Need advice on track car

jranaudo

After I did 2 HPDE's, I knew that my goal in the road racing world would be to move up to run wheel to wheel. I had a nice C5Z with a few mods on it and was quite fast on the track. But, it didn't have alot of the track mods that it needed to be compeititve in the classes that vettes ran in. And the cost to build the car was just WAY too expensive.

So I sold my C5Z and bought a race prepped C5Z. I did this for a few of reasons:

1. It was much cheaper to buy a built car than to build it.

2. It had all the safety mods and gear I needed for W2W (cage, harness, window net, seat, etc.)

3. It allowed me to get seat time in the car that I planned to race in down the road.

Looking back it was a great decision for me. By the time I got to Competition School, I felt right at home in my car and that I believe allowed me to get up to speed quicker with my competition. I currently have my race prepped vette for sale as I've decided to go into a different type of racing. So if you are interested in a track ready/race ready vette... let me know

I'm biased but I'm a huge E46 M3 fan. They're now starting to get pretty darn cheap on the used market. It's a really balanced, fun car, and works great for dual track/street duty.

One thing I would say though is that, after reading your initial statement about you having a family, you really should also consider WRX/STI. 4 door cars that will haul the kids during the day, and haul @$$ on the track can be great if the dual duty thing is important. Or if your budget suddenly triples, an E90 M3 fits that bill, too

Happy car hunting!

• 3 weeks later...

Anouther consideration is the new Mustangs. They are not what they used to be, The engine and chassis have been greatly improved. With the Brembo/Track pack, they are a great track tool out of the box. They do need some work to make them a hardcore track tool, but they are pretty affordable and a whole lot of fun

• 2 weeks later...

i am a huge fan of my mach 1 i love the looks handles ok not great and just a ton of fun on the street and on the track

i drag race, hpde, highspeed auto cross, and hoping to do some time trial races next year and for a bone stock car on stock tires with swaybars and lowering springs removed brake dust shields to aid in dropping rotor temps and some high temp pads and its a ton of fun

and my favorite thing is you show up at a track or a car show and people always flock to these things cause Very few will race them and such a shame

videos are with continental dw street tires pfc z rated pads and very first time out on a road coarse with my mach the posi clutches are wasted so you will hear the inside tire spinning on turns 1 and 2 other wise bone stock