CA T1 corvettes going to ST2 in 2013

Billy Bass

I'm happy to say we have decided to stay unified as a group and run with NASA next year in ST2. We are looking forward to an ST2 class of probably 12-15 cars in SoCal next year. I am currently the only one in NorCal, but hopefully this will spread North as well. Either way our group will do some racing at Sonoma and Thunderhill also next year. Many of us will also be going to Miller for the Nationals.

Bill

#78 ST2 Corvette

This is great news. ST2 here should be a great class next year.

The question is Bill, which of your Vettes will you race?

The fast one.... Great news indeed, now I have to go find another 25 WHP since there's nothing left to strip from this old war horse. Looking forward to hearing the roar of the Corvettes....

Are the T1 guys going to mod-up to ST2, or just run as T1 cars? I imagine if you're running your real ST2 car they'll have no choice but to mod-up.

Are the T1 guys going to mod-up to ST2, or just run as T1 cars? I imagine if you're running your real ST2 car they'll have no choice but to mod-up.

We'll l be adding wings and spitters, and dropping some weight. That should be enough for some close racing with the existing st2 cars.

• National Staff

Looking forward to it, guys. I'm glad that our rule changes are working out, and I suspect that both ST2 and ST3, as well as STR3 will all do well this year.

Didn't know you guys were able to add aero. Looking forward to watching you guys and I hope it works out well for everyone.

Thanks! Yes I assume most if not all of the guys will add aero. Some of the guys with adjustable shocks can use them for coil springs also. My existing ST2 car meets our gentlemen's agreement for mods except for my 3.73 rear diff. So while the agreement is intended to keep costs down, it should still allow for very fast and capable cars. I think a T1 grand sport like Chuck's or Buttermore's set up with aero will make an awesome ST2 car next year with the lower power to weight ratio. Let the fun begin!

• National Staff
Didn't know you guys were able to add aero. Looking forward to watching you guys and I hope it works out well for everyone.

Scott, the rules for the T1 cars are changing, and they will need some splitters, wings, and shocks/springs to stay competitive.

Scott, the rules for the T1 cars are changing, and they will need some splitters, wings, and shocks/springs to stay competitive.

The new T1 class is close to ST2 except at 7:1. This means the C5 will need significant engine upgrades which is too costly and not acceptable to us. Additionally, T1 does not have a power to weight rule so the cars will not be evenly matched, they try to equalized via defined restrictor size which is not very effective with the large number of car and engine variations they support.

• National Staff

The new T1 class is close to ST2 except at 7:1. This means the C5 will need significant engine upgrades which is too costly and not acceptable to us. Additionally, T1 does not have a power to weight rule so the cars will not be evenly matched, they try to equalized via defined restrictor size which is not very effective with the large number of car and engine variations they support.

That is different information than the last info that I have seen.

T1 will run basically under the current STO rules,

with different weights and restrictors designed to slow the current STO cars to T1 speed.

That is different information than the last info that I have seen.

T1 will run basically under the current STO rules,

with different weights and restrictors designed to slow the current STO cars to T1 speed.

That's the story the competition board sold the board of directors. if you read the full specs its designed around 475hp at 3,275. The baseline was an oem stock ls3, which is 430 minimum at rear wheels, plus headers which put you into the 475 range. A C6 bolts on headers and goes, the C5 must build their engines up 75-100 hp from stock.

But since their are no hp/lbs specs, its a big money engine class and a stock ls3 with headers will get eaten alive.

The baseline was an oem stock ls3, which is 430 minimum at rear wheels, plus headers which put you into the 475 range.

There's no way a stock LS3 is putting 430 to the rear wheels.

The baseline was an oem stock ls3, which is 430 minimum at rear wheels, plus headers which put you into the 475 range.

There's no way a stock LS3 is putting 430 to the rear wheels.

Yup, 432hp after 45,000 street miles, tuned on race gas!

this is great news!!! Bummer there isn't more Vettes in Norcal.....

Hmm.....makes me think really hard about my built LS2 I have sitting in the garage...520+hp..is too much for ST2 in my 928....mostly since its too light...

It sure will be fun next year......I'm looking forward to chasing Billy Bass....unlikely to catch him.....but I sure will try!!!!!

Hey Brian that would be great if you joined ST2. Maybe we can get some momentum for this class in Norcal. Otherwise I am thinking about racing SM or PTE next year in Norcal. Since you already have that LS2, you might consider swapping in an LS1 cam which would lower the hp but keep a lot of the torque. If it's still too high you can just run 91 pump gas and a safe tune with a restrictor. That's what I'm doing in my ST2 car right now with a stock LS6 at 366 whp.

Hey Brian that would be great if you joined ST2. Maybe we can get some momentum for this class in Norcal. Otherwise I am thinking about racing SM or PTE next year in Norcal. Since you already have that LS2, you might consider swapping in an LS1 cam which would lower the hp but keep a lot of the torque. If it's still too high you can just run 91 pump gas and a safe tune with a restrictor. That's what I'm doing in my ST2 car right now with a stock LS6 at 366 whp.

Right now with the heavy 928 engine I am at about 2830lbs wet off track.....with the LS2 it would be even lighter....around 2700-ish....so I would have to turn everything way down...all the way down to 310whp....but a quick remap and restrictor from 440+whp

Of course the 928 transmission is only reliable to about 350ftlbs too

• 3 months later...
I'm happy to say we have decided to stay unified as a group and run with NASA next year in ST2. We are looking forward to an ST2 class of probably 12-15 cars in SoCal next year. I am currently the only one in NorCal, but hopefully this will spread North as well. Either way our group will do some racing at Sonoma and Thunderhill also next year. Many of us will also be going to Miller for the Nationals.

Bill

#78 ST2 Corvette

Hey Bill, This is awesome news. Ever thought about renting the other vette? I promise I won't crash it

Bill

#78 ST2 Corvette

Hey Bill, This is awesome news. Ever thought about renting the other vette? I promise I won't crash it

Hey Tim, how are you? I tried emailing you last year but couldn't get through. Heard you sold your car. My old T1 car is setup for ST3 or ST2 with no aero right now, but it hasn't been driven or teched yet this year. I've had a couple people asking to buy it but I haven't really pushed to sell it because I still really like that car. I've also had some interest in renting it out so that's a possibility too. I'm still turning solo laps in ST2 in Norcal. I might have to demod this thing for PTE or put a bmw logo on the front and run GTS3.

Bill

#78 ST2 Corvette

Hey Tim, how are you? I tried emailing you last year but couldn't get through. Heard you sold your car. My old T1 car is setup for ST3 or ST2 with no aero right now, but it hasn't been driven or teched yet this year. I've had a couple people asking to buy it but I haven't really pushed to sell it because I still really like that car. I've also had some interest in renting it out so that's a possibility too. I'm still turning solo laps in ST2 in Norcal. I might have to demod this thing for PTE or put a bmw logo on the front and run GTS3.

Bill, PM sent.