going to chuck them out otherwise. It might cover a night at the hotel at the track. One team owner had stacks that were 5 and 6 years old in his garage that he had no idea why he was keeping.

They may only get me one weekend before I'm into the cords but they are still better for me than street rubber.

Put them up on Miataforumz.comhttp://www.miataforumz.com/miata-parts-sale-wanted-13/ and I will make sure to put links on all the other Miata sites where the HPDE guys hang out (miataturbo.net is a hotbed for them but they won't let new guys make sale threads there, so I'll link it if you post up on the MFz site).

There are certainly guys local to you or planning on going to the track at the same time that will give a few bucks for them.

Thanks,

Steve

Edit: I'll also gladly pay shipping for your half-used-up Miata race compound brake pads you are about to chuck into the trash. I'm trying to have fun on the cheap here because the wife and I are adopting a 13yr old girl out of the state foster care system and it is taking up my extra trackday cash.

Should be a bunch of Ra1's after the second race of the season I have 3 sets that still have some good life in them and 2 sets of hoosier's. May even have some carbotech pads left for the front of a NA PM me if your interested I live in S.C. I'll send you pictures after this weekend, (I need them for one more race)

• 1 month later...

I gotta say, I'm not throwing away my half-used RA-1's yet. I'm only 0.2 seconds off the RR guys based on the last 2 weekends. That said, I haven't run the RR's, but I'm not throwing away hundreds of $'s of tires for 0.2 seconds. HPDE'ers, you'll just have to wait. Sorry.

This actually brings up a good point - I assume it's still legal to run the RA-1's, since they're slower. At least, no one would really care if you burn up your RA-1's, if you still have them. Or, was that the purpose of the 2-event grace period?

I gotta say, I'm not throwing away my half-used RA-1's yet. I'm only 0.2 seconds off the RR guys based on the last 2 weekends. That said, I haven't run the RR's, but I'm not throwing away hundreds of $'s of tires for 0.2 seconds. HPDE'ers, you'll just have to wait. Sorry.

This actually brings up a good point - I assume it's still legal to run the RA-1's, since they're slower. At least, no one would really care if you burn up your RA-1's, if you still have them. Or, was that the purpose of the 2-event grace period?

We had a guy run some Hoosiers on his car at CMP the last event and he just declared he was using them , he didn't get scored with a finish it was a DQ but he got to race. Rules state they are only legal up to the second race of your region so I would have to say they are done now with the Ra1's except for rain tires. I have a new set of RR's but haven't tried them yet maybe in May at CMP